Skip to content

Does caster level have a cap?

I know that damage and per-level effects on spells caps at level 20, but what about caster level for the purposes of dispel magic and such. Does that have a cap, like does your caster level for dispel stop improving at level 20 or 30, or does it just keep improving?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2016
    For dispel magic purposes, there is no cap. So a lvl 20 caster can not dispel a lvl 30 opponent. If the lvl 20 cap was there, they would have been counted as equals and had %50 chance for dispel.
    Thus, bards and inquisitors are very good dispellers, while multi class cleric or mages suck at this.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I don't think it does have a cap, no; but there are very few spells that benefit from levels beyond 20 aside from dispel considerations. Off the top of my head I can only think of Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    Do enemies use their hit dice when it comes to dispel or do they have to have a caster level, like say Firkraag. Does he have a wizard level or does dispel magic check against his hit dice?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    For non-PC classes, hit dice is used as the level. This is one of the improvements in the EEs incidentally--in vanilla, if you weren't a caster class, the casting level was one.