Skip to content

BG2EE on Core rules.. how important is it to open locked containers?

tl;dr
If I ignore most locked containers (other than maybe early on with Iomen) will I still be ok for money? Will I be missing out on some great items found in locked containers?

I played through BG1 on core rules, and I don't recall finding too many critical items that required me to unlock containers. (Didn't need to rely on potions much on core rules.) Obviously it helped with gaining money, but even with the gem bag and scroll case, I'd say managing the inventory was probably my least favorite part of BG1 (is there really no way to also select multiple items in your bag to transfer to another player? I digress.)
Anyway, I ask because I'm about to start BG2 and I want to carefully plan out my party ahead of time and debating about not carrying a thief with me. I'm thinking I want to just try traveling with only 4 characters (mostly because I don't like the pathing of larger groups in tight areas, etc.) I know there are traps of course, but I'm thinking on core rules I can maybe get by with just the tank setting them off then drinking a potion or two. For locks there is knock but I certainly don't want to have to be using that to simply open up locked containers. Note also, it's time consuming gathering the items from locked containers, and handling that inventory, so I think I could be engaged in more of the 'fun stuff' (from my perspective) by skipping most containers.

(Of course all of this might be a moot point if I roll a swashbuckler for my main which I'm seriously considering. Also considering a blade, which won't help with traps of course. Then again I'm also considering an inquisitor, barbarian, stalker, archer, and sorcerer ... list goes on... re-rollitis here I come again:)

(Oh and Merry Christmas since I'm posting on Christmas:)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    No, it's not that important. The best stuff is in the stores and on enemies. Also, you'll have a lot of money anyway.

But in the same time I seriously recommend to take a thief in BG2. The traps there are a LOT more dangerous than they are in BG1. And there're many traps in BG2.

There will be enhancing items for your thieving skills in BG2, so putting 100 in neither Open Locks or Disarm Traps is not a must. And before those items there will be potions.

Also, at later levels thieves begin to shine. Their traps can deal a lot of damage, and their HLAs are wonderful.

Don't discard Dispel Illusion - the skill is very important in wizards-heavy BG2.
  • rickcrrickcr Member Posts: 77
    bengoshi said:

No, it's not that important. The best stuff is in the stores and on enemies. Also, you'll have a lot of money anyway.

But in the same time I seriously recommend to take a thief in BG2. The traps there are a LOT more dangerous than they are in BG1. And there're many traps in BG2.

There will be enhancing items for your thieving skills in BG2, so putting 100 in neither Open Locks or Disarm Traps is not a must. And before those items there will be potions.

Also, at later levels thieves begin to shine. Their traps can deal a lot of damage, and their HLAs are wonderful.

Don't discard Dispel Illusion - the skill is very important in wizards-heavy BG2.

Cool thanks a lot! I'll definitely keep an NPC thief or just have my PC as one.
  • MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
    I'm pretty sure there are a couple very nice items in chests in BG2, if not many. I haven't actually finished it, so I'm no expert - but the locks, and particularly traps give way more exp in BG2.
  • OhmegaOhmega Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2015
    There are some fights with repeat traps that could cause you some SERIOUS pain i think... At least the Imrix fight in ToB if you get there. Not sure if the Demon Wraith Lich thing in Watchers Keep is repeat traps but would hurt, also the no-magic room demon ambush on the same level. Guarded Compound fight... Some doors specifically the kangaax quest door (and staff of the magi door?).

Idno just... The game is so annoying without a thief... Every locked chest and trap set off is missed exp and instead less gold/more damage. ;( Can't 'legitimately' fast track gold and items by pickpocket abuse, i might just EE Keeper it in from now on, i might as well unless i feel like doing a poverty run sometime. Also annoying to almost 'have' to take a thief because of the advantages. Not only that but I'm so bored with thieves i just EE Keepered a dual-class Thief/Necromancer for flavour.

Oh yeah, and traps are pretty good.

Goodluck either way. Just my thoughts on thieves in the game. Merry christmas people.
    Post edited by Ohmega on
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    If you are willing to tank traps, no problem, there are very few important pieces of equipment in locked chest.
    I can think of two of the lategame items and that's about it. And you can occasionnally use Knock anyway.
    Still, lock picks and traps are a rather nice boost of XP early on.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    any lock that a thief can pick, the knock spell will work on it just the same, plus if you have some serious str you make even be able to "force attack" the lock and break it open, but again you might need some huge str to succeed ( like 25, which a cleric can get with draw upon holy might and righteous magic)