Skip to content

Feet markers

SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
edited March 2016 in The Road to v2.0
I'm usually not one to whine about petty details (especially ones that don't matter one bit), but I'd just like to understand what was wrong with the old feedback markers (foot circles) that warranted making them all squished and angled? The "move-to" marker also seems all slow and sluggish aswell.

Left : old - Right : new

Those things are one of the most iconic features of infinity from as far as bg1998 to me, and I'm just not sure what to think. It doesn't appear like an enhancement. It feels like characters could squeeze in and around monsters or obstacles when they cannot. The thickness is also aggressive to the eye.

I love beamdog and EEs because almost every new thing is optional and can be toggled, so could the markers have this "former style" option for us change-hating losers mayhaps?

Thank you for reading this embarrassment and keep up the great work!

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I was expecting a rant, not a well thought-out critical analysis. For shame!

(But in all seriousness, thank you for sharing your feedback. I encourage you to fill out the survey as well, if you have any other thoughts to share!)
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    edited March 2016
    i'm not in the beta, but i'd like to see how enemy circles look – are they also this thick now, or thinner than the NPC circles? in crowded mass battles, having so much circle visual around would make precision battling even more difficult than it is by situation alone.

maybe truth lies somewhere in between the old 1px non-aliased 1998-roleplaying cirlces and the new 4px blurry neon 3d-engine-circles.

nostalgia mode: to me, the old ones visually say "ah, back home to baldurs gate", and the new one say "futuristic real time strategical fast paced action neon blink blink". i will get used to them when playing though (just please at least don't make them flash or warp :wink: ).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I made a comment in another thread about how I think they're supposed to be circles lying on the ground plane, rather than circles lying on the monitor plane. Which I really like, although I agree that they're a bit thick.

However, upon looking really closely at these screenshots, I've noticed two things that, together, are really going to bother me no matter what the dev team does (and, I should note, are not really Beamdog's fault in the first place). The first thing I noticed was that the new circles don't quite seem to rest on the ground plane. The angle is a bit off. The second thing I noticed was that the new circles *do* seem to match the characters' feet. This combination is what's going to bug me, because it means that the feet don't match the ground plane. And now I can't unsee that.
  • TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62
    I like the original ones circles and pointer more then new. Btw, is there any way to disable them completely? New 'highlight sprite border' feature is nice but it doesn't work well with this cirlces.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Please, please make the new selection circles and waypoint marker optional. As a player of the IE games since 1998, and a supporter of all the EEs, these recent aesthetic changes are really baffling. It's all water under the bridge if Beamdog listens to feedback, so I hope they do.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I too think the new thick circles look bad. Like horrible. I'd even say horribad.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited March 2016
    I do like the thinner circles.
    Post edited by Doubledimas on
  • UlbUlb Member Posts: 295
    I would also like to see an option to keep the "classic" feet circle look around.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    I prefered the original circles and the first time I booted v2.0 I had to cringe.

... that said, you tend to get used them. I'd rather see the original return.

Maybe an option for original/new for both these and also the UI in general.
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    I have to concur with Ithual that eventually, and with enough zoom out, the circles aren't such a big issue. But I do think that at the level of zoom of the OP it makes a difference whether they are the v1.3 or v2.0 version.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Maybe they could scale dynamically with the zoom? I mean, it might be better to have more obvious circles when you are zoomed all the way out, but when you zoom in the hairline circles are plenty.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Latest build lets us switch back to the old circles. Yay! \o/
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    The "target markers" still use the new graphics though. It looks kinda inconsistent, so I reported it on redmine.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Well it's not exactly 1:1 (circle seems to freak out on larger monsters) but this is probably the best we're getting.

Thanks
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Pecca said:

The "target markers" still use the new graphics though. It looks kinda inconsistent, so I reported it on redmine.

It also still animates slower (The move marker).
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185

Well it's not exactly 1:1 (circle seems to freak out on larger monsters) but this is probably the best we're getting.

Thanks

Reported that too.
    edited March 2016
    Yeah it appears the non-humanoid classic circles are facing the wrong way. They're vertical instead of horizontal. Doesn't appear intended.

(that's a dragon circle for instance)

If they fix that + target marker, then it's perfect!
    Has the wrong position on bigger circles been reported yet? I wouldn't want to create a duplicate.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    SirBatince wrote: »
    Has the wrong position on bigger circles been reported yet? I wouldn't want to create a duplicate.

The wrong rotation/angle? yes.