Skip to content

Cult of the Eyeless - Missing Eye bug

Call me cheeky if you must, but I turned in the cult of the eyeless quest to Gaal for the sweet 75,000 XP before ducking down into the pit to continue the quest "in the right way".

Unfortunately when I repaired the rift device, the Unseen Eye did not appear, so the door out to the Shade Lich area never opened - and if it did, I imagine the kill-spot at the end of the corridor would still terminate the party because they have the completed rod.

I managed to console Ctrl+J into the temple to have a nice epic battle with the Unseen Eye and its entire cult all at once, and the Rift Device worked fine, but presumably the correct behaviour would be for the Unseen Eye to head back down into its lair looking for you, rather than waiting upstairs with its cult.

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Unrelated bug, but still Cult of the Eyeless related, the Unseeing Eye grants sight to its followers. The moment the Unseeing Eye dies, all of the cultists should be hit with a permanent blindness effect, giving them the -4 penalty to attack and saves.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    what happens is, if you give the rift device to gaal, the unseeing eye ( the beholder) is suppose to come and he will attack you, the whole mission of the unseeing eye quest is to kill the beholder, once the beholder is dead, the quest is over

what you are suppose to do, is NOT speak to gaal when you have the first rift device piece, and go down into the hole and make your way into the beholder lair, grab the second piece and they will meld together, and then you can use it on the beholder and once you finish the beholder off, you can go back to the underground temple and give the rift device back to the avatar guy
    sarevok57 said:

what happens is, if you give the rift device to gaal, the unseeing eye ( the beholder) is suppose to come and he will attack you, the whole mission of the unseeing eye quest is to kill the beholder, once the beholder is dead, the quest is over

what you are suppose to do, is NOT speak to gaal when you have the first rift device piece, and go down into the hole and make your way into the beholder lair, grab the second piece and they will meld together, and then you can use it on the beholder and once you finish the beholder off, you can go back to the underground temple and give the rift device back to the avatar guy

Aye, but then I wouldn't get 75,000 XP for turning in the quest to Gaal as well. Since I'd already opened the pit to jump down, 'twas a simple matter to follow both quests to their conclusion without Gaal even turning hostile yet (boots of speed and a previously moved party) for the maximum combined amount of loot and experience.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Er, hang on, @Pantalion ... you're complaining that an exploit doesn't work? I'm not convinced that qualifies as a bug!
    edited December 2015
    @Gallowglass, I am reporting that turning in a quest and acting a certain way causes unintended behaviour at a later point.

While I do not argue that it isn't optimal play, the actions involved are logical, in character, and do not involve metagaming or script exploitation, nor are they the only way to cause the issue:

1: Turning in the rod for a reward only to be betrayed by the high priest, a party escapes the cult's treachery by travelling down into the beholder's lair as he raises the alarm.

2: Having raised the alarm by slightly overenthusiastic pick pocketing, the party is confronted by the Unseeing Eye and starts losing. They retreat down into the pit, realising they will need the Rift Device to win.

3: Having raised the alarm but defeated the beholder, the party goes down into the pit in order to recover the Rift Device to expend its charge and return it to the diseased ones like the moral people they are.

Any of these scenarios causes a problem significantly later, past several autosave barriers and potentially hours of play, when a scripted enemy, perfectly able to move between either map due to flight, does not appear as it should, and the only exit, a scripted secret door, does not unlock as normal, permanently trapping the player and ruining their save without console intervention.

This is indeed what I would consider a bug, with several potential solutions:

Remove the stairs into the pit when the alarm is raised. - I would wonder why can the player loses the ability to travel down, especially since they have clear motivation to go down and retrieve the rift device regardless of the Unseeing Eye's survival, but perhaps the pit can be sealed by the cultists?

Alter triggers to unlock the scripted door by getting the second half of the rift device. - A party with the Rift Device should be able to kill the Unseeing Eye with zero trouble if it turns up in the Beholder Lair, and if it doesn't, they would be able to leave with the rift device to go to the Cult HQ where it has moved to.

Alter triggers so that the Unseeing Eye is placed in the corridor outside of its lair if it hasn't previously been killed. The second Unseeing Eye, if it spawned on the other map, could presumably be removed by script on entering the map.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmm, okay, I see what you're driving at.

If you turn in the first piece of the Rift Device to Gaal, then I think that's intended to be counted as the "Evil solution" to the quest, so it is then reasonable for the game to prevent you from also completing the "Good solution" to the same quest, because that'd be an exploit.

However, making the attempt to do both should result in the second solution simply failing, rather than leaving the player game-breakingly trapped. So yes, there seems to be a bug, because the script consequences of giving the first piece to Gaal haven't been properly thought through.

I don't think it makes sense to allow any outcome where the Unseeing Eye is left alive and in possession of the reassembled Rift Device, since the whole point of the quest is that this would make the Eye world-changingly powerful and logically ought to have all sorts of consequences. Perhaps it could be explained, however, that it'll take some time for the Eye to master the use of the Device before he can attain such power, so it's okay for the Eye to gain the complete Device provided that combat with the Eye is then immediately compulsory (e.g. the Eye appears and attacks, and both the Pit and the sewer exit are sealed so that running away isn't an option) ... although that'll mean having to defeat the Eye without the use of the Device, which will be quite a tough fight.
    Well, Gaal never actually takes your half of the rift device. If you tell him you have it, then he says that he'll just kill you for it and turn it over to the UE himself to gain more favour.

At which point the UE spawns anyway, and the most evil player is forced to fight for their life, so the end of the world only comes after the game over screen.

But yeah, I'd not be too worked up at the either/or choice being enforced, if that's how it was best decided to solve this.