Skip to content

Did Shapeshifter ever get fixed?

Sorry if this has already been solved, but searching yielded ambiguous answers or very old threads on the subject.

Did the enhanced editions of BG1, 2 and IWD fix the broken druid shapeshifter kit? I recall that the shapeshifter was weaker than intended in the original games, because it didn't get the stats and abilities it was supposed to have. I think there was talk of fixing the kit with the release of EE and subsequent patches. Did this happen or is the shapeshifter still useless at higher levels?

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    PhillipDaigle wrote:

"The Shapeshifter kit werewolf form was nerfed because normal werewolves were too strong at earlier levels, and they didn't really get a chance to fix it for later levels. While I would like to fix the kit, it will most likely have to be a post-release update due to the number of other features we're focusing on."

At this time, there has been no post-release update on this kit.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Shapeshifter in the Baldur's Gate Trilogy.

Baldur's Gate - Great
    Baldur's Gate 2 - Decent
    ToB - Bad
  • ZepheyrZepheyr Member Posts: 2
    Ah, that's frustrating. Thank you for the replies.
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    Well, they did take away the Con adjustments both forms got when shifted, so that's a kind of "fix". :-/
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I'm pretty sure that the BG2Tweaks mod improves Shapeshifters considerably, in the light of what they should have been. Might want to check that out!
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2015
    Honestly, default Shapeshifter isn't that bad- even with the needless Con nerf.

I feel like they are marathon runners in a milieu where everything gets evaluated for the sprint. They're great at still being somewhat useful while conserving their spells for tough fights. That would be more valuable if the games weren't so forgiving about the dangers of resting in dungeons.
    Post edited by Reticent on
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    I agree @Reticent, I'm playing as a shapeshifter in ICW:EE right now, without serious problems so far, and I must say, that this is definitely a very *climatic* kit to roleplay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2015
    The problem with the Shapeshifter is that the kit got nothing new in ToB. There are several mods that tried to fix the Shapeshifter Kit, but they are either badly done or in most cases, overpowered.

I used to be a shapeshifter enthusiast back in the original SoA, but after trying all the mods, I wasn't able to find one that I liked. They either forced you to equip an item for your claws, or they didn't fix the claws and left them at +3 (?) which is not enough.

The Shapeshifter would be fine if it had a third form that it received at level 18 or around there.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    There is a deep irony in how these mods are trying to turn a druid into something it's really not, considering how the most powerful werewolves are not warriors but casters.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    Part of the problem is that the description for the kit never emphasized that it really is more of a defensive form than an offensive one. Particularly the Greater Werewolf form. You wouldn't really think this when it comes to a werewolf but thats just how it is.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2015

SionIV said:

There are several mods that tried to fix the Shapeshifter Kit, but they are either badly done or in most cases, overpowered.

You must not have tried my mod. It's great! :tongue:
    SionIV said:

The Shapeshifter would be fine if it had a third form that it received at level 18 or around there.

This is precisely what my mod does. Actually it's an HLA, but for purposes of BG2/TOB, same difference.
    I don't think I have seen your mod before. Could you give me a link? And is it compatible with BG:EE/BG2:EE? :smiley:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33657/scales-of-balance-post-hac-kits-and-tweaks#latest

The first page is a bit of a mess at the moment, but you want the 2nd link, Scales of Balance v4, the link to v4.3.1. Specifically the "Druid Tweaks" component which changes the kit name to "Lycanthropic Druid" and tweaks the shapeshifts, and adds the extra werewolf form HLA. (Be aware, that component also changes the Avenger to be a poison-focused kit, something like a Jungle Druid. People who love the Avenger may not like it.)

Alternatively, you try the beta of my new mod, which changes the concept s but more, replacing all of the druid kits with regional variants (forest, mountain, jungle, desert, and arctic) and adding "Mystics" dedicated to a particular sphere of magic, like the four elements, and light and shadow. Here, the Shapeshifter becomes a "Beast Mystic" with lupine shapeshifting and extra magic focus in the Animal sphere. You can read about it below, and I can PM you a link to the beta.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/43174/faiths-and-powers-gods-of-the-realms-kitpack-and-divine-caster-spell-tweaks#latest

Thank you! I'll take a look at it. :smiley: