- the first 5-6 Drizzt books
- the first two books in the Elminster series
- War of the Spider queen
- Return of the Archwizards
- The Sundering
- 2 of the Brimstone Angels series
- The Haunted Lands trilogy
- The Last Mythal but never finished Final Gate

Also is Dragonlance series something to recommend reading? I've heard it got lots of magic and Raistlin seems awesome.

Write what you like to read or if you want to discuss the books that I have already read

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    I've only read the first Dragonlance book but can totally recommend it~

Also, I just got The Haunted Lands trilogy under the statement it has a
    Necromancer Bard
    . Is this true, without spoilers?
    JonelethIrenicus
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Vallmyr said:

I've only read the first Dragonlance book but can totally recommend it~

Also, I just got The Haunted Lands trilogy under the statement it has a

Necromancer Bard
    . Is this true, without spoilers?
    Thanks, I will start buying the first books.

Yeah it's true and he is awesome! no more spoilers ;)
    Vallmyr
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I can second that the Dragonlance books (trilogy 1 and 2) are totally worth the read. They are among my all time favorites. I am sure that you know that isn't Forgotten Realms though, right? It is it's own world.

If you liked the Drizzt books, have you tried the other R A Salvatore books? The Cleric Quintet is very good as well.

I personally liked the first Erevis Cale trilogy. I am not saying it was great or anything, but it was entertaining. I never got into the second series so take that for what it is worth.

Elaine Cunningham wrote some good books as well and may be worth checking out.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited February 2016
    Totally, read Dragonlance... actually, skip Forgotten Realms altogether and just read Dragonlance... forever.

Though it should be noted that Dragonlance is (from what I've heard) a lower level setting with slightly more tame magic. The gods are pretty active though, and there are more than a couple dragons running around.
    the_spyderJonelethIrenicus
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    So it has to be said, there is a Cartoon "Movie" adaptation of the Dragonlance novels. DO NOT watch it. Well, Okay watch it if you must but do not think that it in any way conveys the greatness that is the Book series.

And I agree with @SethDavis in that there is actually a whole extended universe of novels within the Dragonlance world and not just the Weis and Hickman novels. There's a lot worth reading in there and I recommend them. Of course the best of those are always the Weis and Hickman novels, but some of the others are worth enjoying.

And if you are interested, one of the Dragonlance characters is a Death Knight named Lord Soth. I mention this because he actually makes it into one of the Ravenloft books and is a pretty cool read. Just saying.
    SethDavis
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    The Movie adaptation is terrible but I absolutely loved it. XD
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Elaine Cunningham's Songs & Swords series and Starlight & Shadows trilogy.
    JonelethIrenicus
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157

I can second that the Dragonlance books (trilogy 1 and 2) are totally worth the read. They are among my all time favorites. I am sure that you know that isn't Forgotten Realms though, right? It is it's own world.

If you liked the Drizzt books, have you tried the other R A Salvatore books? The Cleric Quintet is very good as well.

I personally liked the first Erevis Cale trilogy. I am not saying it was great or anything, but it was entertaining. I never got into the second series so take that for what it is worth.

Elaine Cunningham wrote some good books as well and may be worth checking out.

Yeah I know its not FR but as long there is magic, intresting characters and a good story then I am good.

Hmm I think I saw something about the Cleric Quintet. Gonna follow that up, thank!
    SethDavis said:

Totally, read Dragonlance... actually, skip Forgotten Realms altogether and just read Dragonlance... forever.

Though it should be noted that Dragonlance is (from what I've heard) a lower level setting with slightly more tame magic. The gods are pretty active though, and there are more than a couple dragons running around.

The issue is that there is so many Dragonlance books.. and everybody got opinions on which book to start with.. got any tips?

Elaine Cunningham's Songs & Swords series and Starlight & Shadows trilogy.

Thanks!

If there is other books(no need to be FR) that involves magic then shout out.

So what do you guys think of the Sundering series?
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812

The issue is that there is so many Dragonlance books.. and everybody got opinions on which book to start with.. got any tips?

Really? I thought there were scads more FR books, they always seem to have a bigger section of the store than Dragonlance.

The normal path is really following the companions. This site gives a pretty good reading order (http://www.dlnexus.com/products/reading.aspx) though I might suggest that after you finish the second trilogy you maybe take a break from the main timeline and read some of the "what happened before all this" books like the Meetings series.

The best bit is that while the main timeline is pretty much all world changing events, there are plenty of books between them that flesh out the period. So, if you really like the Chaos War section, you can find more books set around then and stay a while.
    JonelethIrenicus