Skip to content

Greetings from the mid-atlantic

BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
edited January 2016 in Off-Topic
Not going anywhere today. More time for games.

[spoiler=View out front]image[/spoiler]

[spoiler=View out back]image[/spoiler]

It's still coming down heavy. Luckily it's dry snow. We had one a few years ago with wet snow and it took down tree limbs and powerlines all over the place.

Edit: Those pictures were too darn big!

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2016
    Here I thought (based on the title) that you were on like a cruise in the middle of the atlantic :)

Where I am (Toronto) its sunny and there are only small patches of snow on the ground. Most of it has melted. From the sounds of things though its a really bad storm heading over you. So hopefully the damage is minimized.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    So it is not unsual to see that amount of snow in this season where you live?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited January 2016
    We get a blizzard about once every 2 - 4 years. This is the most snow we've gotten since I moved here in '97, though not the most damaging. The storm of 2007 (or was it '08?) that I mentioned earlier probably has that distinction. Most years, we get a few storms that drop a couple of inches, then melt in a few days. I'm in Virginia, near Washington, DC, which is technically "The South".

[spoiler=I have conquered the stairs]image[/spoiler]

The snow was up around the railing. Also, my beard isn't that grey, those are icicles. Next came hot cocoa, liniment, Ibuprofen, and a shot of rum, in that order.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    I'm with you bro. Two straight days of shoveling to dig myself out. At least the gov. is closed so no work tomorrow. I should be able to move my car.
    It was good 40 man-hours between the 4 of us over the last 2 days. We've got two of our three cars dug out, the third is in a nearby parking lot that has yet to see a plow. We had to dig a system of Y-shaped trenches in the yard just to have a place to put the snow. I am feeling every day of my age right now.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    How many mm of snow did you get?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I think every person should have a day or two like that - it's just a great feeling when the snow is outside and you're in your house with a warm cup of coffee enjoying the favourite thing.

And you can go out and make a snowman. Or a snow dragon.
    @FinneousPJ 2 1/2 feet, so about 760 mm

@bengoshi There's enough here to make a snow tarrasque.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @BillyYank Yeah that is a lot :D