Skip to content

How exactly does the transition from BGEE to BGSoD work?

Are we talking an entire transition of the endgame party (with items and xp, based on savegame) with some losses along the way, or do you start as a single character (charexport) with some set default partymembers?

Comments

• prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    You can export from bg1 or start a new game
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605

I think that another option is just finish bg, and then it will work like the transiction SOA->TOB (at least i hope it will work like this)
  • LowkiLowki Member Posts: 31
    Yeah, it actually would be nice if there was a way they could do that throughout the entire series. It seems a bit clumsy to have to move files around in order to progress from one game to another
  • SeigmoraigSeigmoraig Member Posts: 14
    Lowki said:

Yeah, it actually would be nice if there was a way they could do that throughout the entire series. It seems a bit clumsy to have to move files around in order to progress from one game to another

I agree that would be nice, but this is likely due to limitations with the Infinity Engine.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    edited March 2016
    Lowki said:

i read it's one of their long term target
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited March 2016
    Daevelon said:

I think that another option is just finish bg, and then it will work like the transiction SOA->TOB (at least i hope it will work like this)
    Well then you need an expansion to describe the transition from Bg1 to SoD

A proper transition would be to start where Sarevok died.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    Lowki said:

Modders are working on this:
    http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=195
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    AlexT said:

Daevelon said:

Yes, after the battle with Sarevok, the party automatically transitions to SoD. This is indeed very similar to the SoA to ToB transition.

Of course, you can always import your party to SoD using the Import Savegame option.
    So are we able to loot after the final battle now?
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    Messi said:

Any items that are on the ground after the final battle with Sarevok will transfer over to SoD.

This is similar to how items from the Elven Grove transfer over to the Pocket Plane after Illasera is defeated in ToB.
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    I don't know how the ToB item transfer work since I haven't played BG2, but, what if there is no inventory left on the party?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Things that are on the ground don't get dumped on your inventory - they show up on the ground of the new area.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    AlexT said:

Messi said:

Any items that are on the ground after the final battle with Sarevok will transfer over to SoD.

This is similar to how items from the Elven Grove transfer over to the Pocket Plane after Illasera is defeated in ToB.
    Awesome.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Will Sarevok have his pockets filled with new, shiny loot now as well? :wink: It always did feel strange he had nothing on him...
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    What if you didn't kill all the minions before Sarevok? Are they going to magically transport along with you?
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353

What if you didn't kill all the minions before Sarevok? Are they going to magically transport along with you?

If you can't handle killing them before Sarevok, then you can't handle and don't deserve to loot them afterwards! :smiley:
    In all seriousness, I'd also like to know.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Lifat said:

If you can't handle killing them before Sarevok, then you can't handle and don't deserve to loot them afterwards! :smiley:
    It's not that I can't handle them. If Sarevok wasn't there I would steam roll them all night, baby. But Sarevok just wrecks everything. So my mindset is to always kill the most dangerous thing first.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364

Will Sarevok have his pockets filled with new, shiny loot now as well? :wink: It always did feel strange he had nothing on him...

Well, he should AT LEAST carry a 2HS (remember the one we find at the BG 2 start? at least we should get that one, although it is not anything wonderful, as you can get a +3 THS in ToSC)
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Lifat said:

Good question. Now that we are goign to get a new expansion it would be nice if the battle with Sarevok didnt finish until all the enemies are dead.
  • zed1300zed1300 Member Posts: 5
    So having just about finished a BG1 re-run, its probably best to save the final battle until I have SoD installed so I can just carry through, rather than finishing BG1 and having to import ? Sounds like you miss out on goodies that way ...?
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    zed1300 wrote: »
    So having just about finished a BG1 re-run, its probably best to save the final battle until I have SoD installed so I can just carry through, rather than finishing BG1 and having to import ? Sounds like you miss out on goodies that way ...?

It will make an automatic save for you just before the Final Battle. You could just load that save up and kill Sarevok again after downloading SoD I'm sure.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Wait, so we'll actually be able to loot Sarevok now?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it may be like bg2. you kill serevok it does the ending cutscene then goes into sod's opening cutscene.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    If you are in the middle of a saved BG:EE game because you started it before March 31, and then you buy and install SoD, will the transition work when you finish that save game with SoD newly installed?

Or, should I wait until after March 31 and make sure I have a complete install of BG:EE and SoD before I begin a full run?

The same question goes for the transition at the end of SoD into BG2:EE. In other words, is the only safe way to do a trilogy run with the transitions working as intended to have a complete install of BG:EE 2.0, SoD, and BG2:EE 2.0 before starting a run?
  • I would venture a guess that if you're playing an unmodded install, that you'll be able to take a game in progress into 2.0, and I would be surprised if the version change created any problems for importing characters. If you've modded your game, on the other hand, things might get a little hinky.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Thanks, @Kaigen.

@Dee or @Amber_Scott , Could we get an official answer to this question?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Your pre-SoD save should work fine with the transition to SoD. The only possible exception might be a Final Save, but even that you should be able to import over to the expansion.

On the other hand, if you start a new game, you'll get to see all new Tutor dialogue in Candlekeep, so, you know...decisions. ;)