Skip to content

Halfling dart-focused Assassin build advice wanted

Greetings,

I am working on building a Halfling assassin focused on darts for a small 4 person party and am thinking about the order of weapon proficiencies for this bloke. Current approach:

1 - darts, daggers (using bucklers)
4 - clubs (to have a blunt)
8 - short sword
12 - scimitar
16 - SWS
20 - TWF

I would like to use darts as my primary ranged weapon and DoV as primary melee weapon in BG, moving on to melee short swords/scimitars and thrown daggers in BG2. Conceptually I am not interested in quarterstaffs for this guy as that weapon does not agree with my role-play of a Halfling thief.

I have Rogue Rebalancing installed and there are some fun bucklers in this mod, so am also thinking to use bucklers from the beginning - something that would not be worth it without this specific mod given the lack of bucklers in both games - ending up with Kiel's buckler in Durlag's Tower and then perhaps the Rogue's Ward in BG2.

Comments welcome on the idea of using bucklers - and the rest of the build - as I have never tried bucklers or darts before and have been a SWS and Shortbow man..errr...Halfling in all previous run-throughs.

Thank you.

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    bump
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Darts can eat away at your finances but are actually very versatile.

If you are using a buckler, you should take Board and Sword instead of SWS. This will at least compensate for losing the AC from missile weapons.

There was a new buckler added to the merchant in FAI that gives a +1 con allowing you to gimp it to a 14-15. This gives you a magical option early in the game as well.

Besides that, it looks good.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    just remember if you eventually go two weapon style you can only put one proficiency point on it, so your to hit is going to be really bad, even at max level, you would be hard pressed to have a thac0 of 0, and if you are doing that, I assume you will be going in melee, well you will definitely want to invest in "use any item" as quickly as you can get it because your AC won't be all that great and for rogues the scarlet ninto-jo is probably one of the best dual wielding weapons for non fighter type classes ( can be found in the copper cohornet by joluv I believe his name is) but that scimitar can only be used by monks, until you get use any item that is, and remember, your HP might not be too hot for melee, so you will definitely want to crank the con to 16 and maybe use the pale green iounstone in SoA ( +1 to hit/ +10 % more HP) to help bump his combat abilities a little bit, and then of coarse as I mentioned earlier for hitting in combat, you will want to give this guy a belt of giant strength or be skilled in longswords because the one longsword in ToB when fully upgraded will increase your strength to 22 just for wielding it (angurvadal is the swords name)
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited August 2015
    I would not bother with short sword or clubs. There's not that many good one of thoses, so it's a waste to pick them. Better have another character use blunts.
    Maybe do:
    4-scimitar
    8-katana (for celestial fury)
    Or maybe get a sling instead for when you run out of good darts, halflings get +1 with slings. Bonus for magic slings and bullets stacks (like bow/arrows) so you get better attack compared to darts.
    It's also a waste to take both SWS and TWS.

If you don't plan to backstab much maybe go with another kit than assassin. Swashbuclers can specialize and dual wield completely.
    1 dart, dagger
    4 dart++
    8 dagger++
    12-20 TWS
    Although you would probably be better off with a fighter/thief for the extra attack and faster specialization points.

Shadowdancers are also very cool. They can hide in plain sight making you a very hard target for enemies.
    Thanks everyone for the good comments. I do plan to backstab, so for me the swashbuckler is not in the running. I just can't imagine a thief losing this ability, and if were going the combat thief route I would rather go for a F/Th (I have played that build in the past and want to go more roguish). I like the assassin for the ranged poison and will bring another thief (Imoen then Yoshimo until...) to handle the basics until my guy gets more skill points to play with.

On clubs, yes good point, and none of them stand out in BG 1 and they are only fair in BG2. It probably would make more sense to take the club in BG 1 if I was going solo to have a blunt option, but I plan to take Minsc and he has maces and Viconia also has hammers or maces.

I do like the scimitar proficiency for the higher damage output, the variety of piercing and slashing, and especially for the variety in BG 2. What about this version:

1 - scimitar, darts (use buckler)
    4 - dagger (for DoV, cannot afford earlier anyway, still use buckler)
    8 - SWS (prepare for BG2)
    12 - katana (for CF)
    16+ - open (short or long sword, etc.)

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    The best thing about darts is their rate of fire... and an Assassin can exploit that better than anyone by loading them up with poison. I would potentially look at slings as a way to deal heavier damage when poison won't get the job done (slings also have +5 options, which darts don't).

Scimitars are a solid pick as they have the best options to boost APR in melee.

Forget short swords... the options really aren't great. If you have Belm (later Scarlet Ninjato), then Kundane becomes redundant, I know Rogue Rebalancing upgrades the Short Sword of Backstabbing to improve the backstab multiplier, but that's already a strength for Assassins, so you're into overkill territory.

Daggers are a great pick with Rogue Rebalancing, as it adds a bunch of extras with tasty on-hit effects.

The main advantage to SWS is actually the increased critical hit range, which is well worth it... you can always unequip your buckler when needed.

I actually like clubs, as they have a scattering of elemental and similar effects... I once played a Halfling Bard who exclusively used Slings and Clubs (in melee, I RP'd it that the magical club heads were lodged in the end of his sling and used as a sort of flail).
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    I think your new plan is good. Starting with scimitars is a good choice, because you can get a free wakizashi +1 at the begining of BG1.

BTW the scarlet ninja-to +3 is not suitable for backstab (unless it's changed in your mod).

For early BG2, blade of roses +3 is convenient, so longsword is also a good choice for later proficiencies.
    edited August 2015
    I appreciate the new comments. Slings for later +5 ranged damage is a good idea for the enemies the +3 dart or +3 throwing dagger cannot hurt later in the game, did not think of that and the +1 THAC0 is an added extra. I could take it later in the build for additional tactical options.

On clubs I could be persuaded, since blunt damage is good and for those situations where the opponent is resistant to piercing/slashing/missile damage (skeleton warriors backstabs, jellies, etc.). I realize quarterstaffs are great mechanically, but I just do not like a Halfling sneak with them role-play wise, so that leaves clubs.

On short swords, you read my mind on the RR revised short sword of backstabbing.

Revised:
    1 - scimitar (go for the early +1 wakizashi), darts (use buckler)
    4 - dagger (for DoV, cannot afford earlier anyway, still use buckler)
    8 - SWS or clubs
    12 - SWS or clubs or long swords
    16 - sling (ranged damage for +4 and +5 opponents)
    20 - open (perhaps add TWF for tactical options, with RR mod thieves can have 3 pips)

I do not envision this bloke using katanas for Celstial Fury, but long swords could be an option in early SoA for Blade of Roses/Namarra (counter argument: already have slashing with scimitars/ninja-to, so not worth it).

I am thinking SWS will be most useful in SoA and later, but could be persuaded to include it earlier in place of clubs.
    Post edited by Aerakar on
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Note that Rogue Rebalancing allows rogues to place three pips in TWF as in pnp, unless you didn't install that component. If you plan to make use of this advantage, I'd go something like:

1 Darts, Scimitars (there are nice Scimitars in BG1, Belm and Scarlet Ninja-To are great for off-hand in BG2)
    4 TWF
    8 TWF
    12 Clubs/Staves (Staves are probably the best backstabbing weapon)
    16 TWF
    20 Two-Handed Weapon Style

You could also build toward TWF later on of course, to use it in the endgame when backstabs become a bit less useful. Dualwielding is nice with the Assassination HLA for instance.

I second the recommendation of using Slings, although with high DEX (possibly enhanced by Rogue Rebalancing items), the Assassin bonus, and the Halfling bonus, even without a proficiency pip, an Assassin should be fairly efficient with a Sling.
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Blackraven, this is useful. I am thinking to switch to TWF as you said later in the saga. I am thinking to use mainly darts and the dagger of venom plus bucklers in BG 1 (some of the Rogue Rebalancing bucklers seem interesting). I could even move the scimitar to BG 2 if DoV is adequate as the main melee weapon throughout BG 1. In BG 2 I am thinking to continue with darts and switch then to throwing daggers also.

I don't like quarterstaffs on thieves so will pass on that. Then as you suggest later towards UAI and HLAs around level 24 make the switch to TWF with scimitars with the RR mod TWF component.

Is it smart to not have a blunt option in BG 1? The arch-druid +2 club seems tactically useful for example against skeleton warriors if backstabbing (assuming no QS). Or is quarterstaff required to make it work and clubs are not useful? The one arch druid one seems ok (+2).

Lastly, what about SWS ?
    @Aerakar, do you wish to use the DoV for roleplaying purposes? If so, then please ignore what I'm about to say. The DoV has a couple of disadvantages for me:
    - it has very limited range, which means that a fast opponent may well hit your Assassin before they can retreat;
    - the poison damage is nice, but apart from the fact that it's subject to a save vs death (which admittedly most enemies won't consistently make), it'll often be superfluous since a few hits with Assassin poison normally suffices for the kill or at least slows down opponents so much that it's easy to finish them off with ranged weapons;
    - daggers deal piercing damage, the weakest of the three melee damage types (Skeletons for example, and Mustard Jellies are highly/fully resistant to piercing damage);
    - it's a dagger, a weapon of which there aren't many great ones in BG2.

Darts and Bucklers (I also like the Rogue Rebalancing ones, especially the Safeguard) are very solid in BG1 and most of BG2 though.
    There are good throwing daggers in BG2, though I prefer short bows there (Tuigan, Tansheron's, Gesen) and have a wide range of enchanted arrows to choose from. However from your OP I infer you'd like to avoid Bows.

If you don't want to use staves (as a fellow rogue player I also long had reservations, but I've come to like them for the opening backstab, after which I switch to blades), Clubs are nice. I do think that a blunt proficiency is worth it due to piercing and to a lesser extent slashing resistances, but this applies more to BG2 than BG1 imo. There are some nice Rogue Rebalancing and vanilla clubs in the game. If you wanted really competitive Clubs, you could consider installing the Item Upgrades mod.

SWS or THWS (for staves) are usually backbenchers for me since even non-critical backstab damage tends to be very good. This goes especially for an Assassin with poison damage.
    edited August 2015
    Blackraven, these are great insights. On the DoV, I had not considered the limited range issue and it is a valid concern. I just completed a BG 1 Halfling Bounty Hunter run where he used short bow (also for the arrows assortment, esp. the dispelling and biting) and the DoV, and moving away/kiting with DoV without getting hit was an issue. I do like daggers though for role playing this guy.

I have never used darts before and usually go with short bow with my thieves, having tried crossbows also but finding the Light Crossbow of Speed and assorted bolts damaging and fun yet missing the other effects and the higher short bow THAC0. With short bow and poison weapon the Arrows of Detonation as I understand are menacing, and of course the Arrows of Dispelling are ridiculously useful in BG 1. I only began using the dispelling arrows at the end of my last SCS game and I felt like I had discovered a miracle weapon! Are the dispelling arrows also available in BG 2? As I understand the detonation arrows are very limited in BG2.

On short bows versus darts for an assassin, which is better overall? It seems a trade-off of special effects versus somewhat higher APR, at least until Tuigan (and potentially the RR mod buckler advantages). Would it make sense to do both?

On the quarterstaff, I could be persuaded with some grumbling. After doing some on-line research, I do see now that Halflings often use staffs as a weapon, although it seems some mental gymnastics are required. I am not so interested in the Item Upgrades mod for now, so it seems clubs are less feasible for a full saga run, which is my intention.

Another dart-focused Halfling version:

1 Darts, Scimitars (use bucklers)
    4 Daggers
    8 Quarterstaff (situational, for blunt damage and later Staff Mace/Staff of Striking backstabs)/Clubs
    12 Slings
    16 THF
    20 SWS
    24+ TWF

Short bow-focused Halfling version:

1 Short bow, Scimitars (forget bucklers)
    4 SWS
    8 Quarterstaff (situational, for blunt damage and later Staff Mace/Staff of Striking backstabs)
    12 THF
    16+ TWF

@Aerakar, you're right in that detonation arrows are very rare in BG2. Arrows of dispelling less so: Marina sells them at the Thieves Guild with Rogue Rebalancing installed, and the fletcher at Waukeen's promenade sells quite a few of them as well (he can also be stolen from). I think you should be able to acquire about 100 of them, which will get you a long way. I agree they're awesome.
    A second reason (besides backstabbing advantages) my - often solo - Thieves tend to end up using Staves is the Staff of the Magi, with its dispel on hit property.

Your latest proficiency set-ups, for both the Bowslinger and the Darts-thrower, look very good.

I'd like to see how your character fares. Would you mind sharing your progress on the forums?
    Blackraven, I have waffled on the short bow - and those Arrows of Detonation with poison are oh so tempting - but I just did a short bow Halfling bounty hunter run so will try my original concept of a Halfling dart-focused assassin, having never used darts/bucklers before. In BG 2 I may switch out slings for short bows for the dispelling arrows and to expand options with Tuigan at level 12 (and ditch the bucklers), will decide late.

I very much enjoyed the last bloke, the bounty hunter with those Halfling savings throws and thief bonuses, and am sure this one will be just as fun. Will keep you posted on progress!

By the way, do I understand correctly that Drizzt's scimitars can no longer be pickpocketed? Do you ever try and get those with scimitar builds like this one?
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Would like to mention that you can get a Short Sword +4 right after leaving Irenicus dungeon in BG2. So it would be worth getting short sword proficiency at level 8 for that. It's one of the few powerful level 4 weapons you can get early on.
    SionIV said:

Would like to mention that you can get a Short Sword +4 right after leaving Irenicus dungeon in BG2. So it would be worth getting short sword proficiency at level 8 for that. It's one of the few powerful level 4 weapons you can get early on.

Short Sword of Mask, I presume?

I found it really underwhelming, and then you have nowhere better to go with the weapon class... Also, it's expensive, and very immersion breaking to rush straight there and pick it up.
    edited August 2015
    abacus said:

SionIV said:

I found it really underwhelming, and then you have nowhere better to go with the weapon class... Also, it's expensive, and very immersion breaking to rush straight there and pick it up.
    It's not that expensive, possible to get after doing the slavers quest, even before that if you're a rogue. It's a +4 weapon which automatically makes it awesome (+4 thac0) and you're able to kill Kangaxx and pretty much everything else in SoA with it (minus a demon in underdark). It has entangle on hit (24 seconds) at level 4 and if you chose to upgrade it to level 5 you'll also gain level drain.

It's not the best weapon in the game, but it's the easiest way to get a +4 weapon and it'll help a lot.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I find that there are many good daggers and short swords in bg2.. just because they have lower enchantment does not mean that they do not have fun combat effects.
    edited August 2015
    SionIV said:

abacus said:

SionIV said:

It's not that expensive, possible to get after doing the slavers quest, even before that if you're a rogue. It's a +4 weapon which automatically makes it awesome (+4 thac0) and you're able to kill Kangaxx and pretty much everything else in SoA with it (minus a demon in underdark). It has entangle on hit (24 seconds) at level 4 and if you chose to upgrade it to level 5 you'll also gain level drain.

It's not the best weapon in the game, but it's the easiest way to get a +4 weapon and it'll help a lot.
    Staff of Rynn is on the first map, costs a fraction of the price, does a more all-round effective damage type and has better options in the late game. I love short swords as an RP concept, but they really suck if power-play is any part of your decision making process... Even Kundane is inferior to Belm (piercing vs slashing, d6 vs d8).
    edited August 2015
    abacus said:

SionIV said:

abacus said:

SionIV said:

Staff of Rynn is on the first map, costs a fraction of the price, does a more all-round effective damage type and has better options in the late game. I love short swords as an RP concept, but they really suck if power-play is any part of your decision making process... Even Kundane is inferior to Belm (piercing vs slashing, d6 vs d8).
    Staff of Rynn is 1d6 as well, but is a two handed weapon so you can't dual wield or use a buckler. They got the same damage, but the short sword of mask got a nice ability (entangle). The only difference is crushing and piercing damage.
    edited August 2015
    Thanks SionIV for the suggestion on the Sword of Mask.

My Halfling Assassin is entering Beregost, with pips in darts and scimitars and carrying a buckler. The darts are fun as a change of pace and the number of attacks is noticeable. It is still early of course, but for now I can quite often take down the low level fodder like hobgoblins or xvarts without fail given the 3 attacks. With normal short bows at low level with the thief THACO, Imoen misses enough that she tends to retreat more often if she attracts a melee opponent.

On the short sword debate, I agree the Sword of Mask is a good starter weapon and available early in SoA, and that Crimson Dart is also tempting to snag early. That being said, I may hold off on Watcher's Keep until later and try some of the other weapons first that work with bucklers, e.g. ninja-to, wakizashi, scimitars, throwing daggers. The RR mod which I am using introduces some fun versions of these weapons and more bucklers, all available still in Athkatla. I will still use staves for the occasional backstab.

But for now back to BG 1. The dart throwing animation is outstandingly fun! I bet inventory management is going to bite shortly though...
    There is also a mod out there (Rogue Rebalancing?) that improves the Short Sword of Backstabbing, turning it into a very powerful weapon for rogues.
    Yes, it is Rogue Rebalancing - the SSoB becomes for thieves +5 THACO/+3 damage and also adds +1 backstab modifier in BG 1. In BG2 this increases +5 on damage. Also in BG 2 the sword becomes available only later in the game.

In TOB it can be upgraded to increase the crit range by +2 by Cespenar. The Cyric assassins encounter also adds a +4 short sword that has some on hit effects like poison.
    edited November 2015
    I discontinued this run to play my Dwarven Bounty Hunter (he was a blast to play through BG1 and love his concept, thanks @bengoshi and @Blackraven for the advice on that build), but am restarting a new Halfling Assassin with this plan:

1 Darts, Dagger
    4 SWS
    8 Short bow
    12 Scimitar
    16 Quarterstaff or Club

I want to be able to use both short bows and darts in both games for more ranged tactical options, i.e. darts of wounding/stunning, elemental darts, arrows of dispelling, arrows of detonation with AOE poison (thanks @Gallowglass for this idea after reading a post by you about a Halfling assassin run in another thread). I will add throwing daggers (for added strength damage after snagging the hill giant belt and +2 boomerang dagger in early SoA) into the mix in BG2.

I will use bucklers again also occasionally. He will go for the DoV in BGEE and then switch to scimitars in BG2EE.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Aerakar said:

... arrows of detonation with AOE poison (thanks @Gallowglass for this idea after reading a post by you about a Halfling assassin run in another thread).

You're welcome. However, although I may have mentioned this feature, it's a rather cheesy for my taste (but YMMV). I don't recall my Halfling Assassin ever actually using this trick in anger, except once to verify that it works.

Nevertheless, yes, my Assassin having both Sbow and Dart proved very useful for tactical flexibility. I recommend it.
    Yes @Gallowglass, I meant using regularly both short bow and darts as you did in your run (not the AOE poison from the arrows of detonation, I was aware of this and yes you did not mention using this tactic).

For some reason - and I have no idea why given both Tuigan and Crimson Dart's appeal - I never considered previously training in both of these missile weapons with an assassin. Probably because I was more concerned with developing blades with my assassins, leaving melee to be secondary. This is in fact backwards with a Halfling (or any) assassin it seems, as ranged is his strength, at least in BGEE and SOA.