Skip to content

Settling back in for a new run

Well, a while back, maybe a couple of years now. used BG:EE to finally finish Baldur's Gate for the first time, using the silliness that is an elf archer, I did my usual good play though, but ran out of steam trying to sort out Neera's early quests in BGII:EE.

Now with Siege of Dragonspear coming out soon and the other games getting a V2.0 patch I find myself getting ready for a new run through... this time though, I'm thinking I may actually go Evil... I've tried it a few times, but had real issues with it. This time though, I've finished BG:EE as Good, I've finished BG II (but not ToB) at least 2-3 times as good... I think an Evil play though is what I need to keep everything fresh to maintain momentum throughout the entire series.

So now just me plotting a Fighter/Cleric and waiting for V2.0 to hit to start this ball rolling.

Comments

• GriboeGriboe Member Posts: 47
    I stopped thinking about NPCs being Good or Evil to keep things interesting for myself. I mix and match as I wish and it's done wonders for replayability. I do stay away from NPCs who fight each other though.

Besides I can't RP Evil, hah. It just feels wrong doing horrible things and being a big meanie.

Currently running through BG1EE as a Dwarven Berserker with Tiax, Kivan and Garrick. And having a blast.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    I've played through the saga more times than I can count, but realize that there's still a lot of content I've missed, both in terms of vanilla content and quality mods. Silly as it sounds, whenever I start a new game, I tend to revert to a near-canon party with a good-aligned paladin or mage up front; gaming comfort food, in a way. Like you, I want to mix things up for this new release, so my next few playthroughs are dedicated to strongholds, NPCs, etc that I haven't seriously tried in 18 years of BG. Just starting off an evil F/T run, with a SoD-ready bard waiting in the wings... and yeah, the evil one will be a challenge. Good luck!
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Are you going to run a Fighter/Cleric multi or dual? If dual, how far will you advance in Fighter?
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Philhelm wrote: »
    Are you going to run a Fighter/Cleric multi or dual? If dual, how far will you advance in Fighter?

Not much point in going past level 7 for the fighter/cleric dual..
  • Scythe_KnightScythe_Knight Member Posts: 27

Not sure... on one hand a Dwarf or Half Orc multi will have a solid upper hand stats wise. On the other hand Fighter or Beserker->Cleric multi will have higher weapon skills, and possibly beserker rage.

I'm going with this because between the evil and neutral characters there's a plethora of arcane casters (Edwin (both), Neera (both), Jan (2)) and rogues (Monteran (1), Jan (2), the vampire chick I forget the name of (2), but the only really good cleric is a pure cleric (Viconia) so thinking a dual or multi to back them up will work best.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831

Not sure... on one hand a Dwarf or Half Orc multi will have a solid upper hand stats wise. On the other hand Fighter or Beserker->Cleric multi will have higher weapon skills, and possibly beserker rage.

I'm going with this because between the evil and neutral characters there's a plethora of arcane casters (Edwin (both), Neera (both), Jan (2)) and rogues (Monteran (1), Jan (2), the vampire chick I forget the name of (2), but the only really good cleric is a pure cleric (Viconia) so thinking a dual or multi to back them up will work best.

Annoymen is a pretty good cleric, actually and already has dualled from a fighter
  • Scythe_KnightScythe_Knight Member Posts: 27
    Elendar wrote: »

Annoymen is a pretty good cleric, actually and already has dualled from a fighter

However like many characters seemingly designed for a good play through, he's just not as good as a PC could be, unlike many characters designed for evil play throughs who are beyond what a PC can do.