Skip to content

Help with Kit Mod

EtherheadEtherhead Member Posts: 16
Hi. I have an idea for a kit I'd like to add. It didn't seem very complicated at first, but I have nearly finished it and it won't install anyway, so I guess now is the best time to ask for help.

-What I have:
Near Infinity
EE Keeper
DLTCEP
WeiDU

My idea is that of a type of mix between certain kits, basically (from what I gathered about CLAB****.2da)
...which by the way is what I'm having trouble figuring out: advantages and disadvantages.

I don't know much about scripting.
The Problem: when I go to install my TP2 file using WeiDU I get a Parse Error around line 47, asking for "~" near SAY ~MyKit~ etc.

The Question:
Once someone can help me figure out why this is happening, which would effectively finish the mod... I was wondering how I can actually implement ALL the advantages/disadvantages I have in mind.

~~~
Class: Duelist
The Duelist is a type of Bard.
Duelist: The Duelist fights for personal glory, as a matter of honor, or to prove his worth. Using only Single handed weapons, the Duelist settles disputes and lives to tell the tale.

*May Master Single-Weapon Fighting Style
*May Specialize in any slashing or piercing weapon

Disadvantages:
*May not use Missile Weapons (except throwing daggers)
*May not wear metal armor

Restriction: Any Except True Neutral
~~~

Ok, sounds good, right? On paper.
Now, this is the part I hate. It basically needs to rely on a custom CLAB file I think, because it is like a Cavalier, except it should progress as a Bard(5), Not be able to use helmets and/or anything but bucklers. Also, it seems a little overboard, but I really wanted to disadvantage the kit in meaningful ways. Critique? Concerns? Comments?

Any help would be appreciated so much! Thanks.
P.S. - This might actually not be doable, but I have BGEE, IWDEE and BG2EE. If that counts.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2016
    "The Problem: when I go to install my TP2 file using WeiDU I get a Parse Error around line 47, asking for "~" near SAY ~MyKit~ etc."

Ctrl+paste that that line/section of your mod here.
  • EtherheadEtherhead Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2016
    Hey Elminster,
    Thanks for your help.
    Ok, So I figured out what the error meant. Now I get the install option. But I am having trouble with it. Still need some help with the custom CLAB. It's a good place to start as I don't even know where the path should point.
    ~Duelist/Duelist/CLABPA02.2da~

(something like that for the cavalier for starters - but i wanna mix it with the stalker/archer, and of course be a bard)
    here's the whole thing

// PC races and classes allowed to use this kit, from KITTABLE.2da
    ~K_B_H K_B_HE K_B_HL K_B_HO~

// usability flags, added to the end of the KITLIST.2da entry
    ~0x00010000 5~

// HLA table to use; see LUABBR.2da
    ~Du5~

// list of starting equipment for PCs starting in ToB. Appended column-wise to 25STWEAP.2da
    ~CHAN09 * BAG20 RING06 RING31 * BOOT01 AMUL19 BRAC16 BELT06 AROW11,40 BULL03,40 BOLT06,40 POTN52,5 POTN4,2 POTN14,5 HAM07 SW1H27 STAF08~

SAY ~Duelist~
    SAY ~Duelist~
    SAY ~Desciption cut due to length~
    edited January 2016

Umm...thats not really a custom Clab file. At least not in the sense you may be thinking. Unless you plan on also having the cavalier changed as a result of your work you probably want to rename the file (and start from a bard clab 2DA from the get go).

A clab file basically is there to give the kit innate abilities, additional spells, or passive bonuses/penalties (by passive bonuses/penalties I mean if the kit gives you a bonus that is always active, like druids eventually getting immunity to poison). So I mean if you want your kit to have access to something like Protection From Evil and any other activatable or passive bonus a cavalier would get (including the ones they get for just being a paladin) then CLABPA02 is fine to use it, but you aren't going to be able to change the kit much without that also affecting any cavalier someone is using (well you could but it would require a lot more tinkering and there really isn't any reason to do so). I would just come up with a different file name that isn't currently used. If you plan on sharing this mod as well you should get a prefix cleared for use as well (in my case my prefix is k9).

List of all used prefixs

http://www.blackwyrmlair.net/prefixes/

Place to register one.

http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net/index.php?showtopic=113

You should check out someones kitpack or other kits (particularly the EE compatible ones) to see how they are organized. I'm just going to include a download link to my own.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/getdownload/7089-a-frosty-journey-the-iwdee-kitpack/

Also (at least in an unmodded game) halflings and half orcs can't be a bard. Just figured I'd point that out. I'm referring to this line here.

~K_B_H K_B_HE K_B_HL K_B_HO~

So (without requiring BG tweaks or something else to be installed) you'd also need to change what races can access the bard.
    Thanks for your post! Everywhere I google just ends up at the Gibberlings3.net index page. Quite irritating. -_-

I'll keep you guys posted.
    Gibberlings 3's website has had that bug for a long time.
    edited January 2016
    Edit:

Alright, so I have come so far. I had a few snags along the way. Namely, misnaming files and such.

My third and (hopefully final) question is, why is my 2da file and weaprof conflicting? I really wonder what I'm doing wrong. It says, "I was given 50 some odd lines, but I was told to only append 33 (or so)"... what the heck?

I'm sure it would be clear to someone with a little more experience than I.
    Post edited by Etherhead on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminster
    Etherhead said:

Edit:

Alright, so I have come so far. I had a few snags along the way. Namely, misnaming files and such.

My third and (hopefully final) question is, why is my 2da file and weaprof conflicting? I really wonder what I'm doing wrong. It says, "I was given 50 some odd lines, but I was told to only append 33 (or so)"... what the heck?

I'm sure it would be clear to someone with a little more experience than I.

Can you post the tp2 file (or even the full mod) here in a zip file? It would make it easier to find out whats up.
    Yes, now would be the perfect time to do that as I have finally installed the mod (With Warnings) so I have a great DEBUG to look over. At this point even I am debating what I should and shouldn't try on my first mod. Here it is.
    edited January 2016
    I left it entirely open, so I know that is the direct problem. However, I didn't think that would cause it not to show up in my game once installing it. There's no option to choose it. So I did a few things wrong.

I figured it would be wise to get it going at least before editing spells, etc. since the tutorial is a little more difficult at that stage.
    (The .2DA that is, it's just empty asterisks :blush: )
    Here is what I am looking at with the install debug. It's just a copy+paste of my DEBUG file for that mod only.

Apparently the warning is for using ThiefSkl on a Non-Thief. Also, there is some further mistakes about the mod not having a mod name in the 2DA. If you either try installing it or looking at the DEBUG, you can see how clever I am not.
    successfully installed.
    i removed some optional bonus stuff listed at or below kit_name = ~"kit"~
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Etherhead said:

Everywhere I google just ends up at the Gibberlings3.net index page. Quite irritating. -_-

elminster said:

Gibberlings 3's website has had that bug for a long time.

This is due to a (relatively recent) change in the address of G3, so the old links don't work anymore, but it is possible to manually fix them by replacing

forums.gibberlings3.net/

with

gibberlings3.net/forums/

Example:

this doesn't work (old link)
    http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=25597

this does
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25597
    This is a copy of my working mod.
    It is (fairly) lite. There are no real big changes - especially since I do not want him to have songs ...in the end. It took me about 12 hours to make, and it is my first mod. However, I would like him to have 10% higher lower value or so. And an additional quick weapon slot. Any how, enjoy. :wink: