Skip to content

How Shadow Step Killed my entire party(Spoiler)

So I was playing Icewind Dale Enhance Edition with a pretty swell party. TN Fighter/Druid, LG Undead Hunter, CE Barbarian, CG Sorceress, NE Icepriestess of Auril, and CN Shadowdancer. I was doing well cleared out majority of vale and was into the first floor of the main tomb into the left upper wing with the skeleton trap with the sleep spell. So my thief is scouting ahead and I set off the trap my thief and her quick thinking transported to the shadow realm and quickly walked back to the party with disaterious results as quickly as she stepped in into the actual reality the spell hit putting the entire party to sleep which allowed the skeletons to easily pick us off one by one. It's was not fun...but something that had to be shared on here.

So has a shadowdancer ever gotten your party killed before?

Comments

• brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Interesting as wondering the downside of using a shadowdancer, would go swashy or assassin instead and avoid those situations altogether
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I wanted to try out something new. But I was really surprise when the spell went through the wall. Though a little bit later she pulled off escaping from a different set of skeletons when she set off a trap.
  • AerichAerich Member Posts: 159
    Interesting. That's a very funny occurrence that happened here.

Please keep us updated on how the shadowdancer does. I'm thinking of playing one in my next party (probably dc to mage), but I've heard there's downsides in terms of autopathing etc respecting the hide in plain sight ability.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I also thought it felt perfect for her chaotic neutral alignment too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Artix00Artix00 Member Posts: 11
    I think that is actually your fault since you walked back to the party XDDD You should've used your tankiest character you have to set off that trap. P.S I dont think that trap can be disarmed...like ever...
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

I hate that trap. It puts elves to sleep even though they're resistant to sleep effects.

Best thing is probably to trip it with a thief, and chug a potion of invisibility before the magic projectile hits you.

That's my method when soloing IWD.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    On my current run, I sent my thief and berserker forward. The thief tripped the trap, then the zerk raged when the projectile appeared. Nothing got close enough to hurt the thief.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    My last no-reload of BG2 was with a Shadowdancer->Cleric. I picked it specifically because I wanted my main character to have an escape option at all times in the form of Hide in Plain Sight. She was the one character that enemies could never pin down.

I didn't use Shadowstep a single time during the whole run. I only ever used Hide in Plain Sight.