Skip to content

What UI do you prefer?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
edited March 2016 in The Road to v2.0
Since it looks like a rather controversial theme, let's try to focus only on the UI, not other traits/enhancements/fixes/bugs of different BG versions.

One simple question - Which of the UI-s do you personally find to be better for you?

Maybe in the answers you could reflect on the reasons for this or that choice.
  1. What UI do you prefer?108 votes
    1. The EE UI from the version 1.3
      52.78%
    2. The EE UI from the beta version
      26.85%
    3. The vanilla BG1 UI
        2.78%
    4. The vanilla BG2 UI
      12.96%
    5. I use UI from a mod
        4.63%

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    A summary of the UI changes in the beta: one step forward, two steps back.

There are a few changes from the beta that I do like, such as the pop-out journal and the area map (if it would stop obscuring map notes and having the "highlight traversable terrain" option on by default; who wants to see that cyan color overlaid on the entire area when they first open the map??? How disorienting!).

But then there are the changes to the spellbook, inventory, and record screens. The spellbook icons look more like smears than distinct icons, and there's no arrows to navigate between spell levels now.

In the inventory, the full information breakdown of a particular statistic is hidden behind a tooltip; inventory highlighting is annoying; and dragging inventory items seems to cause the game to run at a slower FPS while the item is picked up, which can make inventory management slower.

In the record screen, everything is now categorized into tabs, and for people like me that prefer reading an information dump because we're crusty veterans that hate change, figuring out what information's gone to which tab is too time-consuming.

Most of the bugs I've encountered are UI-related anyway.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

That being said, I'm rather surprised to see that there isn't an SoD UI option in this poll.

My motivation was that this forum is for the betas for BGEE and BG2EE which are open, while the beta-testing for SoD is not open, and we still don't know how the final UI in SoD will look like, while the existing streams don't provide the clear picture. Another motivation for not including the SoD UI was that the EE UI from the beta version seem to get a lot of thing from the SoD UI, the code of them is similar, so in a way you can vote for the EE UI from the beta version if you like (and can, in your opinion, reflect on it) the SoD UI.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    as said in other threads:

the 1.3 UI had severe flaws in inventory and character screen (dumping too much text in too small boxes is no good UI), the only thing why we don't usually notice that is because we are so used to it.

This was improved UI-design wise in 2.0beta. But 2.0beta yet lacks "fantasy styling" (i intentionally use the terms "design" and "styling" as they are different things). I hope it is coming back until 2.0final.

So i voted for the beta UI, wishing there would have been an option "beta UI, but with improved style" too. I think the results would be more revealing then.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I wasn't even aware the former UI had people contesting it.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    For me it's a pretty close call between the v1.3 and v2.0 beta GUIs. I don't like a lot of the new screen layouts, but I do like a lot of the new improvements. What ultimately made me decide against the v2.0 is the inventory lag, which I find particularly irksome.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    The new UI is a big step in the right direction. For me it takes much less time to find the information that I want and there are no "walls of text"! It could use a bit more styling and some better choices of font color, but the layout is much better.
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    Most of my feelings have been posted already, but the old UI boxes, while informative, included too much information for their size. While the current UI is a bit bare in places, I think the previous overclustering is worse. I don't always need to see complete breakdowns of stats/attributes, so I prefer having a more user-friendly (IMO) method of expanding that information when I do need it.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @cmk24 and @craymond727

What do you guys think of the new inventory screen? Do you ever need to see how your character's damage or AC are calculated, or do you know how to calculate those things already? Is the comparison useful, and do you like seeing the math behind the derived stats (Damage, AC, etc) in tooltips?
  • antimatter3009antimatter3009 Member Posts: 24
    I'm with @BelegCuthalion. I like the new layout and functionality. Though I think there is still plenty of room for improvement, I think it's a step forward from the overflowed text boxes of yore. However, it really needs a shiny coat of fantasy paint applied to it. It's just too bland right now.
    agris said:

@cmk24 and @craymond727

What do you guys think of the new inventory screen? Do you ever need to see how your character's damage or AC are calculated, or do you know how to calculate those things already? Is the comparison useful, and do you like seeing the math behind the derived stats (Damage, AC, etc) in tooltips?

I think the tooltips currently in the new UI are the right way to go. If I need to see something about the breakdown I can mouse over it and see all the information at once, it is spaced out better, and the font size can be set to the highest setting without looking like crap. The old way of displaying the breakdowns looked so cluttered that it made it hard to read (doubly so if the font size was turned up too high).
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66

I wasn't even aware the former UI had people contesting it.

You and me both buddy.
    Which is why it was such a shock and slap in the face the first time I started playing and had my eyes bleed on me when viewing that new inferior looking crappy character sheet for the first time =(
    So unintuitive and harder to find things that were simple and familiar previously.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2016
    I like the journal pop-ups from v2.0. But the rest just seems like a pointless change.

It is nice to see how weapons and armour compare... but not needed as we can do the math in our heads.

Ultimately, like @bengoshi explains... I like the nostalgia of BG and the v1.3 UI kept in line with this.
    cmk24 said:

agris said:

@cmk24 and @craymond727

I think the tooltips currently in the new UI are the right way to go. If I need to see something about the breakdown I can mouse over it and see all the information at once, it is spaced out better, and the font size can be set to the highest setting without looking like crap. The old way of displaying the breakdowns looked so cluttered that it made it hard to read (doubly so if the font size was turned up too high).
    Ah, so you played with a large font size?
    agris said:

cmk24 said:

agris said:

@cmk24 and @craymond727

Ah, so you played with a large font size?
    I play with the font size around 3 or 4. I sit about 4 feet back from my 1920x1080 monitor, setting the font larger means I don't have to lean forward to play the game.
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    edited March 2016
    I think 2.0ui has lots of potentials to be awesome, it is not perfect but I like the changes.

The square boxes are really dull and immersion breaking though. They need more decoration
  • epicrakshasasepicrakshasas Member Posts: 71
    I can deal with the 2.0 beta inventory, but the character sheet is just plain hideous. It removes all the soul and function of the previous character sheets and replaces it with a poorly designed tab version that is far too, dare I say it, consolized for Baldur's Gate.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited March 2016
    New UI is much better , V1.3 put too many texts in the small box , I don't need lots of detailed information all the time , when I need it , move the mouse then show it , it is more reasonable
  • dluxdlux Member Posts: 13
    Vanilla and 1.3 are both fine.

2.0 however isn't anywhere near finished and not aesthetically pleasing. The new journal and character sheet UIs are garbage. The new Inventory UI is ok, but it now has a huge chunk of wasted space, which looks very awkward.

I love you guys and am sorry for the harsh words, but that has to be said.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    The 1.3 UI was nearly perfect, it just needed a few bug fixes. I would be very happy if they could provide an option to use the 1.3 UI with the new patches.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    edited March 2016
    Tough call between 1.3 and the vanilla BG2 UI. I would have gone with vanilla BG1, but that suffers badly from lacking support for any reasonable screen resolution, and the game it was designed for was much simpler than the full-featured ToB party - so my recollections may be a little rose-tinted ;)

I think the 1.3 UI can be bettered, and the 2.0 effort we have seen shows some clear out-the-box thinking on how to clean things up, so I am hoping that 2.0 final will be my eventual answer ;) Certainly not the current beta as it stands though.

[edit] the easy way to bribe me would be to make Cleric/thieves functional in Black Pits 2 ;) Lack of pick lock/disarm trap remains frustrating beyond belief.
    Malban said:

While I really do like most of the change Beamdog makes, and generally appreciate them as stewards of the series, I would greatly prefer any of the options listed over the beta UI.

Aesthetically, the beta UI falls flat from both style perspective and in terms of cohesion; it doesn't fit with the rest of the game. While some of the usability is improved, I think it sacrifices far too much in order to achieve it.

Additionally, the new UI no longer looks nor feels like a character sheet to me. Part of the appeal of the IE games for myself, and I imaigne many others, is that they evokes many of the same feelings and habits as true P&P RPGs. While the old UIs have some clutter, they successfully convey what it feels like to pour over your sheet in excitement, much like a physical character sheet from a tabletop game.

While it is true many of us are accustomed to the old UI and there is an element of nostalgia, I think that is still a valid stance to have; this game is a classic. The old UI may be sub-optimally designed from a UX perspective, but it *feels* good to me. This new UI has the opposite effect for me, it pulls me out of the immersion.

I'm an evolutionary anthropologist who does UX research and design for a major game company in California, for what it's worth. While it's a different type of game, some of the other designers and I play a D&D campaign together and enjoy the Enhanced Editions. When the beta came up in conversation our consensus of the new UI was that is was, in short, "a total bummer". This may not be the most useful piece of feedback, but it was honest and concise.

That said, the work put into the engine is appreciated, as is the ongoing beta process!

Yup yup and yup. Respectful, thoughtful, and most importantly, correct. There are some users who will like _anything_, as such it's important to listen to well articulated criticism like this.
  • kkitanovkkitanov Member Posts: 2
    I honestly like the beta UI, from an utility perspective. Its much easier to navigate once you get to know it.
    One of my favorite features is how if you select a section in the character sheet menu, and switch a character, it will maintain you selection. This enables easy comparisons if you want to look at battle stats/proficiencies.
    Anyway what I have come to learn is that users always have bad first impressions of new user interface design. Its something that needs time to get accustomed to. I remember the huge negative outburst in the League of Legends community whenever they made any significant changes to the UI. Yet, after a few months of refinement and getting used to the changes, all the complaints went away.

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    (Generic nay-sayer rant ahead)

I feel terrible for saying this but 2.0 doesn't really excite me anymore with all these additions that conflict with my muscle memory. I understand it's an attempt to bring more ease-of-use for eventual new crowds and I agree us long-timers are no longer the target audience, but it just ends up doing the opposite when you've been used to bioware's work for a decade. Pre-2.0 reflected very well the meaning of "enhancement", 2.0 appears more like "remastered". It doesn't feel right when I gotta actively spend effort to find where to click when I simply want to load a game or get back to the main menu.

This probably makes me a bad person. I am sorry. Will still buy SoD though.
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2016
    ^ I'd argue that us old timers are indeed the target audience for something like this, and any other isometric cRPG these days really. At least that's been my experience when conversing with other gamers of different age brackets and generations.

"Oh recently I've enjoyed Wasteland 2, Pillars, Divinity Original Sin, Dead State, obviously still a fan of the Baldur's Gate games and am looking forward to DragonSpear and Torment: Tides of Numenera this year"

"Never heard of them, but I just got Fallout 4 on my Ps4, best RPG ever!!"

>Resists urge to slap that youth across the head and launch into a tirade about how it isn't even an RPG..

:neutral:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'd note one more thing: there're a lot of bug and feature reports about the UI and things that are connected to it, so the team now is very busy with fixing them. Also, there're a lot of views expressed about how to make the new UI better. Lot's and lot's of work to analyze all the opinions and suggestions.

If the UI in the EEs stayed as it was in the 1.3 version, all this time and work could be spent on something else, other than the UI.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

You don't design a great UI by committee

I couldn't agree more with that.

The only great thing a design by committee achieves is a great aneurysm on the poor designer who's in charge of executing it.