Skip to content

Bard Avatar is hideous.

Or is it just me?

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Clever!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited March 2016
    I agree, bard avatars are far too muscular, I'd like a more slim, frail, romantic singer instead of the swashbuckling powerbody we have now.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Bards use the thief animation in ee. In original bg2 IIRC they used cleric animation, which was way worse. Because they can wear chain, and bg2 thieves did not have chainmail animations they had opted for that in bg2, I think.

In ee, thanks to 1pp thieves have chain mail hooded animations and they look slick. There is no plate mail thief animation, however, which is a shame. A thief or bard can don plate mail wih uai and they revert to fighter avatar. Which is still better than what bg2 did:when you don a thief platemail you got unarmored thief avatar.

Human thieves and bards look a bit on the stocky side, I agree, but elven thief avatars are perfectly slim and graceful IMHO. So a half elf bard is the way to go for the romantic, slim, graceful bard.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    lunar said:

Human thieves and bards look a bit on the stocky side, I agree, but elven thief avatars are perfectly slim and graceful IMHO. So a half elf bard is the way to go for the romantic, slim, graceful bard.

Yes, but I think the ladies would prefer a big strong man strumming his guitar to a frail little flower plucking the strings.

Also as someone pointed out, most Charname Bards have high Strength. Muscular Bards ftw.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I actually like the muscular bard avatar, especially since, if you have the colors right, (I'm using blue and gold, currently), it has "poofy sleeves" at the shoulders, like a true "dandy" who works out with weights and does martial training not to be better in combat, but rather just to look fabulously attractive to the ladies (or gay men).

It doesn't match up with my more middle-aged character concepts, but, I was a lot like that when I was young. When I decide to run a self-insert character who has my youth restored as a fantasy, I kind of feel pretty good about that muscular avatar. Who can resist my charms, that way? I'm male model good-looking, so scholarly I know all the stories and lore of the land, I can cast moderately powerful arcane spells, and I'm magically musically talented to boot - in a world where my music actually has demonstrable magical powers.

Using the rogue avatar almost makes me feel "too sexy for my shirt". And isn't that supposed to be kind of the stereotypical personality of the bard? ;)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    To me bard's animation looks like Kenny from South Park, but after trying different color combinations for his clothes it ended up looking better after all.

And although I agree with everything you guys said, it is also cool to escape from the stereotype and consider that charisma 15 means that a bard is a tremendous performer who doesn't necessarily have to look like a model.