Skip to content

[Android] Console Cursor Issue

oldguyoldguy Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 22
After editing the .ini file successfully I can open the console but the cursor is not present so I can't enter commands.

The cursor flashes for a brief millisecond as the console appears then is gone.

I am playing on a Motorola XOOM and using a USB keyboard to open the console.

I have no issue with the console on BG.EE, it works fine on this game.

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Interesting. I don't think the tablet versions of the game are built to work with an external keyboard (I know the iPad version doesn't work with my Bluetooth keyboard other than for standard OS data entry like Name or saved games).

While I don't know this for a fact, based upon observation I'd say that the programmers had to do something special within the game to get the OS to allow data input from the internal keyboard (and thus the bluetooth keyboard) for the various places you have to type something in (like when you create a character and have to type a name or in the character Journal allowing player text entry).

I would guess the developer console does not accept operating system text input, thus you're getting no cursor when you open it.

That said, if there IS a way to get the console open and text input on a tablet device, I'd be very interested in hearing about it. :)
  • oldguyoldguy Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 22
    @Illydth Thanks for the reply.

I am slightly puzzled as to why there is no working console or external keyboard support on Android IWD:EE when there is on Android BG:EE. Are the games so far apart in coding?

Does the Console work on other versions of the game such as I-pad, Mac or Linux?

I hope if there is a problem, the Devs will look into a fix for this. I only game on my tablet at the moment as spare time is at a minimum and its so easy to just play for half an hour without needing to be at a PC.

The game is running great for me, can't wait for BG2:EE.
  • belsarosbelsaros Member Posts: 9
    no hope for android yet?
    @Dee any new info on this yet?
    bump
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @belsaros‌: There's no new information on this at this point. As far as I know the console is not "intended" to work on tablet computers and specifically for iPad the functionality has never worked.

There could always be a "fix" in BG:EE that allows external keyboard support, in which case I would expect that will get merged in with IWD:EE as it's patch cycle comes around at some point in the future.

Until that point, however, I don't think the inability to access either the console or an external BT Keyboard is considered a "bug" with the application.

At best, it's a "Feature" in BG:EE that might make it's way to the rest of the games with updates.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    As far as I know external keyboards are already supported for Android. If the console doesn't work in IWD:EE but do so in BG:EE this should be easy to fix.
    @Illydth‌ thanks for the reply :)
    exact same problem with BG2EE as well. console comes up, but I can't type in it. oddly I did manage to type in it once, but then I switched to another app to look something up, and have not been able to type into the console again. very vexing...
  • GrombagGrombag Member Posts: 16
    I don't have IWD:EE, but I do have BG2:EE. I had in my head that you needed to push Control+Space for the console to pop up, which is also stated into this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8317/general-bgee-customization/p1
    But appeantly it is Control+Enter in BG2:EE, as stated in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36460/android-clua-console
    With Control+Enter I can type as usual.

I had the same problem. The C: shortcut mentioned in the first thread doesn't work either. I still need to type the entire CLUAConsole: part of the commands. Could be the problem for IWD:EE as well.
  • NukefaceNukeface Member Posts: 91
    I'm having the text-box-interruption issue in IWD:EE as well. This seems independent of BG:EE and BG2:EE; no issues with either of those.

I'm using the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2013) with a bluetooth keyboard. Oddly if I tap the box rapidly with the stylus and hold down a key then it will register a keystroke eventually but this isn't enough to try and test out any commands.

Not a big deal but Story Mode just isn't fast enough today!
  • Heavy_NutzHeavy_Nutz Member Posts: 1
    I'm using a Note Pro 12.2 and a Logitech case with built in Bluetooth keyboard running version 1.4 of IWD:EE. The console appears and so does the same problem with the cursor.
    My workaround is to copy your text you want to enter to clipboard, hold ctrl & v, and tap the console until the text appears, then hold enter and tap again till it goes in. It's clumsy, unreliable and not ideal, but it works sometimes.
  • Hunter12Hunter12 Member Posts: 5
    That's great, you ate atleast able to open the console or use cheat, but I am unable to get it in iwd:we, the most annoying thing is it contains a baldur.ini, and any changes to it had not been able to produce the cheats, but the keyboard works fine. Can someone post their iwd:we config file or can someone take a look at mine.
  • ToshinRaizenToshinRaizen Member Posts: 1
    oldguy said:

After editing the .ini file successfully I can open the console but the cursor is not present so I can't enter commands.

The cursor flashes for a brief millisecond as the console appears then is gone.

I am playing on a Motorola XOOM and using a USB keyboard to open the console.

I have no issue with the console on BG.EE, it works fine on this game.

Not sure if you, or anybody, that has had this problem still cares. But, I spent an entire weekend trying to get the console to work properly on all three EE games, so I figure I may as well leave this here.

First off, to get this to work, we'll need to download another app. Hacker's Keyboard to be exact, don't worry it's free. I initially tried this out because it had a CTRL key and the option to bring up the keyboard when it wasn't specifically prompted by the phone/tablet, and I had no access to either a bluetooth keyboard or the USB keyboard/OTG adapter combo. As a side note, those of you trying to use Hacker's Keyboard to get either of the three games console to appear, just stop. It's not a problem with the .ini file, it's not a problem with any of the options for Hacker's Keyboard, it just wont work. The first wasted day of my weekend can attest to that, if days of the week had cognitive ability and could attest to...well, anything.

Second thing we need to do is mess with some options. Firstly, in the options for Hacker's Keyboard, we'll want to change two things. First is changing the theme to "Transparent", Second is enabling persistent notification. Theme settings are the 6th option down from the top, 5th option down from there. Persistent notification is the last option under "Input Mode Settings" which is the 6th group from the top. We will also want to go into IWD:EE and uncheck "Scale User Interface" under the graphics options.

So to double check a few things, we have:
    1. Our external Keyboard set up and responding
    2. Our .ini file correctly modified
    3. Hacker's Keyboard downloaded/installed with Transparent theme and Persistent Notification on
    4. IWD:EE running with Scale User Interface unchecked

With all that set up correctly the console can be activated (and typed in!) with just two easy steps.
    1. With IWD:EE running and in-game, bring up the Hacker's Keyboard
    2. On the External Keyboard, Press CTRL+ENTER

If all is done correctly, the bottom of the IWD:EE screen should snap to the top of Hacker's Keyboard. With that bloody elusive cursor flashing in all it's glory. And you should be able to use either your external keyboard, or Hacker's Keyboard itself to enter the actual commands.

Hope this helped.