Skip to content

Point of No Return?

Hey, I'm struggling to beat Thaxll'ssillyia & Firkraag. I've read a few places you can leave them there & return later (higher lvls) and attack them again. Also, I forget where the Lich is, but apply the same logic there.

What would be the last chapter you have the option to face such opponents?

P.s. it's been so long since I played the game, I'm completely oblivious to the story line & kind of enjoying that, so please use chapter not "oh after you beat so & so, you can't go back" :P

Thx!

Comments

• OhmegaOhmega Member Posts: 35
    Halfway through Chapter 7. You can backtrack to such places for pretty much the entirety of the Shadows of Amn game.

However, if you start Chapter 4 (rescue Imoen) then you'll need to finish all the way up to Chapter 6 before you can travel to those areas again.
    GallowglassMichailsemiticgoddess
  • TiruasTiruas Member Posts: 18
    Lol, holy monkeys, I tried it a few more times, & I got him! God LORD he's tough at level 9!
    SionIVGallowglasssemiticgoddess
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Tiruas said:

Lol, holy monkeys, I tried it a few more times, & I got him! God LORD he's tough at level 9!

You need to do more side quests, you have barely done any at all if you're only level 9.
    semiticgoddess
  • MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
    Pretty sure I hit level 9 just finishing the prologue...
    MrNooby said:

Pretty sure I hit level 9 just finishing the prologue...

You do, the class that requires the most experience to hit level 9 is the paladin/ranger and they get it at 300 000 experience.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    For the Shadow Dragon and the Red Dragon, a level 9 mage can easily make them look like rubber lizards. xD
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited January 2016
    Honestly, I think the vanilla game dragons don't do the idea of an ancient, huge, incredibly smart and powerful being justice. Went to Firkraag on SCS and Hard as Bhaals Mode the other day, much more like what you'd expect! He had like 2000hp or something, fun times!
    semiticgoddess
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    @Lord_Tansheron How do you find SCS with that mode in general? I get on with SCS mostly, and don't dislike HoF mode in IWD. I wasn't sure how SCS blended with it though.
    It's amazing. Changes a lot of established thinking, eliminates many brute-force approaches. Wouldn't want to go without both ever again.
    SionIVHudzy
    SCS is about correcting the game, and turning it into what it should have been. There are many mages in Baldur's Gate that don't use all their spell slots, there are fighters that use a weapon they aren't proficient with. SCS corrects these things and improve their AI, it does not turn enemies into boss fights like HoF does in IWD.
    semiticgoddess
    Man, I WISH I had SCS in IWD :/
    SionIVsemiticgoddess
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I hear that. Or the time to do it myself come to that.
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Those two are really difficult at lower levels (though I think I beat Firkraag with a 4 person party once...idek how). I would suggest doing other side quests (such as de/Arnise Keep, which gives you a lot lf XP as well as a really good weapon; Flail of Ages is life).
  • TiruasTiruas Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2016
    I am playing a Paladin, my PC is always lagging behind on levels, horrendously lol. Also, yeah, I've done many side quests, including the Arnise keep. Paladin is eternally lvl 9 :P I think also, having a 6 person party makes you level handicapped or at least it seems that way to me. I probably shouldn't even be fighting dragons, I'm still on Chapter 2.
    Tiruas said:

having a 6 person party makes you level handicapped or at least it seems that way to me.

Most experience is evenly divided among party members, so yes, with more people in the party, everyone gets less (but you get the same overall). The exception are certain quest rewards, which will give XP to every party member (you'll see that in the log, a note for every member as opposed to a single note).

Still, since enemy HP are always the same, larger parties are generally more overall damage output. They also tend to be better on the defense, as the damage is often more spread out (but not always).

Don't stress yourself over doing everything NOW - take your time. There is more than enough XP in the game even for a full 6-person party. If you find yourself overwhelmed, do something a little easier first.
    atcDave
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Tiruas said:

I probably shouldn't even be fighting dragons, I'm still on Chapter 2.

It can certainly be done in Chapter 2, IF you know exactly what you're doing (or otherwise just get lucky), but I don't generally recommend it. It's definitely much easier to fight dragons in Chapter 6, when you'll have more levels and better equipment. The dragons will still be there waiting for you!
    atcDave
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290

Tiruas said:

I probably shouldn't even be fighting dragons, I'm still on Chapter 2.

It can certainly be done in Chapter 2, IF you know exactly what you're doing (or otherwise just get lucky), but I don't generally recommend it. It's definitely much easier to fight dragons in Chapter 6, when you'll have more levels and better equipment. The dragons will still be there waiting for you!
    Depending on my party makeup, I sometimes find the vampire part to be harder than Firkraag himself just because of the level drain. If you have a PC blackguard/undead hunter or Dorn (or a cleric), you can just use the negative plane protection and just wail on them, but if you don't have anything like that, the vampires are very difficult. (I sometimes resort to Fireballs from outside of the fog of war).
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    abazigal5 said:

Depending on my party makeup, I sometimes find the vampire part to be harder than Firkraag himself just because of the level drain. If you have a PC blackguard/undead hunter or Dorn (or a cleric), you can just use the negative plane protection and just wail on them, but if you don't have anything like that, the vampires are very difficult. (I sometimes resort to Fireballs from outside of the fog of war).

Well heck, yes, if you don't have a Cleric and/or the Improved Mace of Disruption, then vampires are a very tough enemy. But (apart from soloists who are deliberately giving themselves a really tough challenge) who would ever dream of running without a Cleric? For normal party play, that'd be crazy (and the prevalence of vampires is only part of why it'd be crazy).