Skip to content

Share your BG inspired IWD parties

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hi, I've started yet another IWD run using the canon BG party, imagining an alternate universe where Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, Dynaheir/Aerie, Imoen, and I are having our adventures together in that world instead of the BG world.

Here's a party portrait:

Here's Jaheira, our party leader:

Here's Khalid, her trusty husband. I've made him an archer, and I think I'll Keeper him to the same for my eventual BG:EE 2.0/SoD run:

BTW, who should replace Khalid in BG2? I'm thinking either Anomen or Keldorn. I almost put a version of Anomen in his slot for this IWD:EE run.

Here's Minsc. I've made him a berserker, and I think I'll Keeper him to the same in my future BG runs. Does anyone know a mod to make this change more convenient? Minsc's dialogues, story, and character all imply that he is a berserker, not a ranger, and I think his berserk should be actually useful, not that stupid thing where he goes out of control and attacks his friends:

Here's our favorite little sister, Imoen. I've made her a thief with the same potential to dual class to mage later, although I'm not to sure I'll actually do it, as I don't want to be without a thief for any length of time. I actually like single class thieves in this game, because I want points, points, points, and I want them *now*:

Here's Aerie. I needed a cleric-mage, so I took her instead of some version of Dynaheir. I'm thinking of Keepering the actual Dynaheir in BG into a cleric-mage, so that Aerie becomes a more natural replacement for her in BG2:

Here's me, the "Charname" for this run. I'm going skald. I'm toying with all kinds of ideas for myself in my eventual BG:EE 2.0/SoD run, but I keep coming back around to skald. The idea of eventually owning that playhouse in Athkatla and becoming a patron of the arts during my Charname's retirement years is very hard for me to resist.

For fun, I'd like to ask people to create and post their own "BG characters in IWD" parties. You don't have to actually play the run, just go into IWD:EE and have some fun recreating a BG party that would be cool to play for a real or merely hypothetical IWD run.

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    There used to be a mod for the original IWD that brought all the BG2 NPCs into Icewind Dale... portraits, soundsets, special abilities and even a few items. It was glorious and unfortunately I've lost it and can't seem to find it again. Good times.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Great party! And cool portrait picks! Although Aerie may feel a little shiver with that outfit out in the Dale. :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2016
    @lunar , Little known facts: Avariel are evolved for flying at very cold high altitudes, and the cold doesn't bother them. And wearing skimpy, minimal clothing is an Avariel custom, because it leaves their wings free.

/kidding

EDIT: Seriously, though, I'm not usually a fan of fantasy adventure women in ridiculously revealing clothing, but in this case, that portrait was in the same portrait pack of alternate portraits in the IWD artistic style as the one I'm using for Imoen, and I thought the face and flowing golden blonde hair were perfect for Aerie.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Here's Minsc. I've made him a berserker, and I think I'll Keeper him to the same in my future BG runs. Does anyone know a mod to make this change more convenient? Minsc's dialogues, story, and character all imply that he is a berserker, not a ranger, and I think his berserk should be actually useful, not that stupid thing where he goes out of control and attacks his friends.

Although that is not the point of the OP , I must disagree with you - most of Minsc's dialogues and banters imply that he is a ranger.

edited March 2016
    @DJKajuru , no problem, I was wondering if someone would pick up on that statement. I was going by his first scene in BG2 where "...the bars bend and twist with (his) berserker strength". Also the fact that he has a berserk button (although it's a dangerous form of berserk which makes the player lose control of him), and he goes berserk when the gnoll in BG1 taunts him about Dynaheir. He also goes berserk in BG2 if Aerie gets injured down to "badly wounded" (or maybe it's "near death", not sure.)

Of course, you could counter that argument with his "Hamsters and rangers everywhere rejoice" quote. I can't think of anything else other than Boo being an "animal companion" that clearly makes him a ranger.

Basically he's a special case. But there are a lot of people who think the berserker class fits him better. There have been threads arguing about it.

I still like the idea of changing him in BG, but I plan to use the canon party for my first SoD run, and I hate to give up Minsc as a scout (ranger stealth), since Imoen will be focusing on open locks and find traps first.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @BelgarathMTH (which in my dislexy I read "Belgium Myth") , I understand that Minsc is much more prone to Hack and Slashing with a Greatsword rather than Stealth and dual wielding , and we are free to reinterpretate the rules according to how we think the character should be , but I've found Minsc's contradiction part of who he is:

"A bersenker ranger from Rashemen, who prefer yeling battle cries rather than sneaking in the woods, and has a hamster for animal companion, which is refered as a miniature space hamster. Also , when he's infuriated it might be wise to stand out of the way, unless he cuts your head by accident."

Quite cool, ain't it?

In fact, most nature worshiper npc's (Jaheira, Valygar, Cernd) question his Rangerhood. If he were just a fighter people would naturally see him different, so much that maybe he would be a different parallel character.

I'm no conservative , though, and I agree that we're free to change anything we want on our npc's .
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    are those really 5MB full-res bmp screenshots? :smile:
    @bob_veng , I don't know, they're just whatever happened when I pressed "print screen" in game and uploaded those shots from my computer to the forum using "attach a file".
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179

Here's Minsc. I've made him a berserker, and I think I'll Keeper him to the same in my future BG runs. Does anyone know a mod to make this change more convenient? Minsc's dialogues, story, and character all imply that he is a berserker, not a ranger, and I think his berserk should be actually useful, not that stupid thing where he goes out of control and attacks his friends:

No harm in lore for making him a berserker; he was a ranger as a PnP character and Boo was the animal that answered his call. Canonically, he is a ranger, but he is a Rashemi berserker as well. However the Hells that works.

@Insultion , I actually changed him back to a ranger later, because I felt like having BG2 kits in IWD was breaking my game (too easy, encounters not at intended challenge level, as they were not written and designed for BG2 kits).

I had the most fun with my "BG characters in IWD" run when I gave the characters their exact BG stats and classes. So, Minsc became a ranger, and Khalid became a single class fighter. I switched out Aerie for Dynaheir, as an invoker, and made myself a cleric.