Skip to content

Is canon party a viable choice for a PC being a mage ?

Hey guys.

I was wondering is canon party good enough and strong enough throughout the whole game while PC/Char is a Mage ?

I'm asking this because the party composition would be 2 front line fighters , 1 Healer , 2 Mages and 1 thief.

And later I thought of DC-ing Imoen to a mage so that would be 3 mages and I don't quite like that, because it looks weak to me, but maybe I would bring in Coran in replacement for Dynaheir because Imoen won't be able to use her thief skills for a while.

Any opinions on this ?

Thanks.

Comments

• ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    If your PC is a mage and you bring along Dynaheir, I would just leave Imoen as a straight thief throughout the game.. And it should work just fine
    Grumsarevok57Dharius
  • GriboeGriboe Member Posts: 47
    It is perfectly fine!
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    One mage can beat the game, so two won't hurt (plus meat shields).
    Grum
  • The beauty of the canon party is that it has all your bases covered, so the protagonist can be anything and do fine.
    GrumBelgarathMTHKilivitzDJKajuru
    Kaigen wrote: »
    The beauty of the canon party is that it has all your bases covered, so the protagonist can be anything and do fine.

Until you meet Bodhi, and realize that you should have brought Branwen along instead of Jaheira.

abacusJuliusBorisov
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Jaheira's a pretty good fighter in the canon party, since she can use the Gauntlets of Dex to become a solid tank. If anything, I'd say the canon party's main weakness is a slight lack of spellcasting, so playing a mage makes a lot of sense.
  • Philhelm wrote: »
    The beauty of the canon party is that it has all your bases covered, so the protagonist can be anything and do fine.

Until you meet Bodhi, and realize that you should have brought Branwen along instead of Jaheira.

You know, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever bothered to employ Turn Undead against the vampires. Usually the only reason I use it is to deal with liches faster.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    bbgun21 wrote: »
    Hey guys.

I was wondering is canon party good enough and strong enough throughout the whole game while PC/Char is a Mage ?

I'm asking this because the party composition would be 2 front line fighters , 1 Healer , 2 Mages and 1 thief.

And later I thought of DC-ing Imoen to a mage so that would be 3 mages and I don't quite like that, because it looks weak to me, but maybe I would bring in Coran in replacement for Dynaheir because Imoen won't be able to use her thief skills for a while.

Any opinions on this ?

Thanks.

Yes. Good aligned parties have a considerable amount of melee help and not an over abundance of arcane casters. Bards are also a good choice.
  • Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    The only issue I see is might find your character and Dynaheir fighting over scrolls to learn spells.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Nah. There's no shortage of scrolls in BG1 (save for a few spells and I imagine that's going to be covered by SoD).
    [Deleted User]
  • I think in either game you can manage up to three spellbook casters without much trouble. There are a few scrolls which are difficult to get multiple copies of right away, but you can always ensure that everybody has a few useful spells at each level.
    Jarrakul
    The only issue I see is might find your character and Dynaheir fighting over scrolls to learn spells.

She can have the cursed Flesh to Stone scroll.

• Clumsy_DwarfClumsy_Dwarf Member Posts: 112
    edited March 2016
    I think in either game you can manage up to three spellbook casters without much trouble. There are a few scrolls which are difficult to get multiple copies of right away, but you can always ensure that everybody has a few useful spells at each level.
    It is usually those scrolls that get in the way of a strategy. I find you tend to have one mage working the way you want and the other just casting useful spells. The other issue is one mage will have access before the other to some spells. It is not a big deal, just something to be mindful of, you might have a hard time with 2 monster summoning casters or 2 web/fireball mages.

Philhelm wrote: »
    She can have the cursed Flesh to Stone scroll.
    Minsc can carry her around so you still have a canon party :P