Skip to content

Question on prophecy - spoilers

WilkoWilko Member Posts: 19
Hi, I was thinking about the back story of the pc. All of the focus is on the pc and not Imoen. By this I mean that when Gorion leaves Candlekeep he takes the pc only even though both are children of Bhaal. Sarevok and the other five as well as some of the other npcs are well aware of Gorion's ward. Some, like Gorion and Sarevok knew Imoen was a child of Bhaal too. So how did they 'know' it was the pc that had the greater potential power and Bhaal essence? How did Gorion 'know' Imoen would be safe left at the keep but it was the pc that would be the focal point? When the pc was rescued as a baby do you think someone wise with great intuition knew the pc had great power? Like a sixth sense? When Imoen arrived at the keep I wonder who told Gorion that Imoen's own portion was much less? I wonder how Sarevok would know this too. I mean it's surely not immediately obvious to the named eye who has a large portion of God in them.

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Imoen just wasn't planned to be a Bhaalspawn from the beginning, bit was retconned as being one partway through the development of BG2. That's the reason there are inconsistencies in the story and behaviour of the characters regarding Imoen.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Because I don't think Imoen was written as a bhaalspawn in BG1.
  • WilkoWilko Member Posts: 19
    Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere. I suppose I'm trying to 'justify' some of the questionable events that happen. One can only assume that there are plausible reasons not mentioned throughout the saga that explain the inconsistencies. Almost like it was accepted and known that those that knew of Imoen's heritage, knew also that she was never going to play a necessary and big part in the prophecy because her small amount of essence. I just hate having to surmise explanations due to holes in dialogue and story.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,076
    Did Gorion know that Imoen was a Bhaalspawn? If he did, he probably would've mentioned it in the note you find in his room in chapter 6.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I like how the game develops the Bhaalspawn saga. In bg1 there is the tiny bit of prophecy sang by the chanters just at the start of the game. Near the end of the game you learn pc is a Bhaalspawn, and Sarevok is one, too. At the end of bg1 cinematic, the possibility of many more bhaalspawns are hinted at.

Come SoA, nearly every important figure knows you are a Bhaalspawn and tries to use you. Imoen's essence is revealed in SoA too, a subtle hint that anyone, even the most innocent and bubbly person, can be a spawn.

In ToB, it is a full-blown Bhaalspawn madness. The plot is all about Bhaalspawn and you get to meet many, including the infamous Five, I think at this point the game designers even made a little joke with the fearsome Chinchilla Bhaalspawn and his friends.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Did Gorion know that Imoen was a Bhaalspawn? If he did, he probably would've mentioned it in the note you find in his room in chapter 6.

"Ohh hey I hope you didn't dump Imoen in a ditch somewhere. She's like...totally a Bhaalspawn as well."
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I personally like to think that Gorion didn't know Imoen was a Bhaalspawn. Helps to ease the ache in my head when I do that.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I always just assumed that Gorion didn't know. I don't recall any weirdness beyond that, though.
    Well Imoen was adopted ten years later in life than charname, so its possible the Harpers or Gorion suspected her of being a bhaalspawn and as a result (to keep an eye on her) Gorion adopted her.
    Gorion never adopted Imoen.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    scriver said:

Gorion never adopted Imoen.

Well... Technically he did, but Imoen took a greater liking to Winthrop and pretty much spent all her time under his wing rather than Gorion's. If I remember the biography correctly, at least...
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    DJKajuru said:

kcwise said:

Let's face it, good ol' step dad was a few coins short of a full fountain.

First, he was dumb enough to hook up with an evil chick who planned to sacrifice her baby to an evil god of murder! Second, he adopted said child of murder as his very own for keepsies. Third, he raised the kid up in a frikken library of all things and never bothered to prepare him/her for anything that was coming. Fourth, and finally, he sets off on a dangerous journey with only a handful of spells prepared and decided an acid arrow is the best option against a guy in full psycho armor. When, obviously, a couple of invisibility spells would have entirely foiled Sarevok's actions. Seriously, if the guy can't find someone who ran a few yards to the nearest road, he'd never be able to find someone under a cloak of invisibility.

So, um, yeah. Not surprised he didn't know about Imoen.

5- Finally, what if Firebead Elvenhair's spell was more than a simple "protection from evil"? I wonder if his spell was some kind of disguised contingency cast upon the protagonist.

I never got the protection from evil, I just buggered off with the scroll instead.
    DJKajuru said:

3-Gorion was warned on the night before . Maybe he didn't have 9 hours to left to prepare spells and leave. How many time has your party been unable to memorize specific spells because you couldn't rest?

This in particular is an excellent point.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    DJKajuru said:

I understand that you are joking, but I must defend charname's foster father!

1- A harper who falls in love for a priestess of Bhaal sounds quite an intriguing story.

2-Candlekeep is a fortress, full of knowledge and magic. In fact , if I had to raise my child and prepare him for tough times, a library would be an appropriate choice.

3-Gorion was warned on the night before . Maybe he didn't have 9 hours to left to prepare spells and leave. How many time has your party been unable to memorize specific spells because you couldn't rest?

4-Another possibility is a heroic sacrifice to save his foster child. Maybe Gorion intended to flash all that magic in order to distract Sarevok's band .

5- Finally, what if Firebead Elvenhair's spell was more than a simple "protection from evil"? I wonder if his spell was some kind of disguised contingency cast upon the protagonist.

Yep, I was just jesting, but discussion is fun so...

1- Fair point. Still, while it might be intriguing, it isn't necessarily very wise. Love is a leap of faith though so perhaps he did just fall for the wrong woman. It happens.

2- Candlekeep may be a fortress and a library but nothing Gorion did seemed to prepare the protagonist for what he or she might face beyond providing a happy and safe upbringing. Of course, in support of your argument, it's entirely possible Gorion WAS preparing the child by giving love and support in the hopes of canceling out the Bhaal essence. He may not have been concerned with battle skill as much as enough goodness to overpower all that murderous intent.

3- That's a good point, although I find it hard to believe that in a fortress of knowledge and magic he couldn't find a couple of invisibility potions or purchase/borrow whatever kind of scrolls he might have needed.

4- He certainly did make a heroic sacrifice in the face of the worst evil of all: the forced plot event. Not even an archmage can survive a writer who needs them to die just so, regardless of logic.

5- Yes, magic is the best explanation for anything which at face value looks a bit off. For instance, I'm pretty sure a paladin character would fall if they abandoned daddy to face off against overwhelming odds. Paladins are born to fight to the death regardless of the forces against them. So, magic is more than likely the explanation for a lot of things.
    Nah, Paladin's can still choose not to fight battles they cannot possibly win if their death would be a waste. They're not death seekers, and interpreting their oath as "never ever turn a fight down ever" is being needlessly lawful stupid.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Well... Technically he did, but Imoen took a greater liking to Winthrop and pretty much spent all her time under his wing rather than Gorion's. If I remember the biography correctly, at least...

No, I'm pretty sure that Winthrop was considered her guardian.

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    scriver said:

Nah, Paladin's can still choose not to fight battles they cannot possibly win if their death would be a waste. They're not death seekers, and interpreting their oath as "never ever turn a fight down ever" is being needlessly lawful stupid.

Not only that, but Gorion orders the PC to run. A Paladin would most likely always heed the wishes of his parent/guardian.