Skip to content

Party tips for custom rolled stats

Height00Height00 Member Posts: 1
Ok, so here is the deal, instead of letting the game roll for my stats i decided to do that myself. The reason being only one - an attempt to simulate a challenge of some sort. It's kinda obvious that the game cheats with min max stats allowed and such, so if i want to make a paladin i should roll 17 CHA myself first then proceed to create it.

So i actually took my d6 dices and happily rolled. Yeah well when i finally finished with the rolls i wasn't so happy but that is not important that much now :D

So i kinda need help with what type of characters would be the best option for the stats i've got

Character 1 : Strength 8
Dex 7
Int 13
wis 6
cha 9

Character 2 Str: 13
Dex 12
Con 6
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 11

Character 3 Str 9
Dex 13
Con 12
Int 16
Wis 4
Cha 7

Character 4 Str 6
Dex 11
Con 7
Int 8
wis 11
cha 17

Character 5 Str 10
Dex 9
Con 15
Int 6
wis 13
cha 10

Character 6 Str 12
Dex 5
Con 13
int 11
wis 9
cha 12

Thanks in advance for any insight, i have no clue what to make out of this :P

Comments

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Those stats are pretty terrible compared to the ones the game would roll for you... :smile:

Note that the game does not only discard rolls that fail to satisfy the minimum class requirements (like the aforementioned 17 CHA for Paladins) - it also discards rolls where the total is less than 75.
    Your hand-rolled characters, on the other hand, all have much lower totals than that.

So if you really want to play through IWD with them, expect it to be unusually challenging...
    (And not just the combat - for example, inventory management also become quite annoying if all your chars have only low to medium STR.)

As for what class to choose for them, I suppose the "Int 16" one could be a Mage or Fighter/Mage. A Gnome would get +1 INT as a racial bonus, making it 17 INT, which is servicable.

And all of the characters could be Sorcerers, since that's the one class which doesn't really depend on any stat.

I'm not really seeing any good melee builds though... :P
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    con15 definitly goes to the tank.

A normal run of icewind dale shouldn't get too hard though.
    For example, it doesnt really matter if you have strength 8 or 15, both have the same thac0 and damage bonuses (0,0)

Check this list for comparison:
    http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php/Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Prime_Stats
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Most games I played you rolled something like 4d6 discard the lowest. Maybe try that instead?
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2016
    They'll be good Commoners.

Seriously, no DM would enforce those stats. It's a game breaking in a terrible way.

In a AD&D scenario heroes are those who are above the average, and not below it. The average stat for a common person is 10.

Here's how my DM (the best one I ever played with) tells us to roll ours stats: 5d6, discard the two lowest and every roll "1" becomes a "2".

So if you've rolled: 6 + 3 + 1 + 1 + 1 for Wisdom the final score would be 11.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    You could do a slightly modified point-buy method. All stats start at 10, and you have 27 points to distribute among them. You can boost stats at the following rates:

Stat Bonus Point Cost
    +1 1
    +2 2
    +3 3
    +4 4
    +5 5
    +6 7
    +7 9
    +8 12

So you could end up with a stat line like 18,18,13,10,10,10, or 15,15,15,14,14,14. Reduce the base line or number of points if you're trying for lower stats. You basically end up with about a 79-87 total stat points depending on how high you want to push important stats for a class.

Or you could just assign the flat 75 points however you want and end up with mostly OK stats on some particularly illiterate, foolish, and/or ugly folks.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    My first advice to you, @Height00, would be: do not get involved with gambling.

These are complicated stats. It seems all your characters are going to be gimped in some way. Sometimes they barely meet the minimum required for a class' primary stat and then are horribly low for a secondary stat.

But if you're really adamant in trying out a party with those stats, here's what I'd do:

Character 1: Sorcerer.
    Character 2: Cleric. Low on HPs and not many bonus spells but at least he/she can read scrolls.
    Character 3: Fighter/Mage. Have him/her using primarily bows.
    Character 4: Thief. Use him/her as your leader when talking to storekeepers.
    Character 5: Fighter. Use one-handed weapons and shields.
    Character 6: Fighter. Same as above, but different weapons.

Not a lot of variety, but those characters don't meet the requirements for any fancy classes such as Ranger, Bard, Druid, etc. The Sorcerer barely makes the cut because it only requires a 9 on INT and CHA).

Let us know how that game goes. It'll certainly be challenging.