Skip to content

Druids casting as Sorcerers?

Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
edited September 2012 in Feature Requests
I've read that one of the efforts of this remake is to de-hardcode some of the features that were previously hardcoded and thus unmoddable. One of the things that I really wanted for BG but never had was to have the Druid class choose and cast spells like the Sorcerer, what I call pool casting (since you're choosing from a pool of spells) instead of memory casting. For my own house rules and revisions, as well as my own taste, I've wanted this for a long time. I know that there's a mod for BG that kinda sorta does this, but it's really just an overpowered sorcerer kit with some druid spells tacked on... not what I'm looking for.

I wonder if anyone knows if such a thing will be possible with the remake. I would really like to have druids be pool casters, and then be able to take kits on top of that, not just having pool casting as a kit by itself.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows if the casters will have separate casting tables? With the tiny modding I've done with BG, it seems that there's three: Cleric, Druid, and Mage/Sor/Bard tables. I would like to be able to customize the Bard table so they have a unique selection of spells, without changing the spell tables for Mages and Sors. It might even be nice to try Bards as pool casters also.

Does anyone know if this might be possible?

Comments

• Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
    Bump.

Would it be possible to ask a dev or somebody?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    First of all, you should put this in "Feature Requests".
    Second, due to contract limitations (and second edition of D&D), developers can't change it, if I'm not mistaken. However, many hard-coded limitations are going to be re-writen, so it could be easier to work with for modders. So, someday you might expect a mod of your request to come out.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @ZelgadisGW: I don't think he's asking for druids to be reworked that way, because that isn't how they work in PnP anyway. He's just asking if the code gets lifted for divine spellcasters so a mod can somehow make one behave in the same manner as a sorcerer if he or she so wishes.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This would make sense as an externalization request ( @AndreaColombo, I choose you!), although I'm not convinced that this isn't already possible.

@ZelgadisGW: I don't think he's asking for druids to be reworked that way, because that isn't how they work in PnP anyway. He's just asking if the code gets lifted for divine spellcasters so a mod can somehow make one behave in the same manner as a sorcerer if he or she so wishes.

Precisely. I'm not asking the devs to do this, I just want to know if the core rules will be relaxed enough that a mod will be ABLE to make this possible. From my limited modding skills and what I've seen, it isn't possible with BG as it stands.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Spirit Shamans (as they are call in 3.5e, in Complete Divine) for 2e

I could really dig it, since they already jimmy-rigged other 3e-only classes in here.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I'll need a modder to give me some more insight as to what exactly should be externalized for both requests in the OP: druids casting like sorcerers; assigning a unique selection of spells to bard.

I'll summon our resident spell guru @Galactygon for the task.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Lord_Gay I think I also answered that matter - I said that game code is re-written, so less thing would be hard-coded. Meaning that more thing will be moddable, maybe including spellcasting system.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited October 2012
    Just FYI if you didn't know, NWN2 with the Mask of the Betrayer expansion installed lets you do that. The druid version is, as @LordsDarkKnight185 said, called a spirit shaman, and the cleric version is called a favored soul. Spellcasting is based on charisma like a sorcerer or bard, rather than the usual wisdom.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    @Lord_Gay http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/132-druidic-sorcerer-kit/

Never played it, so I dunno what the mod is like.

@Lord_Gay I think I also answered that matter - I said that game code is re-written, so less thing would be hard-coded. Meaning that more thing will be moddable, maybe including spellcasting system.

Thank you, but the "maybe" part is what I'd like answered. I am aware that the devs are de-hardcoding some core features so that modding will be possible for areas that are currently blocked. It's what's being de-hardcoded that I'm curious about, specifically this spell info.

Just FYI if you didn't know, NWN2 with the Mask of the Betrayer expansion installed lets you do that. The druid version is, as @LordsDarkKnight185 said, called a spirit shaman, and the cleric version is called a favored soul. Spellcasting is based on charisma like a sorcerer or bard, rather than the usual wisdom.

Thank you, I did not know that! I played NWN1 but wasn't sufficiently moved by it to be keen for NWN2. I've also heard some conflicting accounts about how it's possibly worse than the first one. A quick look on Amazon says that with the two packs it's $60+, so I'll probably get it eventually when I find a lower price.
    ryuken87 said:

@Lord_Gay http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/132-druidic-sorcerer-kit/

Never played it, so I dunno what the mod is like.

Yes, I came across that in my search for the druid-sor, and I also found a more recent version here:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/geomantic/

Unfortunately I find them high powered with me a low power gamer, which is why I'd like to just fine tune the class myself, which means knowing if EE will allow it. Thank you though for looking for me. I appreciate your efforts. : )
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Lord_Gay said:

Thank you, I did not know that! I played NWN1 but wasn't sufficiently moved by it to be keen for NWN2. I've also heard some conflicting accounts about how it's possibly worse than the first one. A quick look on Amazon says that with the two packs it's $60+, so I'll probably get it eventually when I find a lower price.

I was about to link to the Steam version, then I just realized it isn't there anymore. I'm kind of confused.

Quick google search is saying there is some sort of Lawsuit surrounding NWN2? Now I'm super duper confused. No wonder the price of the title is jacked up on Amazon right now.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/663767/#Comment_663767

Who could have guessed that nearly after 3 years of this request we'll finally get close to druids casting spells like sorcerers? :)
    bengoshi said:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/663767/#Comment_663767

Who could have guessed that nearly after 3 years of this request we'll finally get close to druids casting spells like sorcerers? :)

Zzzzz... snort....zzz... huhwhassat....zzz...drudsorcers...mmm...whaddanicedream.

Huh? How... how long have I been asleep?