Skip to content

BG2EE white screen, game won't launch

I just got Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition from Steam and when I try to launch it I just get a black full screen background with a white rectangle in the middle and that's it. I tried waiting for more than 5 minutes and there's no change. The game won't close and the game screen is always on top of any other so I can't even use Task Manager to shut it off and I have to reboot the computer.

I tried to run the game as admin and in compatibility mode (XP(sp3) & win7) , disabling DEP for it, reinstalling the game and various other things suggested on forums, but nothing seems to help.

I got Windows 10
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3
GTX 970 Gaming
and lotsa frustration

Help,plz.

Comments

• KeovarKeovar Member Posts: 7
    I have a similar issue with BGEE (haven't tried BG2EE or IWDEE yet, but if the first one is screwed up, that kills the other two for me as well). I also got them on Steam, and have Windows 10. My display adapter in Device Manager says it's an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870, but all of the 'white screen' fixes I have seen are for NVidia. Maybe the issue is Windows 10, but unfortunately I'm past the rollback period and will have to format & reinstall everything to see if this works in Win7. May just be easier to get Steam to refund them.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hi @goosnargh
    Check your graphics driver is up to date (something like version 361.75?), and with the game closed try removing the baldur.ini from your documents/baldur's gate II - Enhanced Edition folder. Then start the game up again, it should create a new ini file.

If this doesn't work, please advise if you have any mods installed.
    Thanks
    JuliusBorisov
  • goosnarghgoosnargh Member Posts: 3
    got latest drivers, no mods. The startup never proceeds as far as to create an .ini file.
  • goosnarghgoosnargh Member Posts: 3
    heyo, I managed to create a crash dump file, can I send it somewhere?