Skip to content

Favorite NPCs in BG1 that you miss most in BG2?

GlorfindelGlorfindel Member Posts: 65
I miss Ajantis and Kivan. Ajantis most of all. He reminds me of Sturm Brightblade from DragonLance. Without searching, was there ever an explanation from Beamdog as to why they weren't included in BG2?

Who do you miss most?

Comments

• KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Kivans fate is a mystery... However, concerning Ajantis: remember the monsters at the beginning of the windspear hills quest that you end up slaying that actually turn out to be knights under an illusion spell?

If you have keldorn in your party, he will comment that one of them is Ajantis. Sad, but true.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    edited March 2016
    Ajantis dies in Windspear Hills - he's one of the knights you kill while under the illusory tricks of Firkraag. If you have Anomen or Keldorn in your party, they will comment on what happened and say they recognized him among the dead. (Ah, I see KingGhidorah already mentioned that, I'm too slow at making those posts :+) )

A disappointing outcome for many, along with how some other BG1 companions end up (Xzar, Faldorn, Safana, Tiax). However, there are mods that attempt to bring BG1 NPCs into BG2 as recruitable companions, including Ajantis (more in the spoiler at the end of this post).

I think I miss Yeslick the most - he is a cool, stoic, badass guy with a lot of years of experience under his belt, able to assume a bit of a fatherly/guardian figure in the group. I really enjoy his character, especially with the BG1 NPC Project installed. Plus, BG2 needs more dwarves, especially ones that are not evil aligned. Gameplay-wise, his Fighter/Cleric multiclass would also be unique and with some levels and items, he could become a beast of a companion.

As for Kivan, there's a mod to get him in BG2 - Kivan and Deheriana. You might not like the "mellonamin, elfy special snowflake of elfiness who talks all the time" version of him, though. I sure wasn't a fan of that.

In fact, a lot of the BG1 companions have mods that allow you to recruit them in BG2. I belive most, if not all, should be compatible with EE, though it's best to check their forums/readme to be sure. I haven't tried most of them yet, so can't tell much as to how good they are. However, it is something to consider. Links below:

Ajantis
    Alora
    Branwen, Coran, Tiax - part of a line of One Day/One Weekend NPCs, but from their descriptions they seem developed well enough.
    Yeslick - It seems I should really try this one out someday.
    Xan - I remember it being quite decent - option to change Xan's class during installation, some special interjections, quests, a romance or friendship dialogue path.
    Post edited by Mivsan on
  • GentblueGentblue Member Posts: 39
    I felt robbed that Shar-Teel was not there - her background would make her the most likely of the evil characters to track you down to rejoin the party. I was also confused as to why she was removed from ToB (Elasthrea is an anagram of Shar-Teel if you missed it), though maybe it was because the developers thought that they would have to add a good NPC then (who could have been Coran, romancing a Bhaalspawn) or more likely that she was Sarevok-lite. She was the evil fighter-thief badly missing from SoA though.
    Yeslick is the other big miss but he has no reasonable plot reason to be in SoA instead of rebuilding his home.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Tiax!

I really love this little fellow. Best banters ever.

Unfortunately you can't rescue him from Spellhold. :/

Would trade Imoen for him in a blink!
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I found the coran thing in bg2 very confusing and unsettling.

I can understand safana being treacherous, but what's that random werewolf pack doing there?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I can understand safana being treacherous, but what's that random werewolf pack doing there?

Even worse, why is Coran standing outside a house that is chock full of level draining wraiths?
    Who's been caught out by that fight over the years?
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    Yeslick. For reasons mentioned, he had a great personality and voice actor. Bioware really dropped the ball by not explaining anything with him. A bit like if R.A Salvatore just stopped writing about Regis.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Call me a fool but I love Eldoth. His personnality was interesting and I'd like to meet him again in BG2

But well, I love every characters in BG1 except Garrick, this guy is so annoying
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    My beloved Alora of whom I miss dearly. I've been meaning to make a BG2 romance mod for the adorable little halfling but haven't gotten around to it yet due to university classes and such =/
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Seldar said:

Call me a fool but I love Eldoth. His personnality was interesting and I'd like to meet him again in BG2

But well, I love every characters in BG1 except Garrick, this guy is so annoying

Yessss, ssssir.

• sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited March 2016
    Xan. I can't explain it. He just makes me smile.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    All of them.

I think the "problem" is the NPC project. It's so damn good it's made the NPC in BG alive and unforgettable. Reading who won't be available for Siege of Dragonsphere is already worrying me.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Gentblue said:

I felt robbed that Shar-Teel was not there - her background would make her the most likely of the evil characters to track you down to rejoin the party. I was also confused as to why she was removed from ToB (Elasthrea is an anagram of Shar-Teel if you missed it), though maybe it was because the developers thought that they would have to add a good NPC then (who could have been Coran, romancing a Bhaalspawn) or more likely that she was Sarevok-lite. She was the evil fighter-thief badly missing from SoA though.
    Yeslick is the other big miss but he has no reasonable plot reason to be in SoA instead of rebuilding his home.

Agreed - Shar-Teel had probably my favorite persona of any BG1 NPC, and excluding her from BG2 was a solely missed opportunity to further explore and develop her mysterious background.

Incidentally though, I think the character that you're referring to was actually named "Ehlastra."

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    sluckers said:

I agree. I did a playthrough with the Xan for BG2 mod, and I loved the writing, it's good quality, but both in personality and in voice acting it was too much unlike the real Xan. BG2 Xan's personality is far more confident and the voice-acting too much stiff upper-lip English to my liking.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    For me it's also Tiax, and I agree with @Raduziel above that I would have traded Emoen for Tiax in a heartbeat.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508

My precious cinnamon roll Alora :'(

She's soooo sweet she has rotten teeth and gums!
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Tiax. He rules!
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Probably Kivan, although I never really used him since I almost always used his portrait for my character, and his replacement portrait is...unsatisfactory. I also like his voiceset and he has decent stats, so if I had to play as one of the NPCs, it would be Kivan.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Shar-teel the most. Coran as an npc not just a cameo.
  • CorelliaCorellia Member Posts: 22
    sluckers said:

Whatever.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Shar-Teel.

I seriously fell in love with this NPC thanks to the BG1 NPC project. Sadly, the two Shar-Teel BG2 mods are not really ... good.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Really guys? Like. . REALLY?
    . . .
    Khalid is MOST missing character from BG1 :bawling:
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited March 2016
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426

Now I blame @TrentOster for everything that happened to Khalid & Jaheira! :rage:

BWAH! Everyone knows that Trent's 19 STR comes from Cameron "Garrick" Tofer's bard song. .
    (jk Mr Trent plzz dun't kills my)
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2016
    Khalid kicks butt with a bow. Why do all fighters need to be on steroids with 18+ STR?
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited March 2016

The lycanthrope pack comes from the original BG/BG2 Bioware forum poster Lanfear (who was seen as a wolfwere as I recall), who was obsessed with Coran in real life, or at least appeared to be on the forum. The BG2 designers used a lot of posts as their inspiration for scenes in SoA/ToB, and paid homage to their most dedicated/distinctive posters (among them Gromnir Il-Khan, Draconis and Mencar I think) by writing them into the story.

I know this because I used to use the forums myself back then. And I am rather unhappy about the whole Coran/Safana storyline - blame Lanfear ;) but it was a nice idea in principle.

But I can't explain the wraiths...
  • CloutierCloutier Member Posts: 228
    We're all doomed.