Skip to content

Would you be interested in an improved Stronghold quest pack?

ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
edited March 2016 in The Road to v2.0
One of my disappointment when I first played EE was that new classes would not get their own stronghold.
At the moment, blackguard get the De'Arnise stronghold, monk kits as well, and I guess Shaman will get Druid Stronghold (@Dee is that the current plan?).

Each of these classes have quite a unique identity (and I must congratulate Beamdog for each of these new kits are very pleasant to play). But I believe this could - and should - be pushed even further:
Blackguard does not feel quite like the heroic guy that would save the damsel in distress assaulted by the Roenall. Besides there could be so much to do roleplay-wise with giving a PC blackguard a patron.
Monks are not usually seen as castle rulers either. Now that there is the Twofold Trust, I believe it would be super cool to give monk PCs leadership of the remains of the Twofold Trust, and a couple of quests along with that.
Shaman should get their own as well. They are not just a kit, but a whole new class, and as such they deserve, in my opinion, their own stronghold.

Though it seems less of a priority to my mind, giving sorcerers and/or dragon disciple their own stronghold could be a good idea as well.

Not too sure whether it is the right place to post this poll, feel free to move it if it should be.
  1. Would you be interested in an improved Stronghold quest pack?68 votes
    1. Not interested, the stronghold are alright as they are.
        4.41%
    2. Why not, but it should be free.
      32.35%
    3. Good plan, willing to pay some money for it, though not more than a couple of dollars
      33.82%
    4. Shut up and take my money!
      27.94%
    5. Ok, but only if gazebos are included.
        1.47%

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Shamans won't get a stronghold, it's a design decision.

As for the Strongholds' enhancements, I would gladly try them, if they're free (or a mod material) :smiley:

The Blackguard's or the Dark Moon Monk's strongholds would be especially interesting, since they would offer evil quests.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Yeah I would like to see more strongholds for each of the classes, should be interesting.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Last thing BG games need is piecemeal dlc.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    I can pay over $20 dollars , but please give us more stronghold quests , even system , engine improve upgrade , I hate EA style which release lots if stuff pack or small quests to grab your money
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    Messi said:

This.
    Already sad and a disappointment to see a cult classic and a timeless favourite have other things like the UI's and Spellbook screens etc. chopped up on the whims of these bucking new devs who want change for the sake of change to be 'hip' or 'cool' for a younger audience.
    Really do not want to see any more unfortunate modern gaming trends here.

Baldur's Gate with loads of mini DLC and microtransactions would all but ruin me for video gaming and depress the hell out of me to the brink of giving up on the hobby altogether.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited March 2016
    Stoibs said:

Messi said:

This.
    Already sad and a disappointment to see a cult classic and a timeless favourite have other things like the UI's and Spellbook screens etc. chopped up on the whims of these bucking new devs who want change for the sake of change to be 'hip' or 'cool' for a younger audience.

Baldur's Gate with loads of mini DLC and microtransactions would all but ruin me for video gaming and depress the hell out of me to the brink of giving up on the hobby altogether.
    I don't agree ..

If there is no enhanced edition , what your classic was already die for many years,
    Less and less new gamer has chance to play Baldur's Gate cause by OS-Issue and outdated UI
    Some people always say new is sucks , poor , bad , etc ,
    But they almost forgot how poor and buggy of original BG UI,

I think it may not real perfect , but I see enhanced edition is getting better and better and bring tons of fun which I almost forget in last couple years from OLD School game,

If you hate all of new contents and improve , you can install you BGT and enjoy your old and beauty memory ,
    Nobody will push you come here to see those sucks new contents ... really ,
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Stoibs said:

Messi said:

This.

I can't say I stand with you there. If you want to play the original BG, grab it from GOG or install it with the DVDs.
    And as for the mini-DLC thing, well, Beamdog are not exactly rolling in money, and I feel such a job would deserve a bit of a reward. I mean, Ubisoft selling a game 70bucks then selling DLCs for another 10 bucks each is simply grabbing money wherever they can. Beamdog selling EEs 15bucks or so and making a few DLCs around it, sold for a few dollars seems much more legit. They also have to make a living, and it is not that easy as such a small studio.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    There's a similar thread in the General Discussions forum, so I'm going to express similar sentiments here.

First, we need to unpack a few things: Monks predate the EEs, so if BioWare made the decision that they get grouped together with Fighters and Barbarians at De'Arnise Keep, that's probably a rationale worth preserving. I would agree that the Twofold Trust area would be an interesting alternative, but EE-specific areas are locked to their respective characters - you can't go there without Rasaad in your party, and even if you could, none of the scripted events would make sense without him. You'd need to completely overhaul the map.

Blackguards and shamans are different in that they're classes Beamdog added to the game, and who are markedly different from other new kits that could be plausibly incorporated into existing strongholds (in other words, there's no reason a Shadowdancer couldn't manage the Thief Stronghold, and a Dragon Disciple wouldn't be out of place in the Planar Sphere, but it makes sense that a Shaman wouldn't go to the Druid Grove despite mechanical similarities).

The problem is that in both cases, Beamdog chose the path of least effort. Nothing about Blackguards running De'Arnise Keep makes any sense - choosing Evil options in keeping with the class design will actually result in "fail" conditions and cause you to forfeit the stronghold. And Shamans apparently have no class-specific content at all, because suddenly it's important to follow sourcebooks.

Now, with all that said, the prospect of paying Beamdog to address their own oversights seems like self-flagellation to me. It's the kind of thinking that invites game developers to take advantage of their fans with season passes, horse armor and day-one DLCs. I have very few positive things to say about my experience with Beamdog over the past few years, but at the very least - at the very least - they haven't taken the nickle-and-dime approach. Asking that they start now feels like a grave miscalculation.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    bengoshi said:

Shamans won't get a stronghold, it's a design decision.

As for the Strongholds' enhancements, I would gladly try them, if they're free (or a mod material) :smiley:

The Blackguard's or the Dark Moon Monk's strongholds would be especially interesting, since they would offer evil quests.

I really don't buy this "design decision" nonsense. Sure, it doesn't make sense for Shaman to do the druid stronghold quest, but there in no reason why a shaman-appropiate stronghold quest couldn't be designed. Build a spirit lodge, commune with spirit animals, etc. "Stronghold Quest" should really be named 'class specific story arc" anyway.

And PnP isn't an argument: there are at least five different versions of shaman in PnP, and I can't remember which, if any, are forbidden from possesing a stronghold.

From the financial side, I see no reason why a BG2 mini-expansion, including the SoD companions, companion quests, and a couple of additional strongholds, wouldn't make a tidy profit sold for $5-$10.

Strongholds are a great feature for increasing replayability.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Fardragon said:

I really don't buy this "design decision" nonsense. Sure, it doesn't make sense for Shaman to do the druid stronghold quest, but there in no reason why a shaman-appropiate stronghold quest couldn't be designed. Build a spirit lodge, commune with spirit animals, etc. "Stronghold Quest" should really be named 'class specific story arc" anyway. And PnP isn't an argument: there are at least five different versions of shaman in PnP, and I can't remember which, if any, are forbidden from possesing a stronghold.

Even if that were the case, Beamdog have no room to argue that fidelity to PnP is a valid reason for design decisions. They created a vampire NPC and cherry-picked what rules she did and didn't have to follow; if it wasn't a valid concern then, it's not a valid concern now. (Except that now it gives them an easy out, of course.)
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2016
    "Why not, but it should be free."

I'm actually happy with the strongholds, but if anything BG related turned up for free I'd take it. Hence my vote. I'd like to see more development of the NPCs and their storylines though, rather than stronghold related content.

I really don't approve of paid DLC full stop.

A quest each for Minsc, Yoshimo, Imoen and Sarevok at some point in the game would be interesting, for instance: they don't really have them at the moment.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I don't get the aversion towards DLCs in general. Making content costs money, and providing said content to players is a service. Developers and publishers who chop up their games and release them in chunks abuse DLCs, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

That said, I don't care enough about a shaman, monk, or blackguard stronghold to have an opinion either way. And all the other strongholds are fine the way they are. Honestly, I would rather Beamdog spent their time on something that matters more, like fixing bugs and fixing the UI.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Dharius said:

I really don't understand that mentality at all. Either something is worth paying for, or it isn't. What difference does it make if it comes down a wire or on a plastic disk?!

Do you have money in the bank, or are all your savings in the form of gold coins?

• illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2016
    Adul said:

I don't get the aversion towards DLCs in general. Making content costs money, and providing said content to players is a service. Developers and publishers who chop up their games and release them in chunks abuse DLCs, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

That said, I don't care enough about a shaman, monk, or blackguard stronghold to have an opinion either way. And all the other strongholds are fine the way they are. Honestly, I would rather Beamdog spent their time on something that matters more, like fixing bugs and fixing the UI.

Thing is to pay for people to fix bugs, you need to have some cash to do so. I personally like the Paradox DLC model, where every major DLC is accompanied by a free patch that includes new features for everyone.
    I understand why some of you are against paid DLCs. There are more than a few cases of DLC abuse. But so far I never have had anything to reproach Beamdog with concerning pricing or such thing, and that makes me feel like they should be rewarded for such a remarkable behaviour.
    illathid said:

Adul said:

Thing is to pay for people to fix bugs, you need to have some cash to do so. I personally like the Paradox DLC model, where every major DLC is accompanied by a free patch that includes new features for everyone.
    A stronghold pack, even delayed by a couple of monthes, would fit that model:
    2.0 is a major, free patch that brings new features, and along with that could come the stronghold pack DLC (I called it stronghold pack because that's the idea that came to my mind at first but one may as well imagine more quest than simply stronghold ones, a mini-expansion in fact).
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    Fardragon said:

Dharius said:

I really don't understand that mentality at all. Either something is worth paying for, or it isn't. What difference does it make if it comes down a wire or on a plastic disk?!

Do you have money in the bank, or are all your savings in the form of gold coins?

That's alright. I don't understand you either. That's just the way it is.
  • AutocratAutocrat Member Posts: 68
    I would gladly pay money for a Stronghold pack. I'd even pay an exorbitant amount.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I choose "it should be free" not because I want Beamdog to work for nothing, but because I think this is best left to the modders. I'd much rather see Beamdog working on a new 5e game than spending time adding nickle-and-dime sidequests to BG.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Remember when DLC didn't exist and the only rough equivalents to it were expansion packs and free content patches?
    Flashburn said:

Remember when DLC didn't exist and the only rough equivalents to it were expansion packs and free content patches?

Yep, back then, patches would correct a bug or two and add 2NPCs and a handful of items. Yeepee.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    edited March 2016
    If it existed I'd have a close look and if worth would buy it. Much depends also on my impression of sod, proving or not beamdig can do new content now with higher quality than what was added to the ees so far.
    I don't care at all about dlc being abused by companies like EA as a business model on its own. In this case I see it would be work to do additional to what has been done until now, and I don't feel like beamdog still owe me. So if they have anything new to offer I'll have a look for sure.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    The idea of "DLCs" on itself is not a bad one. It's just often horribly abused (Day 1 DLCs that are mandatory to fully enjoy the game, patches sold as DLCs, DLCs that have practically no content...).

I tend to look at DLCs as expansion packs. Do they provide enough content to warrant their cost? Then great. If not, pass.