Skip to content

Monks, yay or nay?

I've made several parties in IwD:EE now but it has never really crossed my mind to add a monk in to the mix. I loved them back in bg2 but there you already start pretty strong and don't have to drag them up from level 1.

From what I've gathered during my runs through this game there are only two monk specific items in the game which seems rather dull. I guess I'm just seeing the monk as a tank that can't use any of the nice armors and weapons in the game.

If you've played through the game with a monk, please add you opinions

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I'm doing one now. A sun soul. While I am only in the temple of the forgotten god, he is doing...alright. The ability to drop an AoE anti-undead fire spread is quite nice. He's not a front line fighter, but luckily his fists can reach from the back rank. So overall...not the best. Not the worst. I wouldn't use him when powergaming, but for a themed party (ex: my holy themed party) he's good enough.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think what im going to do because of this thread is actually play and IWD game with a monk, while im out of town I think I will use my down time to play a monk run, from as far as I remember there was only the one monk item but once a monk hits level 9 he gets +2 fisties and some attacks per round and that can happen pretty quick, plus they can use scimitars and katanas if need be in the meantime
  • ElvenbladeElvenblade Member Posts: 21
    "The flaming fists of Lin Mei"
    +2 thac0 with fists
    25% chance of 1d2 fire damage
    Burning hands 1/day

"Sarutobi's Stone Breakers"
    +1 strength
    +2 damage with fists
    +2d6 damage on a crit with fists

First one is in Dragon's Eye, the other one is sold in Lonelywood if I'm not mistaken.

"The flaming fists of Lin Mei"
    +2 thac0 with fists
    25% chance of 1d2 fire damage
    Burning hands 1/day

"Sarutobi's Stone Breakers"
    +1 strength
    +2 damage with fists
    +2d6 damage on a crit with fists

First one is in Dragon's Eye, the other one is sold in Lonelywood if I'm not mistaken.

Actually quite good spacing. Come dragon's eye is when everyone else is starting to get +2 weapons. So the +2 Thaco comes in handy. The rest is just nice icing for the cake.

HoW comes around and your party should all be having +3/4 weapons. So the monk gets +2 to hit and +4 damage from the strength (18-19) and another +2 from the gloves. This makes for +2 Thaco and +6 damage, along with the extra on critical means that he has an equivalent to a +4 weapon as well.

All in all it should hopefully make for a good time with one monk in your party.
    Just a small update:

Lvl 2 of Dragon's Eye

Undead Hunter lvl 6: 132 kills
    Cavalier lvl 6: 105 kills
    Berserker lvl 3/Cleric 6: 159 kills
    Sun Soul Monk lvl 7: 123 kills
    Swash 5/Fighter 6: 94 kills
    Skald lvl 7: 0 kills

So as you can see, the monk can indeed hold his own. And this is before he gets any monk only gear, or reaches the magical lvl 9 (that's when the fists upgrade to +1 weapons and do 2-13 damage)

• PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    edited March 2016
    @Grum how has the monk held up thus far? I liked monks back in vanilla BG2, but I haven't played one in years. Also is yours kitted?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Pteran said:

@Grum how has the monk held up thus far? I liked monks back in vanilla BG2, but I haven't played one in years. Also is yours kitted?

It says that it's kitted.

Has the sun soul abilities helped get some kills?
    I'm in lower Dorn's Deep. The sun soul monk has 260 kills.

Cavalier: 328
    Undead Hunter: 308
    Berserker(3)/Cleric: 434
    Swash(5)/Fighter: 338
    Skald: 18

So the monk is trailing in kills. However, he gets better as his levels get up, so I think that he has been catching up.

He is most useful for running around engaged enemies and attacking their rear. Such as archers and mages. I find that the sun soul is best for this job. His flames can reliably interrupt spells and hurt an area of enemies.

He isn't a front line fighter. He isn't a tank. He isn't ranged. To make him work best you need to keep him in the back initially so he doesn't get targeted and then use his speed to get him where he needs to be.

So overall he has worked out fairly well. Nothing game breaking. Nothing game ruining. I like the sun soul for his useful abilities, which make him the best at this particular task.
    @Wowo sorry I must've glanced right over that. I was reading it while on my way home from work.

@Grum good to hear! I may have to give a Sun Soul Monk a try on my run. I haven't tried either of the two kits, but they certainly do have some interesting abilities.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited March 2016
    Definitely "yay"! Monks get very powerful at higher levels. So powerful that they are borderline broken.

This means: You can beat the game with a Solo Dark Moon Monk in HoF-Mode.

Fun Note 1: Most Enemies are unable to pass your Weapon Immunity.

Fun Note II: Have you ever killed Yxunomei with one Blow? Say hello to Quivering Palm!

If you are interested in more:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/38935/on-the-dark-side-of-the-moon-solo-monk-guide-hof#latest

Have fun! ;o)
    @Harpagornis Thanks for sharing that link! I found it quite informative. I've yet to give the DMM or SSM a whirl, but that made me want to add one in to my party.