Skip to content

Sick at home. What should I play this weekend?

DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
Sitting here with a nasty cough, and can't come up with anything to kill time. Since we're all waiting for SoD, I don't want to get into a BG game, and I've played the hell out of fallout 4. After all the fallout 4, I'm kind of itching for a CRPG to change things up from the FPS. I've tried several times to get into Divinity: OS, but eventually just find the game tedious and stop having fun. I'm not really in the mood for wasteland 2 either, I guess I need a break from the post apocalyptic setting. I've also played the NWN games too much to want to get into them, again. I could go on a big rant on why Pillars of Eternity didn't do anything for me, but I won't. I've never been able to get through Icewind Dale, either, I just lose interest about halfway through.

The reviews of Sword Coast Legends seem to be universally bad, and doesn't sound worth the $20 bucks. I tried to play some of the Final Fantasy 6 remake today, but that's just not doing it for me, either. At least the EFF got some money out of me buying that.
Teflon

Comments

• TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    If fallout 4 can not satisfy your cravings for rpg game then what else could!
    You are lucky man drhappyangry.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    You played Planescape yet?
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I already completed 3 playthroughs of fallout 4, so I'm pretty burnt out on it. Great game, but I've gotta say not as good as New Vegas. So I'm ready to give it a rest until some DLC is out.

I tried to start Planescape: Torment again, today, but I've just never been able to get into that game. I also feel like I have the same problem with it as the original fallout games. I feel like I'm fighting the interface more than the enemies, although not to the same degree as fallout 1. An hour or 2 in, and I just don't really care about anything that's happening. Am I doing something wrong? Anybody have any advice on enjoying this game, or should I just write it off as not for me? Does it get better further on? I've been trying to avoid spoiling it by reading walkthroughs. At least I got it awhile back in a GOG bundle, so I'm not out any money for it.

At least I'm halfway through my Evil Dead marathon. It'd been so long since I'd seen the second one, I hadn't realized how many psychobilly songs sampled it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Sword Coast Legends can be played for free for the next 16 hours. So you could always try it out.
    FardragonJuliusBorisov
    @meagloth Funny you wrote that while I was writing that last post.

@elminster good call on SC:L. Installing it now. Get to try out that new gigabit fiber I just got installed ;) The only downside is, it's clear the rest of the internet can't keep up with me. Game runs on Linux, too, so that's a plus.
    elminster
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    system shock 2
    Teflon
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    If you don't like SC:L enough for it to get you through your sick days, I'm having a blast with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, especially with the new movie out renewing people's interest in everything Star Wars related.

I've never tried the Mass Effect series, as I'm usually more in the mood for Dungeons and Dragons than for space fantasy, but now that Star Wars has me in the right mood, I'm tempted to give Mass Effect a go after I get through with KOTOR 1 and 2.

I recently had a lot of fun replaying Neverwinter Nights 2.

Have you had a go at Dragon Age: Origins?

All the ones I've mentioned are roleplay-heavy, story and character driven, classical western CRPG's.
    I'm actually having a decent time playing SC:L, and I think I'll buy it today. The lack of any exposure to 4th and 5th editions is making it a bit harder to get some of the mechanics, though. The bundled story seems interesting enough, and hopefully there's some decent modules made by the community, like with the NWN games. I do have some love for some of the community made NWN(2) campaigns, like Path Of Evil and Darkwaters, so hopefully those guys pick up SC:L too. I've had a couple of party wipes, so I don't see why people have complained about the difficulty. Then again, maybe those were just me not having a good grasp of 5e.

That said, the game does suffer from some of the bugs all Unity games suffer on Linux. Like when a new area loads, the mouse is pushed to the lower left forcing the screen to start scrolling. It's almost a good thing they don't attempt to auto-detect your screen resolution at all and make you manually set it yourself, since there's been a longstanding bug with Unity and detecting the resolution on multi-monitor Linux systems. I've not seen this in Unity games before, but sometimes eyes don't render on a character properly, and they're a blank white. Makes them look creepy as all hell. Guess I get to file some bug reports.

@BelgarathMTH I pretty much hit all those fairly recently. Did a KOTOR(2) playthough when they re-released KOTOR2 awhile back. I was thinking of doing a Mass Effect run again, it's just tough to get through the first one, after playing 2 and 3. I did a playthrough of DA:O in the lead up to DA:I about a year ago. Played the hell out of those, so not ready to go back to them, yet.

@bob_veng I've thought about playing the system shock games, it's just 3d from then doesn't hold up well these days, and I don't have the nostalgia for them, like I do with Deus Ex, so it makes it a bit hard to want to play them. Maybe I'll try to get into them over one of the long weekends coming up over the holiday, though. Is it worth playing the first one, or should I just jump into the second?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    I did make a module called "Ahazu Trilogy: Murder at the Gate". Which I've largely abandoned at this point. Mostly because the tool they give you to make modules was inadequate for what I wanted (particularly when it came to testing them).
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Shadowrun Returns: Hong Kong/Dragonfall are both excellent.

I've just finished Satellite Reign which is a Syndicate (Amiga version) remake.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

@bob_veng I've thought about playing the system shock games, it's just 3d from then doesn't hold up well these days, and I don't have the nostalgia for them, like I do with Deus Ex, so it makes it a bit hard to want to play them. Maybe I'll try to get into them over one of the long weekends coming up over the holiday, though. Is it worth playing the first one, or should I just jump into the second?

skip the first one. the second one has great graphics (imo much better than deus ex), maybe you've mixed it up with the predecessor.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    System Shock 1 is really akin to a sci-fi Ultima Underworld. System Shock 2 is one of the best computer games ever made.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I told myself I would finnally sit down and get all the way through planecape this break. today I burned through 3 hours on TF2(now 100 hours)

We'll see.