Skip to content

Shields in Baldur's Gate 2 that use the wrong model.

This has been in the game since it was released, there are certain shields that have the wrong model. The Shield of the Lost +2 and Dragon Scale Shield +2, are both medium shields (and require +12 STR) but use the model of a small shield.

Is there a reason this hasn't been corrected in BG2:EE?

Comments

• jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Sounds like a mistake. Seem to remember you can report those on one of these forums somewhere.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2015

Sounds like a mistake. Seem to remember you can report those on one of these forums somewhere.

I didn't want to report it, because I didn't know if it was a mistake or supposed to be like this. I'm sure someone would have corrected it by now, if it was a mistake.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    SionIV said:

I'm sure someone would have corrected it by now, if it was a mistake.

Oh my sweet summer child.
    edited December 2015
    What are the chances that something as obvious as two shields having the wrong model, didn't get noticed all these years? They are also some of the best shields in SoA. Wasn't sure if it was intended or not, which is why I asked here first. :smile:

I hate the model on the small shield, which is why I'm not using these two shields, even though they are better than what I have.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Dragon Scale Shield (SHLD21) uses an alternate Medium Shield appearance (C7), so that's accurate to what it is (although it also looks nothing like the item icon). Arguably this shield would look closer to its design with one of the other Medium Shield models, but none of them really match the Dragon Scale Shield's icon.

Shield of the Lost (SHLD26) actually uses an alternate Large Shield appearance (C5), so that's not quite accurate, although A) the model it currently uses matches the item icon perfectly, and B) the model is smaller than a Large Shield normally would be.

I wouldn't call either of these cases a bug.
    Dee said:

Dragon Scale Shield (SHLD21) uses an alternate Medium Shield appearance (C7), so that's accurate to what it is (although it also looks nothing like the item icon). Arguably this shield would look closer to its design with one of the other Medium Shield models, but none of them really match the Dragon Scale Shield's icon.

Shield of the Lost (SHLD26) actually uses an alternate Large Shield appearance (C5), so that's not quite accurate, although A) the model it currently uses matches the item icon perfectly, and B) the model is smaller than a Large Shield normally would be.

I wouldn't call either of these cases a bug.

They both have the same size as an ordinary small shield, and look nothing like a large shield OR a medium shield.
    edited December 2015
    I took some pictures, to compare them. The Dragon Scale is a lot smaller than an ordinary medium shield, but you could argue that it's because of the unique shape, it looks like shit in my opinion.

There is no saving the Shield of the Lost, it's a third of the size, when you compare it to a large shield.

I had to zoom out when taking the pictures, or the pixels are way too blurry.

And I'm not saying it's a bug (it's the reason I didn't post this thread in the bug forum). I just don't see why they chose to use those models, why is a large shield the same size as a small shield? Why is the Dragon Crest Shield so much smaller than the original medium shield? I didn't know that they used unique large shield/medium shield models, and it's even more surprising that they put a large shield model onto the Shield of The Lost, as it's a medium shield. The shield of the Lost have a 12 STR requirement (medium shield) instead of the 15 STR requirement (Large Shield).
    I was only clarifying for those who were asking why you didn't report it as a bug. I don't disagree that the current models are a little off in terms of size and appearance, even if their models are labeled as Medium.

I think these icons actually come from 1PP, which was integrated as part of the Enhanced Edition treatment (the original Dragon Scale shield looked a lot closer to the description sketch, and was more obviously a Medium Shield). If you want to make a Feature Request to restore their original icons and models, I'll make sure it at least gets heard. :)
    Dee said:

I was only clarifying for those who were asking why you didn't report it as a bug. I don't disagree that the current models are a little off in terms of size and appearance, even if their models are labeled as Medium.

I think these icons actually come from 1PP, which was integrated as part of the Enhanced Edition treatment (the original Dragon Scale shield looked a lot closer to the description sketch, and was more obviously a Medium Shield). If you want to make a Feature Request to restore their original icons and models, I'll make sure it at least gets heard. :)

Thank you, I made a thread in the feature request section of the forum. :smile:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/45034/restoring-shields-in-baldurs-gate-2#latest
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    1pp screwed up a lot of the glowing items too. @Dee and I had a discussion about that previously. I would hope that some of those would be fixed some time too...
    To be clear, 1PP was integrated for a reason--just because it came from 1PP doesn't mean it's automatically a mistake. If there's a specific instance that people want us to look at (like the shields mentioned in this thread), that's something we can at least look into.

When it becomes a laundry list of items (like the glowing items Tresset is referring to), that becomes prohibitively complicated to investigate--these things are all subjective, which means each case has to be looked at from a perspective of "What does it do right now," followed by "What do we want it to do," and then finally "What are we going to do." That's not really a process that should be executed en masse.

To look at it another way, because hey, these games take place in a fantasy world:

[spoiler=The King's Tent]
    A king visits a town, and offers to answer questions and solve problems for the local townsfolk. A great festival is held in the town square, after which a crowd of townspeople gather outside the king's tent, each awaiting their turn to present their problem before His Majesty.

The first person to enter the tent is a young goatherd, dressed in rags and leaning on his crook. With tears in his eyes, the goatherd says, "I have a goat that's sick, and my livelihood depends on her milk. What should I do?"

"Such a tragedy!" the king exclaims. He calls for the royal healer, who appears at his side in a moment. "Go with this man," says the king, "and cure his goat of whatever sickness ails her."

His heart lightened, the goatherd leads the healer away.

The next person to enter the tent is an old woman, a soldier, who leans on her spear and walks with a limp. Stopping before the king, she bows as best she can and says, "I don't want to fight in your wars anymore. I am crippled and old, and I wish to live out the rest of my life in peace."

"You have fought bravely in my name," says the king, and waves his hand for the royal scribe. "Strike this woman's name from the draft lists," he says, "and release her from her duties. Let this poor woman live the rest of her life in peace."

Bowing her head in gratitude, the old soldier leaves to join her family.

The third person to enter the tent is a man in a hooded black cloak. He does not remove his hood as he enters, but he bows deeply, and says, "Your Majesty, the prisons are full of innocent men and women who are being punished unjustly. Release them from their chains, all of them, so that they may rejoin their families in freedom and liberty."

At this, the king's brow tightens, his eyes darken, and his smile droops into a frown. "Not all of the people in the prison are innocent, young man," he says. "Some of them are guilty of grievous crimes that should not go unpunished. But I also do not wish to imprison innocent people. If you can give me the names of five prisoners whose sentences are unjust, I will consider their cases."

The hooded man bows his head, and says, "You are wise and just; but until all innocent men and women are free, my request will not be satisfied."

And so the man remains in the tent; he sits on the ground and folds his legs together, and refuses to leave. The line outside the tent grows and grows, and the people grow more impatient, as the king sits and considers each prisoner's case on a list of more than a hundred. Many of these prisoners are indeed guilty; some of them guilty of treasonous acts or brazen violence against the town itself.

Days pass. Weeks. At the end of the third moon, the king bows his head. The list is at last complete, and a new list of prisoners to be released has been created. "Send the list to the prison's warden," says the king. "Release the prisoners whose names are on that list, and send them home to their families."

"Thank you," says the hooded man, and he leaves.

Outside the tent, a dragon has burned the town to cinders; a giant has wandered off with the livestock; a band of marauders have taken the town's valuables; and a necromancer has cursed the dead and begun marching an army of skeletons across the land.

A dying woman crawls into the tent and says, "Our people are suffering! You have been in this tent for months while we waited to present our problems, and you did nothing!"

But the king is not listening to the woman. He is thinking about that list, and wondering if there were names on it of prisoners who should not have been released after all...
    [/spoiler]
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I understand that... I just miss the glow that was removed from many of the items... A lot of them used to be so pretty... :cry:

I know it is only a tiny issue anyway... I am not really all that concerned.