Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[Tool] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy) for Windows

BigWorldSetupBigWorldSetup Member Posts: 6
edited December 2016 in General Modding
Don't send PM to this account because they will be ignored!

Because this amazing project: Enhanced Edition Trilogy ( BG1:EE + SoD + BG2:EE + IWD1:EE + first part of IWD2 ), we need to rise awareness of this community about this tool and encourage people to provide feedback.

Big World Setup (BWS) : Mod Manager for Infinity Engine Games and Baldur's Gate/Enhanced Edition Trilogy

by dabus

BWS-0-0

Information:

Project page: https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup/overview
Discussion: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/
Changelog: https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup/commits/all
Mod Request Template: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/58006-big-world-setup-mod-request-template/

Features:

- downloading mods (please see remarks!)
- easy mod installation for BGT and EET
- correct install order of mods/components (BiG World Project)
- handle mod and components conflicts
- easy backup creation/restoring
- ability to add you own mods

Supported games:

- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (standalone game)
- Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (standalone game)
- Enhanced Edition Trilogy ( BG1:EE + SoD + BG2:EE + IWD1:EE + partial IWD2-in-EET )
(IWD1:EE + partial IWD2-in-EET not yet created!)
- Baldur's Gate 2 (standalone game) / Baldur’s Gate Trilogy ( BG1 + BG2 )
- Icewind Dale / Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
- Icewind Dale II / Icewind Dale II: Enhanced Edition
- Planescape: Torment
- Classic Adventures

Supported mods:

- almost all of them

Installation:

Forbidden folders for you game installation, don't install you games here:
C:\<anything>... | C:\Program Files\... | C:\Program Files (x86)\... | C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\...
Allowed folders for you game installation:
C:\Users\<YouUserName>\Games | D:\Games | Other non-OSdrive locations
Warning for non-EE games (BG2/BGT/IWD/IWD2/PST, skip for Enhanced Edition): If you just moved you game folders, use this tool: IEGL to fix paths inside *.ini

Prerequisites:
- reinstall you games/prepare clean version of the games
- apply lastest patches ( Classic BG1/BG2 from GoG has already lastes patch )
- run each game at least once (especially after you moved non-EE games directory) and create a save game
- quit Steam/GoG launchers, exit games, close game/file editors
- create backups of each game
- disable you antivirus
- disable User Account Control: Windows 7 / Windows 8 / Windows 10

0. Download Big World Setup zip archive and extract it anywhere but not inside game directory:
1. Execute "Start BiG World Setup - Update If Needed.vbs"
2. Select GUI Language. It has nothing to do with game/mods language!

3. Choose you game:

4. Provide paths for you game:

5. Select default language for all mods:
6. Choose compilation: for the first usage of the tool use "Recommended" compilation:

7. Read "Installation F.A.Q." and then you can choose mods and components:
Don't install any of the mod/component without reading mod README!

[i] - button will open mod homepage/forum
Gray - forced mod, can't be un-selected
Green - recommended mod, based on the community
Blue - stable mod, it should install without errors/bugs
Orange - tactical mod, it increase difficulty or adds difficult fights
Red - expert mod, it can cause problems/it can overwrite files, read description
Yellow background - mod with warring, please read description
Gray background - mod must be downloaded manually to BiG World Downloads folder

8. If the mods have conflicts, you will have to solve them:
a) some mods needs another mods/componets

b) some mods cannot be installed together, choose one of them

9. Test download of the mods. Test locally present mods:
Download missing mods (don't extract) which require manual download and put them into to BiG World Downloads.

10. Start installation.

Remarks - please read!

Before you start to complain, you must acknowledge that due to nature of Baldur’s Gate mods,
community and rules especially about providing working hosting for mods and fixing mod bugs,
Big Word Setup itself is not capable to fix/improve some aspects of automated mod installation.
Despite our best efforts, you will face some minor problems.
It often depends of how many mods you trying to install.
Big World Setup is an overlay for Big World Project which itself is an overlay for mods.
Overlay for overlay for another overlay.

- BWS cannot fix mod bugs: there is Big World Fixpack, all mod fixes should be added to it
- BWS cannot change installation order: BWS use Big World Project from Leonardo Watson
- BWS cannot host mods: there will be always mods which fails to download, please ask author to provide proper link

You cannot distribute you mod via forum attachments. If you don't have you own hosting site, the best option is to use GitHub.com or please provide download links which:
- do not require chapta after several downloads (http://prntscr.com/6pk42t)
- do not advertise some adware/crapware/downloader etc
- do not expire after 30 or more days without download (every popular hosting site like speeedyshare, mediafire has such terms)
- do not require user interaction to be downloaded ( mediafire.com,googledrive.com has JavaScript download link generator that require user click)
- do not depend on the filename (dropbox.com/s/q72jpl132fj53lv/ModName-v1.zip?dl=1)
- do not depend on the file version if you enable SEO: mods.sitename.com/modnamev7 -> mods.sitename.com/modnamev7_1/
- it will not change when uploading/updated the same file
- it can be used by wget to check file size: wget.exe url --spider --no-check-certificate

Post edited by BigWorldSetup on
JuliusBorisovbrusChrysaorkovarexthelovebatFlashburnSer_ElrykCrevsDaakpikachu01JustLeftdady977BillyYanklolienBanArdKrotosMusignySo_LoWMikaalKirinaldoStradlinAbelDeathOfNamesVasculioMantis37O_Brucecomebackhome

Comments

• BigWorldSetupBigWorldSetup Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2015
    This post is work in progress. Reserved for common problems.
    Post edited by BigWorldSetup on
    lolienSssiksseilor
  • ChrysaorChrysaor Member Posts: 3
    Awesome project ;) Glad to see it continued. I wonder whether I can mod the android version of the game, as described in the stickied tutorial, but using this tool... I will have to try

Greetings from folas/ kerzenburg:)
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 245
    edited November 2015
    If this happening be sure to write/create specific points for Siege of Dragonspear coming up since the old way would probably not be needed anymore at the end of BG1.
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • BigWorldSetupBigWorldSetup Member Posts: 6
    @Jalily Guide is completed. Could you be so kind and add 'Announcement' flag for this topic?
    BillyYankJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 64
    I cannot give this amazing tool enough praise. I've followed and used it for years. Every windows user should check it out. Especially people like me who need their hand held, and for everything to be laid out in front of them in a clear and easy to understand manner, lol.
    loliensandrolIronhammer33
  • biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 196
    OMG this is amazing! gonna try it out!
    lolien
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited January 2016
    I posted this on another thread and thought it might be useful to include in the FAQ here:

BiG World Setup (BWS) is an automated mod installer; you can pick any mods and components you want, and it will advise you about known problems, conflicts and dependencies, apply the latest community patches, download the mods you chose (if you don't already have them) and then extract them to your game folder and install them for you in the community-recommended installation order. (You can change the installation order, but this is usually not advisable.)

BWS uses portions of the BiG World Project (BWP) -- bug fixes, language packs (translations and typo fixes) and install streamlining (e.g., some mods do "biffing" - compression - at the end of their installation, and the BWP removes these "biffing" actions from the individual mods and instead does "generalized biffing" at the end of the entire installation). BWS does not use BWP's install script for EE games.

The core goal of BWP is to maximize compatibility between whatever mods a player wants -- whether it be 3 or 300. It does this by recommending an installation order and by providing patches (via the BiG World Fixpack - https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/BiG-World-Fixpack) that can be applied to mods to solve compatibility issues (in addition to bug fixes) discovered through expert analysis and reported by users.

tl;dr - BWS is a Windows tool that assists with mod selection and installation; BWP is an installation guide (PDF) plus a collection of patches and scripts (including an install script that BWS does not use for EE games) that improve game stability for whatever mods you use. BWS uses some aspects of BWP but allows for more customization.
    Post edited by agb1 on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 4,201
    What is this EET you speak of?
    jackjack
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    Because this tool is implemented in au3, a Windows scripting language, it cannot be used on other platforms (Linux, OS X, etc.). If any programmers have time and interest in building a new cross-platform tool similar to this one, please PM me!
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 631
    I saw in a post that it's possible to replace the GUI without EET compatibility with one which has it ( replacing "10-Misc GUI.au3" by an updated file. I haven't found the updated file and haven't found either where to download it, any hint on how to give a look at EET through BWS before the release?
  • DmxDexDmxDex Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2016
    everytime i download and install the mods in i keep getting a message saying please start game, choose language you like, and create a save. i have done done this for both games. i have looked for a readme but am unable to find one. i have both games on steam. do i need to merge both games into the same folder? or is it because im trying to run the trilogy and its not released yet?
    Post edited by DmxDex on
  • fantasmafantasma Member Posts: 33
    DmxDex said:

everytime i download and install the mods in i keep getting a message saying please start game, choose language you like, and create a save. i have done done this for both games. i have looked for a readme but am unable to find one. i have both games on steam. do i need to merge both games into the same folder? or is it because im trying to run the trilogy and its not released yet?

tl;dr)
    you need to make a baldur.ini file in my documents/baldur's gate enhanced edition folder

longer version)
    Since patch 2.0 game no longer automatically makes baldur.ini file which is required for BWS to detect the game. So you need to manually create baldur.ini file by right click -> make new -> text file and rename that file to baldur.ini, until BWS is updated.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 415
    @DmxDex Fixed, can you re-download and test?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 1,778
    @ALIEN For a more flexible solution you could read the value of "engine_name" from the engine.lua to determine the name of the home folder name of the game.
    edited April 2016
    edited April 2016
    loaded up full update instead which seems to be downloading mods
    so i have installed the recommeded package. how do i start the game up with mods? i have loaded both baldurs gate 1 and 2 and no mods.
  • Aris4lifeAris4life Member Posts: 103
    edited April 2016
    Am i supposed to know what vbs files are and how to open them? because they are unkown filetypes to my system.

Edit: Nevermind...fixed it!
    so i tried to install BW with the recommended settings....but so many mods could not be found and had to be inserted into the BW download folder manually and even then i couldn't manage to install most of them with some error messages...is it possible that it doesnt work anymore with 2.0?
    edited April 2016
    @argent77 Will see what I can do.

@Aris4life Please post "BiG World Debug.txt/7z" and weidu.log form you game directory. User spoilers or/and pastebin.com. I've installed "recommended" compilation on:
    BG1:EE 2.0 - no problems, except skipped Tweaks Anthology components which are not supported on BG1:EE, fixed
    SoD 2.0 - added support for SoD, no problems
    Post edited by ALIEN on
    @ALIEN i see the problem now i think...i installed BG via steam in the default folder...so this might not be for me at all then...because i love to have my games in one place! Anways nice programm though!
  • KantuKantu Member Posts: 3
    I am not able to use the program. It keeps saying I need to start the game, choose language and make a save, all which I have done. I'm trying to use it for BG 2 EE.
    @Kantu Did you update BG2EE to 2.0?
    the mods are not showing up? i have baldurs gate ee and baldurs gate ee 2 installed. i would like to play baldurs gate 1 through to baldurs gate 2 with trilogy. mods are installed but no mods or trilogy is working?
    edited April 2016
    @DmxDex Please read and follow this guide again, then post "BiG World Debug.7z" and weidu.log form you game directory. User spoilers or/and pastebin.com.

Trilogy is not yet enabled as it is written in the guide, waiting for EET premiere.
    edited April 2016
    where is the debug file? and how do i make a spoiler?

ahh ok nm. shame would love to play this with trilogy
    their is no point if trilogy isnt out yet. i will just use big world project for baldurs gate ee