Skip to content

I hate this game.

KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
- Don't you love this job planning encounters for a D&D videogame?
- I sure do!
- Well, here's my latest creation: DRAGON'S EYE! Sounds cool, eh?
- Sure does! It might be the most original dungeon name I have ever heard!
- Oh, stop it, you. Anyway, I've got some great ideas for this dungeon.
- Eh?
- Well, basically, it's going to be a series of straightfoward encounters with Lizard Men which are way too weak for a party at the level you're expected to be at this point of the game.
- Won't that be too easy?
- Well, yes, but don't worry. I'm going to alternate these encounters with more straightforward combat encounters with monsters that are way too HARD for a party of the same level. That ought to make everything more balanced, no?
- Can't see why it wouldn't!
- So anyway, here is where they run into trolls, right? Everybody loves those because there's an element of strategy.
- How so?
- Well, you see, trolls can't be killed only by brute force. They fall down for a few rounds during which only fire or acid can kill them.
- That's certainly an imaginative tactical challenge.
- But wait, you haven't heard the best part! At the end of this level I'm working on, I've got an encounter with a few Talonite priests and TEN trolls!
- *Ten* trolls?
- It's part of my new "be hardcore" policy.
- What level is the party supposed to be?
- Oh, like 6 or so.
- So this encounter is supposed to be a 6th level party against a whole group of clerics who have all sorts of disabling spells, accompanied by no less than ten monsters with low THAC0 and AC who have to be killed with a specific type of attack, lest they regenerate and attack you again?
- Yeah.
- You know, I think that might be too much. Most players are just going to end up kiting the monsters in small groups.
- Don't be silly. We've got this new call-for-help AI script. You can't do that. They all gang up on the party at once.
- I see.
- Told you I was totally hardcore, man.

Comments

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Well, Dragon's Eye is pretty awful...
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    edited December 2015
    Edit: Sorry, I was being unnecessarily rude.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I loved that fight on my first playthrough.

"Holy crap lookit all those trolls!"
    "Spellcasters!"
    "Fireball!"
    "Fireball!"
    "Fireball!"
    "Fireball!"
    "Fireball!"

Glad we had a sorceress and a cleric/mage along.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    I absolutely love Dragon Eye, it's one of my favorite dungeons ever. The battle in the pyramid room can be a challenge at first, but with good tactics it can be won by almost any party (and there's plenty of fire based weapons available at this point in the game).
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Actually you don't have to do that fight :)
    edited December 2015

Funny that! You don't even "have to" play the game...
  • ReibornReiborn Member Posts: 156
    I agree to some extent.
    I'm playing Icewind Dale for the first time ever and it's EE version.
    I'm in deep levels of dragons eye and I know on which part you met those priests.
    What I did was to clear small area around a bridge the lure the whole room to that bridge and bottleneck them. on my front lines were "animate dead" and "summon monster I" creatures to hold them back until they cast all their nonsense wolololololo thingies.
    while they were at it my priest casted "silence" on them and suddenly all casters went to dagger shiving mode.

until they finished that my bard casted haste and my sorcerer (DD kit) spammed a stack of 3 skull traps.
    1 big nuke and then my team moved in to kick some arse.

when all trolls were down I used breath weapon of the Dragon Disciple to kill them all.

Also ranged weapon with enchantments are your friends. 3 archers can kill pretty much anything when focus fire.

playing on Core difficulty.

There are many battles like this in the game where you need to adjust your entire way of playing to compensate. comes to mind the skeleton mages in the vale of darkness.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2015
    I never had any trouble with the monsters in Dragon's Eye, not even the trolls. But that Yxunomei, she can go fuck herself, especially on no-reload games.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited December 2015
    Look, I know the thread title is sort of inflammatory, but
    atcDave said:

Funny that! You don't even "have to" play the game...
    I'm kinda heartbroken by the contemptuous tone. I can live with some of the other rude replies, but you're actually one of my favorite posters around here. I've always enjoyed reading your insights on AD&D.
    That was meant to be funny. No offense intended.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    No, no, no, that's the wrong answer. I want to justify my being dramatic!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yeah, you can't judge tone from a one line post
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    That's why we love IWD. S2
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    It's one of my favorite fights. I have to say though...having two dwarven defenders and a bottleneck with cleric backup makes any fight fun. ;)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Say what you will about the name of the dungeon, pretty much everything else about it is quite original. When's the last time you ever went into a DORMANT volcano in another video game? Most volcanoes in video games exist solely to erupt. Furthermore, volcano levels in video games tend to be filled with fire monsters, and Dragon's Eye has none at all in IWD1.

Usually what I do against all those trolls is to kill some of them, retreat to the lizardman area when things are getting out of hand (the enemies in the troll area can't move to the lizardman area), rest, then go at it again, and now there are less trolls to fight.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    I am a RPer first and I never thought Dragon's Eye was that tough. Fun yes. Challenging.. Yes quite a bit. Unforforgiven.... Not a chance. Better AI in IWDEE but also better party builds. Sorcery in party makes that fight a breeze. So does Skald.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    When I first played it, i had to rest after every battle. Now, the fights are challenging, but manageable. And i don't even optimise. It's all a matter of practice, really. :)
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    joluv said:

I'm trademarking Unforforgiven so watch ya'self!
    A fun thing to do when you're fighting trolls in a bottleneck is get one or two mostly dead right in the pathway. Then the others can't get to you and you can kill them with missile weapons.
  • And after they're all down, fireball the lot?
    Fireballs are for hard fights :smiley:

Actually in the fight at the pyramid, the fireballs were aimed at the back of the enemy to kill the clerics. Downed trolls were taken out with acid and fire arrows or flaming blades.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I'm pretty sure the waterdeep prisoners drop a sword of flame a level or two below.

It's heart-breaking to kill them for no reason... but dat loot!