Skip to content

Interesting customisation in V2.0 : name your own game

IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
By accident I found an interesting feature in V2.0.60.0, that may have been there earlier. I was using BGEE but, since the file allowing it is only present in BG2EE, it shoud work too.

By mistake I moved "engine.lua" file away from the game directory. When I ran BGEE, I couldn't find any of my save games. So I created a new game, saved it, and started looking where it had been saved. It was in a new directory in Documents named "Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition\save".
I checked Redmine for a potential issue but couldn't find any report. Then I checked my configuration a bit further and noticed the absence of "engine.lua".
After moving it back to where it was supposed to be, I could load my older save games.

Then I experimented with the content of "engine.lua".
engine_name = "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" engine_mode = 0 -- 0 = BGEE, 1 = BG2EE, 2 = IWDEE
Obviously "Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition" is a default name if nothing is provided.
The interesting thing is that you can customize engine_name. Experiment shows this is used to name the directory created in Documents.
This is great as you can now create different environments for each configuration of the game you may keep in parallel: bare installation, with X and Y mods, etc. This brings back the equivalent capabilities of multiple installations in the original games, where each installation had its own set of saves.
Or, with a single installation, you can keep you save games for different characters separated from each other. Switching between characters would only require to change the directory name in engine.lua.

Thanks Beamdog!

Comments

• AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Nice find, definitely has the potential you suggest!
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    edited March 2016
    This feature is the result of the unified game engine for all Enhanced Edition games (once IWD:EE is patched as well). As a side effect, crash dumps will always be put into the default folder "Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition" instead of game-specific folders (since that folder name had to be hardcoded).

(Btw, Near Infinity will make use of this feature in future releases, so you can always access your saved games even in customized installations.)