Skip to content

2nd Ed. Forgotten Realms littérature. I need to get schooled.

BomimoBomimo Member Posts: 18
edited January 2016 in Off-Topic
I've been playing these games since i was a kid, but haven't really read any of the relevant literature apart from a horribly translated version of the series about "the times of trouble." (what was that book series called?)

I'd love to really get into the Forgotten Realms. I've always felt sort of drawn to them in a way most people seem drawn to Middle-Earth. But the thing is, there's so much literature and no way to get an overview of what to read.

So i'd like to ask anyone versed in FR Lore:

1. Could you recommend me the stories that deal with the Locations and plots (not the novelizations though) of the Infinity Engine games? (Dales, Sword Coast, Times of Trouble)

2. Could you recommend me the stories that give me a wider and deeper insight into everything else in Forgotten Realms? (Races, Countries, legendary heroes, Gods, Organizations, Guilds, Cultures, Dungeons, Monsters.)

Note: i'm not looking for a codex that just hands me all the answers in list-form. I want to read the books that gave FR its legs to stand on. The books that really sold this universe. I'm also only interested in the books that deal with the universe pre-3rd edition.

If anyone could advice me, i'd greatly appreciate it. I've been meaning to really jump in for years and i'd rather do it now than later.

Comments

• mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Another thing about the cleric quintet, is that it has absolutely my most favorite villian of all time. He compares in character depth quite well to Irenicus, but they are very very different. Irenicus is probably my most favorite villian in video games. The villian of the quintet is my favorite villian in fiction.

That should be motivation enough to read the quintet before the legacy of the drow. You can also read the quintet before you read the icewind dale trilogy if you want without spoiling any of the stories.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Avatar Trilogy. Shadowdale, Tantras and Waterdeep depict the passing of Time of Troubles, deaths of some gods, ascension of new ones, and is pretty much a prologue to Baldurs Gate series main plot.

Then it continues with Prince of Lies and Crucible:Trial of Cyric the Mad. These books shed light on how gods work/perceive themselves, the limits and extends of their powers, what makes them tick, etc. in the Forgotten Realms. Enjoyable reads.
    Another interesting thing about the books I just recommended is that right before they were written, TSR (previous owner of dnd) was going through some serious financial trouble. Those books alone helped to keep the forgotten realms alive during the time. Even though TSR eventually went under, they helped the forgotten realms to stay valuable when wizards of the coast finally bought them out.

In other words, those books are literally what gave FR it's legs to stand on in a time of finacial trouble for the owners of FR, TSR.
  • BomimoBomimo Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the recommendations so far guys! I'll definitely have to pick up everything mentioned so far. Seems you've covered the Dales pretty thoroughly for me. Does the Sword Coast have any more stories set there besides the Avatar Trilogy?

How's it looking in terms of wider scope? anything out there that shows the different regions and peoples of FR, Deals with magic, Lore and Legends? Dungeons, locations and the monsters that comes with them?
    The books I mentioned, without any spoiler specifics (because they will be once you start reading) cover a great portion of the sword coast and more.
  • SquireSquire Member Posts: 511
    There's also the Songs and Swords books, set in Waterdeep, and featuring Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun and the Harpers, if you're into the whole cloak-and-dagger thing. Apparently Danilo Thann was based on the Scarlet Pimpernel.

Then there's the The Rogues series, starting with The Alabaster Staff, which are set in Thay, and the third one, Crimson Gold, features Szass Tam, and I think it includes the story of how he became a lich.

The books I mentioned, without any spoiler specifics (because they will be once you start reading) cover a great portion of the sword coast and more.

Your posts in this topic have been hugely helpful (seriously impossible to understate.). Thanks for putting in all that work.
    No problem. Those books have been very influential in my life (I own them all and read them frequently). They are more than just fictional stories, too. without any spoilers, drizzt and the main character of the cleric quintet both go through some very moving soul searching. The main character of paths of darkness also goes through some very very painful emotional difficulties. I know lots of people who like those books but don't really like FR or dnd. They are definitely books more about characters than places though. Hopefully you like them! Let me know what you think once you get into them.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Since Ed Greenwood is also largely attributed with the foundations of the Forgotten realms it is probably a good place to read as well. The Spellfire books are quite good and of course Ed is responsible for loosing Elminster on the world (for however you may feel about that).

Elaine Cunningham also wrote some good early Forgotten realms. She wrote Songs and swords which I liked and Starlight and Shadows which I didn't think was as good. But worth taking a look.
  • GrogbagGrogbag Member Posts: 9
    I would also suggest looking at the pnp game source books. Certainly the v3 s 3.5 Faerun source book and the v3.5 players guide to faerun. They give background on key characters such as Elminster and key groups such as the Red Wizards, Zents etc. There are also books dedicated to each region with detailed backgrounds and the gods and pantheons book. Lots of background along with game rules. If you find v2 equivalents they might even shed more light on the infinity engine mechanics since the game rules will equate.

No problem. Those books have been very influential in my life (I own them all and read them frequently). They are more than just fictional stories, too. without any spoilers, drizzt and the main character of the cleric quintet both go through some very moving soul searching. The main character of paths of darkness also goes through some very very painful emotional difficulties. I know lots of people who like those books but don't really like FR or dnd. They are definitely books more about characters than places though. Hopefully you like them! Let me know what you think once you get into them.

I actually managed to find each of the Drizzt Trilo-/quadrilogies as neat single-volume compilations. Gonna start out with the first one. The_Spyder mentioned some Elminster books. Can anyone elaborate?
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    At one point Wizards released the source material for the Netheril setting for free online -- a search should lead you to the "Netheril: Empire of Magic" and "How the Mighty are Fallen" PDFs. The latter is pretty clever, if the player's don't help bring about the destruction of a entire civilization they will put events in motion that will destroy all life on the planet.

Flawed setting -- because why would anyone play anything other than a mage -- but good writing that explains why there are so many ruins around Faerun.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Bomimo said:

I actually managed to find each of the Drizzt Trilo-/quadrilogies as neat single-volume compilations. Gonna start out with the first one. The_Spyder mentioned some Elminster books. Can anyone elaborate?

Ed Greenwood wrote a whole series of Elminster books.

I thought they were very good and well worth the read. I have seen a few people post that they think the character is more Deux Ex Machina rather than a character in it's own right. Just covering all bases. But I would highly recommend at least trying the books out and making your own judgment.
    aren't both Khelben Arunsen and Elminster the oldest, wisest and most powerful people in FR lore? I remember reading about at least Elminster and one more who are both nearing a thousand years in age.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    The Netherese liches and shades are older. On raw stats I'd say that Larloch is the most powerful non-divine being but Elminster has a god on his side so he is probably the most powerful.

Larloch v Elminster / Elminster v the Shades is apparently the plot of one of the recent books.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    The series with Olive Ruskettle is the "Finder's Stone" series, which starred Alias, who was essentially a golem who gained sentience. It introduced Saurials to the Realms. "Azure Bonds" was the first book. "The Wyvern's Spur" is the second story, and follows Olive Ruskettle rather than Alias. The third book is "Song of the Sauriels" and picks up Alias's story once more.

She then turns up again in "Masquerades" in the Harper's Series.

In fact, seek out all the books in the Harper's series for some really good reads. That was one series I really liked.