Skip to content

Seige of dragonspear musings

Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
i am so excited for the expansion and i have pre-ordered and bought everything so far and in the time between announced and its to be release date announcement and after looking at the FAQ's i didn't find answers to the questions i have, im not really looking for an answer as most will probably be either "we can't tell you" or "we haven't gotten that far yet" so let me ramble on and see if anyone else had these thoughts:

1: will neera, dorn etc be in siege of dragonspear? im pretty sure they would be and it would be cool to see,

2: would we be able to see clara in this before hexxat came along? (thats pretty spoilers free JUST IN CASE someone hasn't gotten that far yet) because that would be awesome as i would like the first character we see to be fleshed out chances of this are slim but these are my musings after all

3: seeing as both baldur's gates were around £13-£15 i am guessing at around £10 for the expansion which im more than willing to pay for, hell i'd pay £15 for it easily if it meant more baldur's gate.

4: it amuses me that this 25 hour EXPANSION is larger than quite alot of AAA games to play through

5: seeing as this IS your first stand alone project (aka not enhancing anything) will your own made characters have more of a role than the ones from bioware? or will you maintain a fair balance between them all?

6: will you update baldurs gate 2 to include references to seige of dragon spear? probably not would be a bit too much effort involved

7: will the characters in siege of dragon spear (assuming they all survive) become playable characters in baldurs gate two? that would be fun, a full party of new people sounds really fun!

7a: or are you going to have the new characters (assuming they are alive) be the ones killed by irenicus to fuel his experiments on you? that would be a sick twist that would add a tonne of emotions good or bad into the mix

8: is siege of dragonspear before or after throne of bhaal?...no wait...tales of the sword cost....the first expansion (not played it yet as i don't know how to start it, didn't know how to get it started on CD back in the 90's)

9: will there be boo?

10: can i have my own boo?

11: will you be adding more character specific items?

and that's my musings hoped you enjoyed? if you wish to answer my musings i wont stop them, or if you wish to discuss my musings in greater details lets do so!

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    Just pointing out its "Siege" not "Seige" :)

Siege comes after Tales of the Sword Coast (chronologically speaking). Can't answer any of the other questions.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    elminster said:

Just pointing out its "Siege" not "Seige" :)

Siege comes after Tales of the Sword Coast (chronologically speaking). Can't answer any of the other questions.

have you considered any of the things i mused about in SIEGE of dragonspear? (happy now)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I just do QA so I don't make any decisions on what is in the game. I can't really answer your questions.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @elminster is tied up with non-disclosure policies because he's staff, so I'll try to answer instead.

1: will neera, dorn etc be in siege of dragonspear?

Yes, Neera and Dorn are both confirmed.

2: would we be able to see clara in this before hexxat came along?

I doubt it, since when we meet her in BG2ee, she's a stranger to us.

3: seeing as both baldur's gates were around £13-£15 i am guessing at around £10 for the expansion which im more than willing to pay for, hell i'd pay £15 for it easily if it meant more baldur's gate.

I seem to recall that both cost more than that when they first came out, and I expect SoD will also cost more than that at first. Of course it'll be cheaper later, if you're willing to wait.

5: seeing as this IS your first stand alone project (aka not enhancing anything) will your own made characters have more of a role than the ones from bioware? or will you maintain a fair balance between them all?

It's a good bet that the Bioware characters which are available to stay in the party through SoD will have a substantial role, but we've also been warned that some of the Bioware characters will not stay with us in SoD. We don't yet know full details of which ones are which, but at least Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira, Khalid, Safana, Viconia and Edwin are all in SoD, as well as Beamdog's "own brand" characters. There may or may not be some other Bioware characters with a role, we don't know yet.

6: will you update baldurs gate 2 to include references to seige of dragon spear? probably not would be a bit too much effort involved

They've already done that to some extent - in BG2ee, there are a few SoD references in banters involving the EE characters. Not very much, however, so perhaps they might add some more.

7: will the characters in siege of dragon spear (assuming they all survive) become playable characters in baldurs gate two?

At present, no. The devs have said that they might do this later, if SoD is sufficiently popular.

8: is siege of dragonspear before or after throne of bhaal?...no wait...tales of the sword cost

Tales of the Sword Coast is built in to BG1ee, no longer a separate expansion. If you've played through all of BG1ee, then you've played TotSC - all the material which starts from Ulgoth's Beard is the TotSC content. SoD is after the end of BG1ee, so obviously it's later than TotSC.

9: will there be boo?

Yes. Minsc is in it, so naturally Boo must be there too.

10: can i have my own boo?

No.

11: will you be adding more character specific items?

Certainly there are lots of new items, that's confirmed. Whether any of them are restricted to specific characters isn't yet known, but I guess it's likely that a few will be.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    thank you for clearing this all up, but after i beat baldurs gate i saw no Ulgoth after the credits rolled...when i beat the game again this time (using a really powerful cavalier, this class is really good) ill keep an eye out.

now im even more excited :D!

thank you for clearing this all up, but after i beat baldurs gate i saw no Ulgoth after the credits rolled...

No, it's not after the credits, it's included into the ordinary course of the game. TotSC added new locations and optional quests into the existing game, it wasn't a continuation of the story. (Once the credits roll, the game is over, whether or not you chose to explore the additional content.)

Ulgoth's Beard is a village at the top right (i.e. north-east) corner of the world map. Durlag's Tower is another location, shown in the east of the map, near Ulcaster and Firewine. Both of these (plus another couple of places not shown on the world map) were added in by TotSC, not part of the original game as first published.

If those two features aren't on the map, then that's not the Enhanced Edition which you're playing ... no, wait, you're using a Cavalier, which you wouldn't have had available in original BG1, so you must be using Enhanced Edition.

Can't you see Ulgoth's Beard at the top right corner?
  • KennisKennis Member Posts: 124
    I just wish I knew if I could keep Kagain in SoD. I'm playing an evil party...well, I really wish I could back port Korgan from BG2EE. Or to know if I could keep the goblin Shaman through BG2EE. Any news on that from would help me plan now. :)
    Kennis said:

I just wish I knew if I could keep Kagain in SoD.

We don't know yet. My guess is no, I reckon he's probably one of the ones we won't be able to keep, but I might be wrong.
    Kennis said:

Or to know if I could keep the goblin Shaman through BG2EE.

No, you can't. The devs have said that they'll consider adding the new SoD characters into BG2ee if SoD turns out to be sufficiently popular, so this might (or might not) happen later, but when it first comes out the four new characters (including the goblin Shaman) will appear only in SoD.