Skip to content

I hate this game.

2»

Comments

• OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I agree with you. The first time I had this battle I was cursing at my computer saying
    This is BS
    had to look up how to beat that room
    Not my style of looking up the answers and then pre buffing
    MagpieRandoms
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    What spells do you use in choke point?
    fireandsteel73
  • fireandsteel73fireandsteel73 Member Posts: 31
    brus said:

What spells do you use in choke point?

I use web, grease, entangle or combination, dispel their magic's, then tank to stop any advance whilst archer, druid, and mage cast spells at the trapped enemies. usually wiped out easily.

ineth
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    BelgarathMTHFenghoang
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Kilivitz said:

I would just like to report that I went back to IWD:EE, built a new party, implemented some of the tips posted in here and then did this particular battle on the first try with no casualties. I should probably thank you guys.

But will you?
    semiticgoddessNimranlolien
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I hated Dragon's eye so much. It was almost as bad as Lona's dungeon in Divine Divinity.
    Kilivitz
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    Well, it is hard to beat the dungeon yes, what are your party? 6 Fighters? Haha, dear God. For how long have you played this kind of game? Baldur's gate? I've played D&D for about 9 years or so, and of course, that ensures me that I know what I'm doing, in my first playthrough I had it a bit tough, but it's not impossible. I find Baldur's Gate too easy, that is because I know the game inside out. The game is challenging, what's so bad about that? You have a difficult slider.
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    SionIV said:

I never had any trouble with the monsters in Dragon's Eye, not even the trolls. But that Yxunomei, she can go fuck herself, especially on no-reload games.

Buff up properly, and equip a hasted, competent person with the Messenger of Sseth and +2 Arrows. She'll go down in no time. No need to engage her in melee.

Frankly I think dealing with the bombardier beetles on the right side of that map is tougher. That's a job for the Black Knight Figurine.

Their saving throws are crappy. A simple web will do just fine.

As for the general complaints about Trolls, there are Fire Arrows, spells like Sunscorch, Melfs, Agannazars, and on top you find a truckload of those Flaming Oils on the Lizard Men.
    This game is all about combat, and therefore the encounters are challenging at times. But it is never unfair, and gives you the right tools in terms of equipment and surroundings.

atcDavesemiticgoddessdok0zhivago
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I just cast the level 3 cleric spell protection from fire on my melee guys and then just go crazy with fireballs from my mage, trolls die, team mates live, this also works great with the wights as well
    JLeesemiticgoddessFenghoang
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    The only problem I had with that encounter is that, after all this time, all these iterations of Infinity Engine games, Trolls still

STILL

don't fall down when they're supposed to.
    DaevelonEmpyrialMagpieRandoms
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Kilivitz said:

- Don't you love this job planning encounters for a D&D videogame?
    - I sure do!
    - Well, here's my latest creation: DRAGON'S EYE! Sounds cool, eh?
    - Sure does! It might be the most original dungeon name I have ever heard!
    - Oh, stop it, you. Anyway, I've got some great ideas for this dungeon.
    - Eh?
    - Well, basically, it's going to be a series of straightfoward encounters with Lizard Men which are way too weak for a party at the level you're expected to be at this point of the game.
    - Won't that be too easy?
    - Well, yes, but don't worry. I'm going to alternate these encounters with more straightforward combat encounters with monsters that are way too HARD for a party of the same level. That ought to make everything more balanced, no?
    - Can't see why it wouldn't!
    - So anyway, here is where they run into trolls, right? Everybody loves those because there's an element of strategy.
    - How so?
    - Well, you see, trolls can't be killed only by brute force. They fall down for a few rounds during which only fire or acid can kill them.
    - That's certainly an imaginative tactical challenge.
    - But wait, you haven't heard the best part! At the end of this level I'm working on, I've got an encounter with a few Talonite priests and TEN trolls!
    - *Ten* trolls?
    - It's part of my new "be hardcore" policy.
    - What level is the party supposed to be?
    - Oh, like 6 or so.
    - So this encounter is supposed to be a 6th level party against a whole group of clerics who have all sorts of disabling spells, accompanied by no less than ten monsters with low THAC0 and AC who have to be killed with a specific type of attack, lest they regenerate and attack you again?
    - Yeah.
    - You know, I think that might be too much. Most players are just going to end up kiting the monsters in small groups.
    - Don't be silly. We've got this new call-for-help AI script. You can't do that. They all gang up on the party at once.
    - I see.
    - Told you I was totally hardcore, man.

In IWD:EE Archers are the Kensage of Ranging. Include one Archer and one sorc with Melf's Acid Arrow and Dragon's eye is a cake walk.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The Archer in my party killed everything in Dragon's Eye all by himself. The rest of the group literally waited at the entrance while he was cleaning up the dungeon. And he wasn't even scratched in the process.
    semiticgoddess[Deleted User]
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    The biggest problem I have with IWDEE is they added spells from BG2, which are WAY too OP for this game. I soloed the whole game with a Sorcerer and at not one point did I struggle.

To be honest, it'd be harder with a party of 6 than it is to solo, since you get a ridiculous amount of XP on the hardest difficulty. I was level 26 by the time I got to Lower Dorn's Deep.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @lolien Good point.
    Goturallolien
  • Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
    I hated many hard places in this game. In case of trolls i killed a few of them with what i had then returned to the previous chamber to rest and reorganize.. I killed everyone little by little - it's supposed to be this way.. You can not kill all them at once.
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    The whole fog-of-war-divide-and-conquer strategy simplifies so many battles. It would be neat if there was a mod that pulled an entire group, fog or not, when one member sees or otherwise makes contact with your party. Would make things feel a bit more realistic.
    semiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @butteredsoul: I also look forward to a mod that would get me incessantly killed in IWD.

Seriously, I'd have a lot of trouble handling SCS-style calls for help in IWD. IWD is crammed with closely connected hordes of enemies.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Cloudkill, cloudkill, cloudkill. And some Fireball to.
    semiticgoddess
  • PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34

Cloudkill, cloudkill, cloudkill. And some Fireball to.

Great strategy !

Too keep trolls off the party, raise undead (skeletons, zombies) they are not affected by cloudkill.
    In HoF mod, skeletons are a must.

With a druid, you can use spike growth.
    semiticgoddess