Skip to content

Using Near Infinity

LoreLore Member Posts: 114
I have been trying to Add backstab to a normal class ranger using near inifinity, i have changed an effect ( dagger prfoficiency ) to be backstab and copied the whole effect page to be similar to a stalker backstab effect but it still does not show up on my normal ranger. Is there anyone good with near Infinity that can tell me exactly how i can successfully add 2 x backstab on my normal class ranger ? as i cannot get it working.

Many thanks

( i know its cheating but it adds a bit of spice to the normal ranger class :) )
Also i have tried using the EEkeeper but it does not seem to be possible to add backstab with that.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    BACKSTAB.2da is the file you want to edit. Copy the row starting with STALKER, and change "STALKER" to "RANGER". Should be good to go.
    Metalloman
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    edited February 2016
    You mean like this ?

2DA V1.0
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    THIEF 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4
    SHADOWDANCER 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 3 3
    ASSASIN 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4 4
    BOUNTY_HUNTER 1 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 3 4 4
    STALKER 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3
    RANGER 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 3

(Lots more numbers after this of course ) It does not seem to give my Ranger backstab tho. what am i doing wrong ?

Starting a new Ranger does not seem to give the bonus Either . It is supposedto give all existing rangers backstab like a stalker ?
    Post edited by Lore on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited February 2016
    It should work. Make sure that you're using a weapon that is suitable for backstabs (i.e. any weapon a single class thief can use) or it won't work.
    Should it show up on my character sheet ? i tried backstabbing someone with a sword but it just said did normal damage not backstabbing. Its the actual backstab.2da file in editing not from a savegame but the actual game itself. Baldurs gate enhanced edition. Should it matter that i made an extra line under stalker or should i change the name of stalker to Ranger and not add an extra line.

Its very strange it will not work.
    The backstab multiplier doesn't appear to show up in the character record, but you should see the line "Backstab Double Damage" or similar in the console when doing a successful backstab attack.

The position of the line in the 2DA shouldn't matter. Afaik, 'RANGER' must be written in all caps though. It also shouldn't matter whether to start a new game or use a saved game.
    Metalloman
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Things to check:

1. What is the version number for the game you're playing (It'll be on the screen when you first start up the application)
    2. Are you definitely 100% sure that you're using an ordinary Ranger, not one of the Ranger kits like Archer
    3. Do you see a line on the Record screen that says "Backstab: x2"
    4. What weapon is your character attacking with
    Metalloman
    1: latest version 1.3.2053
    2: Yes normal ranger no kit.
    3: nothing on the record i checked on a stalker it should be right underneath my favored enemy.
    4: i tried longsword and shortsword and no message coming up backstab x2 or similar.

I edited as above writing ranger in caps. could it be some mods preventing it from working ?
    Did you save the modified BACKSTAB.2DA into the game's override folder? You can inspect the file with any text editor.

Also make sure to not have another copy of this file in the game's home directory (e.g. in "C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\override" for BGEE on Windows) nor in "lang\xx_YY\override". Both folders have a higher priority.

If you're running mods then you should double check that your weapon is actually usable by a single class thief.
    Metalloman
    edited February 2016
    yes its located in G:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\override and there i no other backstab.2da files in the game directory. Also no backstab.2da in my dokuments folder. And imoen can use the same shortsword so it should be usable for theives.

only thing i can think of it a mod somehow interfering with the 2da file. When i start a stalker he has x3 backstab where the 2da file tells me he should have 2, so maybe its a mod messing up the backstab ?
    Reinstalled the game and now even tho its not on the record page i get double backstab. Guess it was a mod that was interfering . Thanks for all the help :)
    Metallomanmashedtaters