Skip to content

Did anyone make a full run with all the 5 NPCs in the BG2EE from SoA till end of ToB?

Did anyone tried making a full run with all the 5 NPCs all the way till endgame ToB?

I am curious how it would be ^^, and what class did you choose for charname to balance the party up?

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Bubbles said:

Did anyone tried making a full run with all the 5 NPCs all the way till endgame ToB?

I am curious how it would be ^^, and what class did you choose for charname to balance the party up?

To clarify, you are saying Neera, Hexxat, Dorn, Rasaad, and Wilson, yes?

If so, I've not yet, though it's an interesting idea. Generally, since you're lacking a cleric and your melee classes are a bit papery, I'd say a Cleric/Ranger or Fighter/Cleric would probably fill the roles you're lacking best.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Yes, I am referring to those 5.
    Right now, I am trying with an Archer (deliberately opting out cleric, as I really can't stand their ultra long casting time in emergencies).
    And I am doing all those 5 NPCs quests as soon as it activate to hard to the challenge (Rasaad's quest fighting those monks is quite challenging since most of my funds are in that Firetooth n Tansheron bow to try avoid head-on melee as charname n most party members are still at lvl 8-9 with mediocre equipment + I am avoiding doing re-loads throughout the run to have greater challenge).
    Neera's summons are craps, die like flies at the hands of the Sharans (That was on a previous attempt with charname using a modded Firetooth, now trying to do a legit run).

Thus I am hoping if anyone could shed some light into such an attempt.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I had asked the similar question before the game was released and before we found out about Wilson.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/23468/party-of-dorn-hexxat-rasaad-and-neera-who-to-choose-as-a-charname-and-the-5th-npc/p1

The advice I took was to become an Avenger druid. I've liked that party (I took Wilson when I found him) and found the Avenger very useful. I would recommend to try the Avenger, @Bubbles.
    @bengoshi, thank you. I will do that if this Archer die at the 2-fold temple. Right now I am on the way to collect Wilson, and probably avoid that Temple first and go Enclave to pickpocket all the items I need from those Thayians (since they are really bad, I do not feel morally bad about stealing from them ^^).
    By the way, Wilson can be pretty fun if you manage to rush him to spellcasters (I can imagine the looks of those spellcasters seeing a Grizzly charging at them as they fumble with their spells ^^).
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I've done it with four out of five, taking Rasaad, Dorn, Neera and Hexxat, in a full run through BG2ee (and including first taking Rasaad, Dorn and Neera through BG1ee as well). But not also with Wilson in the same party (nor with Baeloth in BG1ee).

If I tried it, I'd probably go for a single-class Cleric as protagonist (most likely a Priest of Lathander, yet playing the party as fairly Neutral to keep everyone happy). Alternatively, maybe a dual-classed Fighter->Cleric (in which case probably unkitted).

When I did it with just the non-Easter-Egg NPCs, I used a Cleric/Illusionist protagonist.
    @Gallowglass, I decided to use the Easter Egg (EE xD) NPC so that it will proof to be a greater challenge I hope. I kind of like that Grizzly, no as an NPC but well as a Grizzly Bear ^^.
    ! thing is, if done without Wilson, means it is just yet another typical party where you can then have the freedom to make use of that slot for a less restrictive and more beneficial NPC.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2016
    I would have expected Rasaad and Dorn to have problems when used together, maybe even attacking each other. Of course, Korgan's pretty bloodthirsty, and I don't think he ever attacks any good party members. Make fun of them and taunt them cruelly, yes, but not attack them. So I guess Dorn could be the same. But will Rasaad really support attacking the Radiant Heart?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592

I would have expected Rasaad and Dorn to have problems when used together, maybe even attacking each other. Of course, Korgan's pretty bloodthirsty, and I don't think he ever attacks any good party members. Make fun of them and taunt them cruelly, yes, but not attack them. So I guess Dorn could be the same. But will Rasaad really support attacking the Radiant Heart?

Since that quest is immediately after recruiting Dorn you may as well recruit him first, do the first quest and then recruit Rasaad.

If I were to play an EE playthrough I'd go for an EE kit. Probably excluding DMM/SSM since I already have a monk, blackguard for the same reason. Dragon Disciple, Shadowdancer and Dwarven Defender remain. I'd either go for Shadowdancer into Cleric (since I have none with this team) or a Dragon Disciple.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @BelgarathMTH Rasaad doesn't have conflicts with Dorn. The only character Rasaad can have a conflict with is Sarevok (if evil).
    All the EE NPCs have no conflicts with each other.
    That is the reason why I decided to try a run with all 5.
    By the way I hate fighting monks in BG2EEs. For some strange reason, the monks seemed to make successful hits far often than fighters (technically fighter has the best THACO table).
    Those Sharans at the 2-fold temple seemed to do a lot of damage and scoring successful hits very often even though I am only on Core Rules.
    And strange enough, even mirror-imaged+Stoneskin, Sharan Assassins never seemed to fail their 1st hit when they exit shadow and either backstab or attack+ their poison goes through stoneskin but not their weapon damage(kind of illogical since if your weapon can't contact physically, how the hell did the poison get through?).
    @BelgarathMTH, I recruited Dorn after I have Rasaad in my party and Rasaad didn't even make a sound about the Firejaw fight.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    bengoshi said:

@BelgarathMTH Rasaad doesn't have conflicts with Dorn. The only character Rasaad can have a conflict with is Sarevok (if evil).

Er ... well, it depends what you mean by "conflict".

Rasaad can also be said to "conflict" with Viconia. They don't actually fight physically, but if you try to do Rasaad's ToB quest with Viconia in the party, then she'll walk out permanently (i.e. leave the game completely) ... which is really bad if she's your main healer/buffer/etc. [Workaround: drop Viconia temporarily while you do Rasaad's ToB quest, and then you can still pick her up again afterwards.]
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited January 2016
    I gave Hexxat and Neera a go... couldn't really stand them and eventually dropped them both. Rashad looks somewhat more promising but I doubt I'll ever be able to stomach a full party of the new guys for an entire saga run. I've also uninstalled EE and gone back to a BGT run using the good old BG2 engine. BG2EE sadly offers a lot of promise but currently, between the disappointing NPCs and at least 3 deal breaker bugs (APR bug, the supposedly 'improved' pathfinding stupidly trapping characters during combat, paladins getting turned by LG clerics, several others I can't recall off the top of my head) I found myself prefering the older engine. I do like the GUI elements/look of the EE version, at least.

Maybe when the next patch comes out I'll give it another go, but for now it goes to the shelf.
    Post edited by ithildurnew on
    Pathfinding was much better during v1.2xx.
    I cannot stomach the new NPCs myself but I am forcing myself to try the challenge ^^.
    Oh dear, Dorn just got disintegrated 5 minutes ago by Gul Dukeem .... this Gul has very efficient disintegrate.

For those who are interested in using Wilson, be careful not to let the Grizzly be dominated X_X.
    He will be a very painful foe if he turns on your party.