Skip to content

What does it take to create a new area for Baldur's Gate?

What tools are needed, where could they be found and what is the complete process of how to use them to create new areas within Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited March 2016
    Hello! I only know of this. I don't think there's any specific tool besides the usual DLTCEP, NI, WeiDU trilogy. For designing new areas I guess you need a graphic editor like GIMP. There may be more to it but 2D designing isn't exactly my forte. The integration into infinity engine games though it looks so painful to achieve seems easy in comparison. No wonder it's the least modded aspect of the game (though maybe one the most important).
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    Abel said:
    Hello! I only know of this. I don't think there's any specific tool besides the usual DLTCEP, NI, WeiDU trilogy. For designing new areas I guess you need a graphic editor like GIMP. There may be more to it but 2D designing isn't exactly my forte. The integration into infinity engine games though it looks so painful to achieve seems easy in comparison. No wonder it's the least modded aspect of the game (though maybe one the most important).

Thank You for the feed back @Abel ! 'One cannot learn if one already believes that they know everything.' So I suppose that from here I must trial and error my way into either success or oblivion to get a new area working in Baldur's Gate?
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Haha, yes, I fear so! Really the biggest part of IE modding is debugging your own work.
    I recall there are some threads on these forums by people who dabbled in area modding. Do you know of those? You may find more insights there and maybe directly contact the authors for advice.
    Abel said:
    Haha, yes, I fear so! Really the biggest part of IE modding is debugging your own work.
    I recall there are some threads on these forums by people who dabbled in area modding. Do you know of those? You may find more insights there and maybe directly contact the authors for advice.
    Okay well I saved the DLTCEP area walk through / tutorial and I should be able to complete a test area now. I do not know of these area threads my friend :-P.
    Abel said:
    Well shit, DLTCEP cannot load .BMP image files for new tilesets where the tutorial shows it can without error. Well times for either a new DLCTEP or monkey business with Near Infinity.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Are you using DLTCEP 7.7?