Skip to content

Why was Imoen left behind in Candlekeep? (spoilers)

Something that bugged me for the last 10 years or so.

If Imoen is also a bhaalspawn like the maincharacter, why would Gorion leave her behind in candlekeep when he knew that assassins would surely try to enter candlekeep and kill his wards.
Did he not know that Imoen was a bhaalspawn?
Or did Imoen steel his favorite teacup and he was a very resentful man about it?
What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Imoen Bhaalspawn identity was still dormant and unknown
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Sir, you just provided me an usleepy night ;_;
    He just left her there!

just realized Both Shank and Carbos always asks about "Gorion's Ward", not "one of Gorion's wards" too..

"Oh goodie goddie! I've gone and found ye first! You are THE WARD OF GORION no doubt?"
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    To be charitable, I think Gorion probably understood well enough that taking Charname out of Candlekeep would also bring Imoen along for the ride, whether he wanted her there or not! But by doing it this way, only Charname was clearly identified (for those paying attention) as a potential Bhaalspawn.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    atcDave said:

How sure are we that Imoen was Gorion's ward. I kind of thought Winthorp raised her!

I'm fairly sure we're told somewhere (probably in BG2) that she was also Gorion's ward, even though she chose to spend more of her time with Winthrop.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited January 2016
    As others have pointed out, no one else knew that Imoen was a Bhaalspawn. She kept a low profile (+rogue training) and Gorion never adopted her, as he did the PC. And may I point out that Candlekeep was basically a glorified monastery. They must have get a lot of orphans.
    It's pretty obvious even Sarevok didn't know, so why would Gorion (a Harper, a sage and a scholar) draw attention to the fact that he's actually protecting another orphan with mysterious origins in Candlekeep?
  • NybCRNybCR Member Posts: 27

atcDave said:

How sure are we that Imoen was Gorion's ward. I kind of thought Winthorp raised her!

I'm fairly sure we're told somewhere (probably in BG2) that she was also Gorion's ward, even though she chose to spend more of her time with Winthrop.
    Are you sure? I've always thought that Gorion only ever had one ward, Charname. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think it was ever stated or implied that Gorion had adopted Imoen as well. They hung out together since they were both raised at Candlekeep and were of a similar age, sure, but I'd always figured that Winthrop had taken her in, unknowing of her origins.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Kilivitz said:

Q: Why did they make Leia kiss Luke in Empire Strikes Back only to later reveal that they were siblings?
    A: Because they've only decided Leia was a Skywalker between that movie and the next one.
    Q: Doesn't that create a plot hole?
    A: Yes.

That's not a plot hole
    There are many studies that explore the quite common occurance of relationships between unknown siblings and a lot of research on why it occurs.

• UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    She isn't important.

It says that Savarok with the Cyric lot were looking for "Gorion's ward".

That either means there was a "chosen" child, who was born to stop the prophecy and Gorion, with help, went after that child.

Or it means any Bhaalspawn that was adopted as the ward.

Basically without the title "Gorion's ward", a different/another Bhaalspawn wasn't important as far as the prophecy goes.

I prefer the first option, the Charname was born to stop the prophecy, Gorion and cohorts identified which child and attacked the temple to save that one child.

• vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    Gorion's master plan was splitting up the bhaalspawn children, you were the bait because he thought you were stronger and could survive and lead off sarevok and co. to chase you so imoen would be safe.

Didn't work because Imoen never listens to rules and followed you anyway.

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

Kilivitz said:

Q: Why did they make Leia kiss Luke in Empire Strikes Back only to later reveal that they were siblings?
    A: Because they've only decided Leia was a Skywalker between that movie and the next one.
    Q: Doesn't that create a plot hole?
    A: Yes.

That's not a plot hole
    There are many studies that explore the quite common occurance of relationships between unknown siblings and a lot of research on why it occurs.

A scientific fact I simply can't believe would be portrayed so casually by a hollywood space opera PG-13 movie. It may not be implausible, but it doesn't change the fact that it's pretty safe to assume George Lucas and the other screenwriters clearly didn't think the whole thing through from the start.

To be honest, there's a lot of little anecdotes and minor inconsistencies that support that but I don't have any handy sources and of course, that would be wildly off-topic, so I'll just leave it at that.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    To reiterate,

Of course, the meta-explanation is that it wasn't the intention (when BG1 was originally written) that Imoen was also a Bhaalspawn, that idea was a retcon introduced with BG2. So the plot hole is the fault of the BG2 writers who messed up the backstory.

this.
  • NybCRNybCR Member Posts: 27
    elminster said:

NybCR said:

atcDave said:

Are you sure? I've always thought that Gorion only ever had one ward, Charname. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think it was ever stated or implied that Gorion had adopted Imoen as well. They hung out together since they were both raised at Candlekeep and were of a similar age, sure, but I'd always figured that Winthrop had taken her in, unknowing of her origins.
    In short, Imoen has a conversation with Aerie in BG2 where she admits that she was Gorion's ward. Her BG2 biography also mentions that she was brought to Candlekeep by Gorion. You can find a full post about it here.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/600302/#Comment_600302
    Ah, thank you - I'd forgotten about Imoen's bio, and I rarely have Aerie in my party, so I'd never seen that conversation before now.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    vanatos said:

Gorion's master plan was splitting up the bhaalspawn children, you were the bait because he thought you were stronger and could survive and lead off sarevok and co. to chase you so imoen would be safe.

I like this... Sarevok spends time, energy and resources pursuing Gorion, Charname, Jaheira and Khalid. All the while a portion of the essence is stashed away at Candlekeep. She's left there to conceal her power.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    abacus said:

vanatos said:

I like this... Sarevok spends time, energy and resources pursuing Gorion, Charname, Jaheira and Khalid. All the while a portion of the essence is stashed away at Candlekeep. She's left there to conceal her power.
    See, I always knew she was the favorite!
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    If you want to find an answer to the op question then it has to be in BG1.
    Everything in BG2 can be seen as already biased.
  • FerozbanFerozban Member Posts: 31
    elminster said:

NybCR said:

atcDave said:

In short, Imoen has a conversation with Aerie in BG2 where she admits that she was Gorion's ward. Her BG2 biography also mentions that she was brought to Candlekeep by Gorion. You can find a full post about it here.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/600302/#Comment_600302
    Thanks for the infos.

Well with this being the case, I can only presume it went something like this:
    Gorion could only save 1 child. (as was stated in the game)
    But one of Gorions allies saved Imoen and later gave her into Gorions care. (she was his ward as well after all if we look at the bio from bg2 and the arie dialogue)

And as some users have stated here allready: Gorion might have had a masterplan.
    CHARNAME was being discovered, so if he had brought Imoen with them on their journey, it would have drawn unessesary attention to her. She was not yet discovered and thus perfectly safe in candlekeep.
    Of course, the plan failed when she deceided to sneak out of candlekeep on her own.

That story at least makes sense.

Sorry i know it's probabably a plothole that the writers of bg messed up when they wrote the scripts for bg2.
    BUT AS FANS, WE HAVE TO FILL THE HOLES WITH A STORY THAT MAKES SENSE!
    And that explaination is good enough for me at least ;)

• I'm not so sure Gorion actually didn't include Imoen in his escape plan. Remember, she read a letter that had been conspicuously left out by Gorion where she could get to it. Imoen may be a good thief, but I doubt she could have really read that letter without Gorion knowing about it.

Then, she was right behind you and Gorion when you left.

I think Gorion planned for her to be following. He had to know there was a strong risk of being caught, and he couldn't shield two wards at once, so he wanted Imoen to be both sneaking behind, and not known by anyone else to be following, including Charname.

Yes, I know the whole thing is a retcon because Imoen wasn't planned to be a main plot character when the opening scenario was first written, but in my mind it still makes sense.

What I like about this explanation is that it has a sense of deniability. If Gorion took Imoen with you, then your enemies would start to wonder, but if she is clearly following against his wishes, he can protect her without arousing as much suspicion.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    yo quick question though: i played bg1 when it came out and we didn't have the internet yet, so how did they know she was a 'fan favourite'?