Skip to content

So where's 1.4?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421

It's been 14 months since the 1.3 patch. What have you devs been doing? Do you think that touting some non-canon Siege of Dragonspear is going to make me look past the fact this game still has 200 known bugs, some of which are game-breaking and some from the original 2000 release?

I'm really pissed off. This "when it's ready" bullshit isn't really going to fly. You have charged us for the game and it hasn't seen an update for over a year. This is unacceptable by any standard. Get a grip.

Siege of Dragonspear is canon. Get a grip.
    Same with Neera and the rest of the NPCs. They were featured in a Wizards of the Coast official comic.

SoD brings money. People need money to update the game. They don't work for free.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    Archaos said:

Siege of Dragonspear is canon.

Actually, I think only books are canon. Unfortunately.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I would like to mention that not many companies continue to support games after 2 years from their release. So it's a bit unjust to demand updates. And yet, Beamdog is working on patches and won't stop even after the next one in terms of patching BGEE and BG2EE.

@TrentOster said: "we hear all the requests. I for one, lurk a lot more than I post on the forums. We hit a patch of large-scale code fixes which really limited our ability to update the games, as such they've languished for a bit. With Apple's requirement of 64 bit support in order to ship on iOS and the UI re-write, we've broken almost every part of the game and we needed to pay down the technical debt and move the engine forward. Oh, all that while attempting to build a huge expansion. We're nearing the end of the technical debt and we're really hoping to do more frequent, smaller updates to the games in the future."

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/707153#Comment_707153
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    From where I sit, it is barely 12 months, not 14 (update released Feb 11th, 2015), and the game is not in the broken state that is was while waiting for that release - where saved games were at risk of corruption (among other things). As Bengoshi quotes Trent above, the delay in the next patch is not a lack of concern, but a necessary step back to do things right. IM(NS)HO, the game is in a good enough state (not perfect, but good enough) that if no further patches were forthcoming, we are still in a good position, and better than we were before the first EE launched.

That said, Beamdog do seem committed to released not just the next patch, but more to follow. That is good to hear, especially as a rewrite of the engine on the scale suggested above is likely to turn up a fair few new bugs in addition to the old ones it stomps. I really am happy that they are taking a mature "when it is ready" approach to testing and releasing that work, rather than pushing out something broken early to be seen to be doing something, anything, just spin up that patch count!
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

It's been 14 months since the 1.3 patch. What have you devs been doing? Do you think that touting some non-canon Siege of Dragonspear is going to make me look past the fact this game still has 200 known bugs, some of which are game-breaking and some from the original 2000 release?

I'm really pissed off. This "when it's ready" bullshit isn't really going to fly. You have charged us for the game and it hasn't seen an update for over a year. This is unacceptable by any standard. Get a grip.

I paid $15 for a pizza back in 2012, and they only sent me three more slices over the years, while I never paid them another penny. Where's my fourth slice and new flavour of pizza coming out?!

I'm mildly irritated. This "entitled child" tripe is completely unacceptable. You paid a pittance for a game you've clearly enjoyed multiple times, and you're whining that your free content update with new spells and items, all of which will probably end up in BGII, isn't here already?

Grow up, drop the attitude, and if you're upset by the bugs either help out by reporting them or fix them yourself, you insufferable little troll.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Frankly, BG community has been very helpful and active and many players have offered many overwrites to work around some of the more annoying bugs. I love this community ^^.
    Beamdog on the other hand needs to feed many mouths, and people think better with a full stomach ^^.
    It is easier to build new engines than to attempt to migrate old engines into new bodies (it applies both to software and hardware ^^).
    To me, as long as the game don't crash or loop, I literally don't classify it as a "bug" that is worth mentioning in the bug report. I have a theory, some old BG2 "bugs" might have been intentional for players to exploit, which is why I bought a copy of the old BG series (I threwaway my early one during spring cleaning some years back X_X) and re-live some of the old bugs with from a different perspective ( I used to be terribly annoyed about them back in 2000 too).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Just a reminder that even if you disagree with someone's position, there's never an acceptable reason to throw insults at people. Be mindful of the site rules, and Be Excellent To Each Other.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jyskjysk Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2016
    bengoshi said:

I would like to mention that not many companies continue to support games after 2 years from their release. So it's a bit unjust to demand updates. And yet, Beamdog is working on patches and won't stop even after the next one in terms of patching BGEE and BG2EE.

Its definitly just to ask for updates. It is 3 years after release and the game still does not contain content it was advertised with. I am talking about the German translation which is not properly implemented. If you encounter EE content in the Game half of the strings are actually in English which makes playing the game in German a joke and unenjoyable. I am not talking about audio, I am talking about texts. It was advertised to be in German on the store page and right now this product cannot deliver this feature for which I paid for. Its not even on the buglist here...

I am a bit salty, because I had to stop my playthrough for this now. :(
    Pantalion said:

I paid $15 for a pizza back in 2012, and they only sent me three more slices over the years, while I never paid them another penny. Where's my fourth slice and new flavour of pizza coming out?!

I'm mildly irritated. This "entitled child" tripe is completely unacceptable. You paid a pittance for a game you've clearly enjoyed multiple times, and you're whining that your free content update with new spells and items, all of which will probably end up in BGII, isn't here already?

Grow up, drop the attitude, and if you're upset by the bugs either help out by reporting them or fix them yourself, you insufferable little troll.
    Well in my case I spend 20 Euro and they only sent me about half of the Pizza (because the game didnt contained any translations at all). In the following 3 years they finally sent another quarter and now I am still missing one quarter. But I guess I am just another one of those "entitled childs", lol.
    Dee said:

Just a reminder that even if you disagree with someone's position, there's never an acceptable reason to throw insults at people. Be mindful of the site rules, and Be Excellent To Each Other.

Of course, I assume insulting the dev team is similarly unacceptable?

That's a pretty shitty juxtaposition.

I couldn't really give a fuck about new spells or items. I just expect the huge list of bugs to be mitigated. Paying for a game doesn't just buy me the release version. It involves post-purchase support ie. receiving fixes for bugs affecting gameplay. Fixing bugs does not equal a free content update.

Yeah, I was the first one to report bug 11138 over a year ago. Nothing's been done. So there's that.

Is it? You paid for a product. That product is a game, an enormous, hugely replayable game. It promised fixes, it promised new content, and by and large it delivered. You received your product. Periodically, because your product is information based, you receive free improvements to that product because the developer of that game is going above and beyond to improve their product, and chooses to make those improvements available to you.

If you paid for a car, would you expect free upgrades to that car because they fixed a problem with the alternator? If you paid for a book, would you expect periodic visits by the author carrying a bottle of Tipp-ex? Allow me to disabuse you. Beamdog doesn't owe you bug fixes any more than Black Isle Studios does. You knew exactly what was present in the game, you knew exactly what was added, you paid for it, end of contract. Paying $20 does not buy you a games development company, you've paid less than a cent for each man hour that has gone into the Baldur's Gate series, exactly what you are owed is the game you have received.

So congratulations, you found a single, minor, non-gamebreaking, bug and quoted a "huge" list primarily dominated by other, similarly inconsequential bugs. Want to know how many game breaking bugs there still are in Morrowind? Or any large, open-ended RPG with thousands of scripts, variables and other complicating factors to deal with?

If you want to report bugs, go for it, I've reported ten new bugs in the last month in the hopes that this will help improve the game.

If you want to fix the bugs, go for it, you'll be among great company with some exceptionally talented people in the modding community, and I'm sure many of them will be happy to help you get started.

Don't, however, whine about not getting your free stuff quickly enough for your tastes, it's distasteful.

@jysk - There is a clear difference between not receiving what was advertised and not being satisfied with what you have. I'm peripherally aware of the translation issue, and I have a lot more sympathy for your concerns than I do the topic of this thread, which is a complaint about the "gamebreaking" 'Dual Classing from Cleric to Ranger causes the game to crash' bug still not being fixed.
    @jysk
    About translations: I don't believe localization was ever part of the marketing for BGII:EE in the same way that it was for BG:EE. I'm not in charge of maintaining our translations, though, so I'll have to give the default response here, that you can find information about localizations in...hang on, let me find the link...

Here it is: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/39082/localization-status-and-volunteering#latest
    edited February 2016
    Dee said:

@jysk
    About translations: I don't believe localization was ever part of the marketing for BGII:EE in the same way that it was for BG:EE. I'm not in charge of maintaining our translations, though, so I'll have to give the default response here, that you can find information about localizations in...hang on, let me find the link...

Here it is: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/39082/localization-status-and-volunteering#latest

Well I dont know about your marketing, but the steam store is pretty clear:

http://i.imgur.com/ouHOQvm.jpg

German texts are supposed to be in the game. They were not in the game upon release. Beamdog then added the original texts and appearently /some/ of the volunteered translated EE texts. But of now half of the EE texts are still missing.

Or does this looks German to you? :P

http://imgur.com/a/yPPAa
    edited February 2016
    jysk said:

Dee said:

@jysk

Well I dont know about your marketing, but the steam store is pretty clear:

http://i.imgur.com/ouHOQvm.jpg

German texts are supposed to be in the game. They were not in the game upon release. Beamdog then added the original texts and appearently /some/ of the volunteered translated EE texts. But of now half of the EE texts are still missing.

Or does this looks German to you? :P

http://imgur.com/a/yPPAa
    Under threat of being a rules lawyer about this, the Steam page image you have provided states that the interface is in German, that the subtitles are not, and that the audio is not. The English, in the provided screenshot, is a subtitle, the interface, however, based on the "Weiter..." button, is indeed in German.

Checking the BG:EE page on Steam, however, shows interface, full audio and subtitles for the German.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    The same issue exists with the French translation. When I first played the enhanced edition a few years ago, I was mad because of the lack of these translations as the voices were so good I thought.

Then I went on YouTube to listen to the good old vanilla version ...

I regret nothing.
    edited February 2016
    Pantalion said:

Under threat of being a rules lawyer about this, the Steam page image you have provided states that the interface is in German, that the subtitles are not, and that the audio is not. The English, in the provided screenshot, is a subtitle, the interface, however, based on the "Weiter..." button, is indeed in German.

Checking the BG:EE page on Steam, however, shows interface, full audio and subtitles for the German.

Well according to your logic Bg2 EE wouldnt have English texts too, because there is no mark under "English" for "subtitles" too. ;) "Subtitles" is checked for no language, not even English - it is pretty clear that "interface" is the indicator for the texts language. Also in a game driven by textual dialogue choices I would count the dialogue texts definitly into the "interface"; subtitles is something movies have.
    Dee said:

That...Actually, that looks like a bug. We're looking into the problem, but this should be fixed in the next update.

Well I asked in the German forum here about this issue too, and they said that all texts are already translated and sent to Beamdog. Someone even checked the particular strings I showed in those screenshots and confirmed they have been translated and sent to Beamdog. It seems that those strings are just not implemented. ;)
    Oh well, all in all, if anyone reads mandarin over here, take a look at the mandarin section (chinese 中文)
    Last post was dated 2014 ... X_X but the spirit some of the gamers exhibited is admirable ^^.
    In a game like BG which requires heavy reading, those players from the mainland actually played the game and some of them force themselves to learn some English for the game sake ^^.

I admire gamers' spirit worldwide, I remember myself I played some japanese games without understanding a word of what was in it ^^ (trial and error ^^). RELAX guys have fun replaying BGEE/BG2EE with different approach ... Games are for relaxation ... so try not to get annoyed over them ^^
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Oh dear ... it's feeling a little warm in here ....
    Can someone turn on the "Air-con" a little? X_X
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Pantalion said:

It's been 14 months since the 1.3 patch. What have you devs been doing? I'm really pissed off.

This "entitled child" tripe is completely unacceptable. Grow up, drop the attitude
    Hear, hear. Yadda yadda, something about stupid self-centered millennials with no sense of perspective...
    In my day, games were in Assembly language, and we liked it that way.

Spoiled kids with their human readable languages.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2016
    Well, I'm brazilian. So I speak portuguese and could help translate. But I won't.

For two main reasons:

1) TSR did a shitty job translating the books from english to portuguese and it sort of traumatized me. The game was designed in english, some jokes only work in english and a lot of terms sounds awful when translated.

2) Some have notice, but I commit a lot of heresies against the grammar. It's because I'm a self-learned english speaker. And guess why I've decided to learn english all by myself? Exactly, to play Baldur's Gate back in 2000.

If there was someone to translate back there I probably would never speak or read anything in english. Probably won't have the nice job I have right now (I work for the Brazil Navy, as a Staff Officer and currently I'm one of the responsible in putting Brazil Navy in touch with UN to organize the campaigns in Haiti and Lebanon).

And that's my standard answer for when someone tell me "what do you think will be of your life if you keep playing video-games?" and, for Christ's sake, no one will ever tell this to my son.

Now, for the author of this discussion:

Man up, boy. Stop being a pussy and learn how to talk to people. For us it's a game, for Beamdog staff it's their jobs, so a little respect is in order. Ask politely and people will answer, act like an ass and they will (at least I will) shit on your head. If you lack the etiquette to live in society delete your forum account and learn some coding to fix it by yourself. Or die alone in some cave.

For the moderators staff I apologize for any eventual misbehavior in this post. Feel free to scold me if necessary.

Respectfully

Lieutenant Araujo
    If you have to apologize for what your post says, you're probably better off not saying it...

This thread has broken the "Be Excellent To Each Other" rule a few too many times, so I'm going to close it, primarily so that the original poster doesn't get scared away from the community by everyone jumping down their throat.

Seriously, folks, cool it.

Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.