Skip to content

Kinda getting bored of my cav.

2»

Comments

• NhullNhull Member Posts: 37
    Cool idea, I really like it actually may try it myself.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @vish Uh there is Anomen.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    vish said:

Fighter/Cleric is a nice touch and there aren't any worthy ones in BG2. There's Jahiera and Cernd, Druids but you get the point. They both lack the offensive/defensive power of an F/C. Fighter/Clerics are extremely powerful if they're dual classed, probably tied for 2nd place on the power totem pole.

I wonder about the dual. I figure a multi would get fighter HLAs and end with better THAC0, plus you can get the shorty saves. However, the dual will have stronger buffs (harder to dispel with RM/DM). I prefer single-classes (or duals) conceptually, but with a small party, a multi offers so much more.

I think, at this point, I'm mostly debating a shorty fighter/cleric vs a half-elven ranger/cleric, and I might SK the R/C to a cleric of Lathander (though that wouldn't work with the F/C). I would probably mod the R/C to ensure he does not get the druid spells past level 3 (or is it 4?).
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    SI Abiuration protects against RM and DM, at least in not EE which is the version I play.

Spell Sequencer can be loaded whith GM and 2 save or else spells, GM always first as they are fired whith a micro delay in the order you loaded the sequencer.

2 mages can use an effective save or else strategy in 1 round (depends on the level of the mages), the first casts a LR, the second the sequencer.
    Some enemies need more than a LR, is true but I don't think that there are many enemies in unmodded BG2 that have really hight MR (but is a long time I don't play umnmodded, I may be wrong). And some strong single enemies like dragons are worthed a couple of rounds of casting.
    I usually rely more on SoE strategies when I am at highter level and my LR get strongher, also I can use Spell Triggers. A ST whith 2xLR and GM and a second whith 3XFleeblemind or Skin to Stone can resolve a tought battle in moments.

But I have used SoE strategies also at lower levels then that, mainly whith dragons, and the fight can be a lot of fun, something very close to a dance, a choreography, whith summons, protected fighters and mages dancing in circles around the dragon, summons taking breaths, mages casting the spells in the correct sequence and fighters helping summons to distract the beast, but taking care of being not to much damaged themselves.
    And when at the end of the battle the curtain lowers on the big rock statue or on the idiot whith the AI script completely disabled I feel very rewarded.

At low levels dealing whith multiple magic resistant enemies is a different problem, but then use spells that bypass MR at all. or use different strategies.

I don't know IWD magic system, but the one of BG2, once you get used of it, is complex but very stimulating to play, and when you begin to master it is also very powerfull.
    Maybe fighters can deal a lot of dps, maybe even more than mages (but in many situations have to resort in the help of the mages to deal damage at all), but the mages are the true kings of BG2.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    Mages have fewer spells to strip spell protections, however there are also fewer spell protections. So you can just cast cool spells all the time.
    IMHO loosing a lot in complexity and fun. BG2 magic is moves and counter moves, gambits and sometimes, whith some mods, problems whith no apparent solutions.
    I see that can be frustrating until you get used to it and gain knowledge.

But the nasty mage that you can't touch and that kick your BEEEP uses the same spells that your mage or maybe your mages can use, only better......
    Learn from your enemies, analize what they do and try to make better, your intelligence is better then their AI (the problem now is that your knowledge is worst that the one of who scripted their AI, but this can be easily solved if you learn from them).
  • vishvish Member Posts: 49

@vish Uh there is Anomen.

Yea but he sucks: 10 Dexterity, 12-16 Wisdom, and crap THAC0. He can't be a reliable frontliner in To, Jahieria and Cernd are better than him imo. Like I said, you will make a much better Fighter/Cleric. Clerics level really fast and you can dual them at 12, 14, and even 18/19 as a Fighter. You'll have your Fighter/Cleric ready near the end of Chapter 6 if you exp grind in a smaller party, providing you choose to dual at 18/19. Much, much sooner otherwise.
    He does not suck. There are gautlets to solve the Dexterity problem, and also a spell.
    The Wisdom completing his quest in the right way is not the one of Viconia, but how much spells he loose against 18 WIS?
    His Thaco is enough to hit almost everithing in early game and late game will be 6 less a pure fighter, but he will gain +7 Thaco and +14 DMG from spells, auto rolling for max damage. putting him around the mlee power of a pure fighter of the same xp.
    As he will be a little less than the level of a pure cleric of the same xp.
    He looses 1/2 APR and that can not be solved.
    Shure you can build a better F/C, Anomen is not the stronghest NPC of BG2, the ephitome of PWgaming, but is ready to use as you find him, no downtime. and he will grow as cleric sooner then a one dualed at highter level.
    Sayng that sucks and can't be a reliable frontliner is excessive.

• vishvish Member Posts: 49
    edited January 2016
    @gorgonzola The idea was to give the OP a route for a new class. Anomen sucks imo. Dexterity guantlets are better used on Korgan/Keldorn. Do you really want either of them in ToB with such a low AC? No you don't. You can raise your PC's Wisdom up to 24 permanently with in tomes, Lum's machine, and the Deck of Many Things. 24 gives you 2 6th level bonus spells plus all the other bonus spells. 19 (because Anomen isn't in BG1) gives you only a 1st and a 4th. When using a smaller party, which I suggested, those 2 extra 5th and 6th level spells are critical.

Any character can be good with the right gear. Sometimes that gear is better served on someone else. Like wasting Dexterity guantlets on Anomen keeps you from using them on Korgan/Keldorn and since Korgan/Keldorn isn't using them they're pretty squishy. Considering the PC with an 18/xx Strength roll, 18 Dexterity, 18 Constitution, and 18 Wisdom allows you to be a deserved wearer of specialization gauntlets and overall powerhouse, it's worth making over settling on Anomen. The THAC0 difference in ToB is rather significant whether you want to believe it or not.

You substitute both roles of Fighter/Cleric and your main melee guy and have another in Keldorn/Korgan. Leaving you 1 more option for a better party member. Say another healer like Aerie who is also a Mage. So in a small party or even a party of 6 you can have PC, Korgan/Keldorn, Aerie, Jan for a 4 man group. And you can make a boss party with the formers+ Sarevok and Edwin making 4 potential Mages (Sarevok), 3 frontliners, 2 Clerics, and Turnip Boy. When you factor in mods like SCS parties like that are basically the only way you can make it through the game.

Anomen isn't reliable/equal in comparison to the PC I've suggested. That's the point I'm making. Casual playthroughs? Yea Anomen is pretty decent if you know what spells to use, and don't mind giving him gear that's better on others.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Actually Anomen doesn't need the dexterity gauntlets in ToB since he has DUHM.
    He benifits from the spell also from early SoA as he starts to gain levels as cleric immediately, no downtime.
    The dexterity problem is real whith both Kel & Kor in the party.
    And tomes, if you export them in BG2, Deck and lum's m. can be used also whith Anomen.

Shure, he is not the PWgamer's best choice, and as PWgamer I will be more concerned about the 1/2 APR lost dualling early, but PWgaming is only a possible way to play this game and the OP was very happy of his Cav PWG wise, Huge % of killings, but was bored for other reasons......

Anyway my point was Just:

He does not suck.

Sayng that sucks and can't be a reliable frontliner is excessive.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2016
    nevermind, ninja'd - didn't see page two of comments.