Skip to content

Chapter 6 won't start

So I've played Baldur's Gate through usually once every couple of years since it first came out. I still have the disks but though I'd try out the Enhanced version for some better continuity with class kits from 1 to 2. Although there were a number of bugs, an annoying as they are, they could usually be fixed with a reload. However, this one doesn't and it's a complete game stopper. It's a 'oh you've spent your holiday playing through this far and now can't go any further, would you like to start the whole thing over again?'

Basically, I come out of the Underdark and talk to Elthan. I go back to town and finish off with the Githyanki and then go to Cromwell to get all my new shiny toys made. I do the Kangaxx and Twisted Rune encounters, all as I've been used to doing for some years now. But then I go to enlist the help of the Shadow Thieves and Aran only has the dialogue that is intended to send you to Spellhold (I've already done that, and come out of the Underdark). I also tried agreeing and he actually sends you to Brynnlaw. I have to say, I'm not particularly keen on looping through the same couple of chapters ad infinitum, so I reloaded. But nothing changed. I'm stuck. I go to the Graveyard at night and there's no Bodhi. I go through the vampire lair and there's nothing. I'm completely stuck and have wasted this last week.

Now I appreciate that this might be a rare bug given that I can't find anything concrete about it through searches, much less if there's anyway to fix it, but a bug it still is and it's completed scuppered this particular party. Guess I'll have to go back to my original disks and see if they work with Windows 7.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited January 2016
    Ouch, that's a bad one. It's never happened to me, and I guess it must be rare else there'd be a lot of people kicking up a tremendous fuss about it.

However, I'd guess that this could be caused simply by one of the global variables glitching, somehow failing to increment to the correct value. In that case, it might be relatively easy to fix using EEkeeper (or one of the more advanced game editors) for someone who knows their way around the game's globals.

I therefore suggest that you zip your save folder and upload it here, so that one of the experts can take a look at it and perhaps fix the problem for you.

(And welcome to the forum, by the way. :))
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2016
    I'm going to need more information, like if you are running any mods.

Also enable the console by adding the line
     'Program Options',	'Debug Mode',	'1', 
    to your baldur.ini file in your documents/baldur's gate 2 enhanced edition folder. While in the game screen (the place where you give party commands, move characters, etc) press ctrl+space, then type in
    C:GetGlobal("Chapter","GLOBAL")  
    If you do that what value is given?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    (Chapter could also be got from the save description, or the Journal?)

What version of the game do you have @Thete e.g. PC, 1.3.2064 and no mods. As suggested could you also zip/attach a save for inspection.
    Thanks
    elminster