Skip to content

crazy prices for magic weapons (warning, potential spoilers)

The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovAbel

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    For those two examples, I can give a partial defense of the pricing. First, long swords are significantly better than maces in IWD, and having a cheap +3 mace available early balances that out a bit. Second, that particular sword can be upgraded, which makes it slightly less ridiculous. I agree, though, that the difference is absurdly large.
    JuliusBorisov
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Those prices sound more reasonable. I thought you could upgrade it for free
    just by having a Bard sing The Ballad of Daen Winterbrush.

(Do you want to put a spoiler warning in the thread title?)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    That is common for many games. New characters say things like "I don't know...3 gold for a room in the inn...I think we'll just sleep out in the woods and save the money" while high-level characters wonder where they can store all the +3 weapons they weren't able to sell because the shop ran out of money.
    JuliusBorisovAbelGrum
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @subtledoctor The economy in general is nonsense in RPGS.
    semiticgoddessAbelCalmarNimran
    I was merely commenting on the quirky economics inherent to most games. There are items which have seemingly random price points (why is a generic long sword +2 priced at 5000 gp while a flaming long sword +1 is priced at 7500 gold but the flaming short sword +2 is priced at only 4000 gp?) and that many times players wind up being able to "break the bank", completely disrupting the economy of the local region. Can Taerom Fuiruim really afford multiple ankheg shells, especially with the iron crisis facing the middle Sword Coast? If I can steal then fence items back to the Black Market Thief in the Docks District, netting myself over 250,000 gold (which I have done before), then why do the Shadow Thieves want 20,000 to rescue Imoen? Why don't they just take the money from him?

Conlan's shop is particularly vulnerable to this illogical situation. Way out in Kuldahar, a remote village which doesn't even qualify as one of the Ten Towns, who is ever going to buy The Blade of Bael for 28,000 gold or Lonesome Road for 35,000? If he has all these great weapons and armor then why doesn't anyone use them to defend the town when neo-orog marauders attack? *shrug*

Just idle questions, that's all. There may not even be a point.
    FinneousPJ[Deleted User]semiticgoddessAbel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I concur--figurines should be usable from once to thrice daily, depending upon the relative power level of the creature they summon.