Skip to content

PS:T HIPS Stealth and Line of Sight

ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
I had forgotten something about PS:T - enemies have a line of sight. It's interesting that if your behind an enemy they wont attack you (e.g. Dustman at the beginning will only challenge the Nameless One if they can see him) and enemies will only attack outside of their FOV if they "hear" a battle taking place.

I can't remember if the BG series played out like this. I mean technically you should be able to hide in shadows unless being observed, although I expect this might break the game and class balance. I'm not necessarily saying that it would be great to implement this in the game (assuming possible) but it's interesting to play PS:T and to get to the hell section (upwards of 20 Abishai, etc) and have my mage run past/behind them, which is hard because they don't always just stand still, they do the odd 360, move about, etc...

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I was hesitant to post this, but have been observing enemies over my current playthrough (excess of 150 hours - I wanted to see how a level 80 mage plays out), but...yeah - I made a mental note of testing it after the mortuary and throughout the game, and am pretty sure it does as described.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    this would be a very cool thing to have. i've never noticed it in ps:t, i must say.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited March 2016
    Whaa? This engine supports directional field of view?? That's amazing. I demand it be implemented!
    At least enough to check if you can backstab an enemy.
    I would guess that PS:T uses the condition for backstabbing as an alternate condition to hide in shadows.
    Sadly, not even the Line of Sight triggers in the EE actually support this, they are omni-directional.

Then again, there are easier ways to hide in shadows, all you have to do is close your eyes and no one can see you.