Skip to content

Chain Contingency should go off when your hit points are reduced to (and below) 10%, 25% and 50%.

OhmegaOhmega Member Posts: 35
edited January 2016 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
Currently the Chain Contingency just doesn't go off when these conditions are met.

No animation plays after the character dies as with enemy mages.

This is NOT a load issue - as with Time Traps not going off/not existing when reloading a game.

Scenario:

I cast Chain Contingency and set it to 50% health.

I have one of my party members attack this party member until the hit points reach and/or are below this threshold.

Chain Contingency does not fire.

Now, I can either kill the character completely and it will NOT go off (/my character dies to Abazigal because of this) OR I can check the Contingency in the spell book, me: "What is happening?!". When I check the contingency in the spell book and my character is still alive it triggers: Like, "OH YEEEEAAAAH, you casted this huh?"

EDIT: Struggling to recreate the issue. Might be just EXTREMELY delayed and gone off coincidentally at the same time I clicked the Contingency button. (I had enough time to be confused as to why it wasn't going off, open the spell book and click the button... a seriously long time - long enough to die TWICE in a fight without it going off)

Adendum: Chain Contingency should go off "IMMEDIATELY" when these conditions are met. As outlined in the spell book.
Post edited by Ohmega on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    yeah, sometimes chain contingency can be a little delayed, I do see that sometimes it will go off immediately ( if you use it for offensive spell for example) but especially for the defensive ones it would be very very useful for them to go off immediately, that 2 second delay could be the difference between living or dieing
  • OhmegaOhmega Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2016
    I'm not getting "immediate" for offensive spells either (in many situations). It's still very delayed.

Not sure if this depends on whether or not the enemy has already been scouted by other party members.

I know it's not immediate if you cast it while standing next to a group of enemies but usually occurs in the next round of combat.

i.e. I just fought Abazigal (you can probably tell), had Chain Contingency with offensive spells (Lower Resistance and 2xBigby's Clenching Fist) cast as well as a Spell Trigger with Lower Resist and Breach etc. Used the Spell Trigger on him during the fight and forgot I even had the Chain Contingency which finally goes off when I fight some Mercenaries back in Athkatla...

It's VERY unreliable. Sometimes it's immediate? But I see it being very, very slow more often than not.

N.B. Haven't play tested it; this is just my experience of offensive spells and Chain Contingency thus far.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I think this is how it works: at the beginning of each round (or at the beginning of each half-round if you're hasted), it checks to see if your health is below the threshold (I think if you have the exact health percentage left it doesn't trigger). If it is, the contingency triggers.

The problem, of course, is knowing when each round begins. If you're desperate you could turn on auto-pause to make it pause each round, though that would be really annoying.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.