Skip to content

Background question to devs: Dalton

Calling @AndrewFoley - I expect you're the guy who'll know the definitive answer to this one.

Is it the devs' conception that the Dalton whom we meet (and quite likely kill) in Rasaad's BG2ee quest is actually the same Dalton whom we rescued from Durlag's Tower in BG1?

Or is it the devs' conception that "Dalton" is a fairly common name in the Realms, and this is merely another guy with that name? (Like the occurrence of a "Sendai" in both BG1 and BG2, in which case they are clearly not the same person.)
Arunsun

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    I have wondered about that for a while as well, but I guess they are not the same, he would recognize you otherwise, would he not? I mean, you saved him, he should definitely remember your face.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited January 2016
    My money is on the latter; names like Dalton and Sendai are apparently the FR equivalents of 'John' and 'Sue'. :smile:

Probably just pure coincidence/oversight, one of many such little details that don't quite match up perfectly between BG1 and BG2 if you go over things with a fine toothed comb, etc.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Honestly, given how many people you meet across the games it's surprising you don't get MORE double names. I've always found that strange in games, and to a degree in literature as well; authors just try to avoid confusion by giving all characters different names, but when you're dealing with a lot of people, often in similar parts of society, it's not THAT uncommon to see a name crop up more than once. I mean, how many Daves, Johns, or Borts (or your country-regional equivalent) do you know IRL? Bound to be duplicates.