Skip to content

Cloak of mirroring - just too good??

Hello everyone!

I've recently found the item Cloak of Mirroring... It seems that my character is completely immune to all forms of magic. Isn't that just "too good" for an item to be found? Completely takes away the challenge of the game. No?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    "It seems that my character is completely immune to all forms of magic."

Nope. It only affects spells that cause damage.

Anyways, by this point in the game you can very well have Timestop, Spell Sequencers/Trigger, and Improved Alacrity on your parties mage. An item like this is rather benign by comparison (also anyone who can cast Polymorph Self can become immune to magic, there are many different spells that will grant you immunity to different types of damage, etc).
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    It's a very powerful item, but as @elminster said, there are plenty of powerful things you can do in this game.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    elminster said:

Anyways, by this point in the game you can very well have Timestop, Spell Sequencers/Trigger, and Improved Alacrity on your parties mage. An item like this is rather benign by comparison (also anyone who can cast Polymorph Self can become immune to magic, there are many different spells that will grant you immunity to different types of damage, etc).

holy crap, I am power game extraordinaire and I NEVER have level 9 spells by that time nevermind HLA, at best I might hit a level 8 slot, the only way I can see you having level 9 spells + improved alacrity is if you finished all of watchers keep before you went to chapter 4 but anywho...

yes, it is an incredibly powerful item, infact top 3 of the most powerful items in the entire game ( including ToB) best part is, it used to be even more powerful than it is now, back in the OLD SoA vanilla days before ToB it used to reflect back the spell's effect on to the original caster, which made it super SUPER good, now its just super good, and plus, there be a part in the underdark where you could be fighting a whole colony of creature that will be blasting you all silly like with spells galore, and this cloak at least gives you a chance to make it through that colony alive, but do note, it doesn't affect spells that don't do damage, so good old spells like confusion and chaos will make their way through so beware,

for me, I just give that cloak to my mage, helps make it so my mage cant get interrupted by enemy spellcaster nonsense when im trying to cast a spell

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    sarevok57 said:

elminster said:

holy crap, I am power game extraordinaire and I NEVER have level 9 spells by that time nevermind HLA, at best I might hit a level 8 slot, the only way I can see you having level 9 spells + improved alacrity is if you finished all of watchers keep before you went to chapter 4 but anywho...
    If you do all the chapter 2 and 3 sidequests (ignoring watchers keep) before heading into chapter 4 its absolutely possible to have level 9 spells in chapter 5.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    It is very strong indeed, and even more so when soloing/duoing, but as a team, since it will protect only one person, it certainly is still strong but not that overpowered.
    But yeah it is definitely among the strongest items in game, though I find Robe of Vecna much more gamebreaking (more powerful IMHO, and available as soon as you are out of Chateau Irenicus.
    elminster said:

sarevok57 said:

elminster said:

If you do all the chapter 2 and 3 sidequests (ignoring watchers keep) before heading into chapter 4 its absolutely possible to have level 9 spells in chapter 5.
    I guess, although I wouldn't get that stuff until I was basically done the underdark, now adays I just rush off to spell hold as soon as possible, for me that makes the game more fun, since a big part of the game is the whole spell hold/under dark area, being low levels there is fun and actually makes the items you find have a little more merit than; lol, cant wait to throw this into a bag of holding since all my gear from chapter 2 is better ( even though there is a very small amount of great items in spell hold, that is still small, unless you ran there right away then it makes those items useful)

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yep it is pretty powerful, and helpful to keep 'low hp-don't sneeze on me I might crumble and die' caster types alive under sudden horrid wiltings.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    sarevok57 said:

elminster said:

sarevok57 said:

elminster said:

I guess, although I wouldn't get that stuff until I was basically done the underdark, now adays I just rush off to spell hold as soon as possible, for me that makes the game more fun, since a big part of the game is the whole spell hold/under dark area, being low levels there is fun and actually makes the items you find have a little more merit than; lol, cant wait to throw this into a bag of holding since all my gear from chapter 2 is better ( even though there is a very small amount of great items in spell hold, that is still small, unless you ran there right away then it makes those items useful)

I hardly ever rush Spellhold because you get a huge amount of exp between chapter 3 and chapter 6 and that trivializes every sidequests that you can do during chapters 2-3.
    Usually when I do a complete run I do every sidequest during chapter 2 and leave only the bigger villains (Shadow dragon, Firkraag and Kangaxx mostly) for chapter 6
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    In my most recent run in the no-reload thread I got HLAs during the Illithid City, I completed every side quests from Chapter 2 except Twisted Rune and Kangaxx.

Now I'm in chapter 6, and I'm about to enter Watcher's Keep with 4M XP on my Charname (6man party).

You just need to do everything.
    Arunsun said:

sarevok57 said:

elminster said:

sarevok57 said:

elminster said:

I hardly ever rush Spellhold because you get a huge amount of exp between chapter 3 and chapter 6 and that trivializes every sidequests that you can do during chapters 2-3.
    Usually when I do a complete run I do every sidequest during chapter 2 and leave only the bigger villains (Shadow dragon, Firkraag and Kangaxx mostly) for chapter 6
    and that's the same scenario, do all the quests in chapter 2 before you go to spell hold and that trivializes spell hold and the underdark, so its basically a choice thing on what gets trivialized and what doesn't, but of coarse this is only a dilemma for veteran players, novices will no doubt be fine

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Items such as the Cloak of mirroring can be indeed game-changing, especially if you're soloing. In the party, though, if you approach enemies with 5 other members, it wouldn't feel so imba because it won't protect those other 5 party members.

To counteract the power of such items, you can always install the SCS mod, and then the enemies' AI would force you to find different strategies than simply "Equip the Cloak and click attack".