Skip to content

Who's your favorite BG1EE CLERIC?

2»

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Buy Yeslick Buckley's Buckler from the FAI, and he's got Maximum-Power Shorty Saves too.

You might well expect it to work that way, but actually no.

Buckley's Buckler doesn't boost his shorty saves, because shorty saves are calculated from a character's base CON, i.e. his CON before any adjustments for equipment (such as +1 for Buckley's Buckler or -2 for the Claw of Kazgaroth).
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Actually I like Jaheira most for my daily clericing, although she isn't an actual cleric. She's still more cleric thanDynaheir or Xzar. :P
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360

Buy Yeslick Buckley's Buckler from the FAI, and he's got Maximum-Power Shorty Saves too.

You might well expect it to work that way, but actually no.
    Wasn't the crux of that trick that the Con bonuses to saving throws were determined upon gaining a level? So that, just by having the buckler atr the time you leveled up, you could get the benefits (to saves only, of course) for the whole level to come?

I never tried it but I'm pretty sure i that's what I heard.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    elminster said:

Jalantha Mistmyr

Its from her that I learned that "the bitch queen brooks no insolence."

A lesson which all are wise to heed.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Chnapy said:

Wasn't the crux of that trick that the Con bonuses to saving throws were determined upon gaining a level? So that, just by having the buckler atr the time you leveled up, you could get the benefits (to saves only, of course) for the whole level to come?

I never tried it but I'm pretty sure i that's what I heard.

If it ever did work that way (I don't recall ever testing this properly in original BG1), then that would have been a bug, and anyway it doesn't work like that now (so if there was such a bug, then they've fixed it).

I did test the effect when levelling, as well as merely when equipping the relevant items - equipping Buckley's Buckler on Yeslick doesn't change his saves, and if you then level him up, he gets only the normal levelling benefit to his saves, not some extra for re-calculating his shorty saves. The latter only happens when you change the permanent base CON (e.g. with a Tome).
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    @Gallowglass @Chnapy yes, shorty saves are calculated from base CON :smile:
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    Calmar said:

Actually I like Jaheira most for my daily clericing, although she isn't an actual cleric. She's still more cleric thanDynaheir or Xzar. :P

Well, tecnically she is a druid, while the others can actually become clerics and reach lvl 8 just like a pure class cleric. One can even argue that in that aspect they are more clerics than the multiclassed ones. Having an evil runthrough with (chaotic evil) Yeslick and Xzar, while Monteron is a statue in Naskel... They are actually good together, buffs/debuffs are cast twice as fast, then one acts like a fighter and the other as a backup caster (or he'll do when he regains necromancer lvl).
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I like my Clerics stoned when I first see them
    and those northern girls with the way they kiss they keep their boyfriends warm at night
    I wish they could be
  • marcellusmarcellus Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2015
    Viconia's great, but rolling your own F/C is always a solid choice, too. With a high dexterity, you don't need the Gauntlets of Dexterity, unlike Anomen. With DUHM and another buff, you don't need Crom, freeing up the items needed to create it. Your whole party benefits from a F/C Charname because they're able to keep the gear they need. Not to mention, they're basically just nifty fighters. They're fun.

Post edited by marcellus on
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    Love me some Brannie. I can't put into words how disappointed I was that she didn't show up in BG2. You get her early, she gets along with everybody, she says funny stuff, she has that hot Nordic accent, and she has a serious and legitimate vendetta against the bandits.
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    If not for my Character Cleric/Ranger and my favorite NPC Mod ( Gavin Mor) I would have to vote for Branwen. She is a good addition for a good aligned party. But I do have the Gavin Mor Mod....soooo, I will cast an illegal vote for him :wink:
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    Khalid.
    :wink:

Because I almost always play a mage character, I turn Khalid into a cleric using NI and EEKeeper.
    If not, my favorite cleric is... myself, actually - until I dual into mage just before starting chapter 4 in BG2.

• VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    I love Branwen, because her story is so good, as @Nonnahswriter said. She's a stone that you turn back to life, and then she have some kind of debt with the main character. Also, she's the Cleric with the highest Wisdom in Baldur's Gate I. I give the bonus spells rings for her, and she becomes pratically a battery of healing.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Tiax got badly shafted by the original BG1 devs when they placed his starting location at such a late stage of the game. If you use a mod to relocate him to Beregost, then he's easily one of the best NPCs in the game IMO - his summon ghast ability is awesome, and is particularly handy in battles with spiders and basilisks.

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Just like with all of life's problems, Viconia is the correct answer.
  • PaarethPaareth Member Posts: 34
    There is only one answer. Viconia.

One day I will make a mod that is just viconia standing on a map, and that will be good enough.