Skip to content

taking damage despite high ac

minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105
I'm about midway through ToB and jaheria keeps dying in about every other fight.
She was practically a tank at the end of SoA and has a AC of -13, but still repeatedly gets slaughtered, while Sarevok only has an AC of -6 and doesnt seem to have much trouble.
Am i doing somthing wrong, why is this happening?

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    A lot of enemies in ToB have absurdly good THAC0 and hit very hard and reliably in melee combat. If you rely on AC only, then your tanks will take a lot of damage. If you use Jaheira as your primary tank, make sure she casts Iron Skins on herself, that will help with surviving heavy melee hitters a lot.

I'm not sure why Sarevok is doing better in your game than Jaheira though, assuming you haven't cast defensive spells on him like PfMW. Perhaps he is using a 2-handed weapon and isn't actually being targeted as much as he can attack from behind Jaheira?
    wubblebob_vengArunsunBelgarathMTH
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105
    I havent figured it out yet rither, enemies just dont seem to be hitting Sarevok as often and thanks i will try iron skin just as soon as i resurect her again.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    In addition to Iron Skins, party buffs like Defensive Harmony, Chant, Bless and Protection from Evil are all quite nice for the tougher fights. Also if you happen to have a high level bard in the party, Improved Bard Song is absolutely amazing.
    wubblePteransemiticgoddess
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    See if you can give her some damage resistance items too.
    Any sugestions on that wubble? And yes i have a bard, but hes a blade so i dont use bard song much
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    Heindrich wrote: »
    I'm not sure why Sarevok is doing better in your game than Jaheira though, assuming you haven't cast defensive spells on him like PfMW. Perhaps he is using a 2-handed weapon and isn't actually being targeted as much as he can attack from behind Jaheira?

it's this.

btw. jaheira is still the best tank (among warrior npcs) in tob, with her iron skins.

semiticgoddess
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Having looked at the items I have on my only tob character i can't find any that give physical resistaces (my main char has resistances but they aren't from items, i've probably sold them like an idiot). however jaheira should be getting some fighter HLA's so the next time she gets one give her hardiness and that should give her a huge boost to physical resistances when you activate it. i'm sure there are items that would do it but i can't remember which they are or if jaheira can use them.
    edited March 2016
    Does iron skins stack? Anyways after adding it to her cleric spells i was able to beat Abazigal and his dungeon fairly easy without her dying once.
    I'm using big picture with ascension and some SKS btw
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Iron skins do not stack.
    Besides that, the only reason why enemies hit Sarevok less is because they might target him less as well. If you give him a 2H-sword, his range will be longer than that of Jaheira wielding a scimitar for example, and enemies will thus target her rather than Sarevok.

@wubble: Items that give damage resistance are very few:
    Orcish leather gives 10% against missile
    Belt of innertial barrier gives 25% against missile
    Defender of Easthaven give 20% against slashing, crushing and piercing
    Jan's armor gives 25% but can be equipped by Jan only.
    wubblesemiticgoddess
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Also worth noting that both Jaheira and Sarevok can get the Hardiness HLA, which is very good for tanking.
    lunarsemiticgoddess
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Jarrakul wrote: »
    Also worth noting that both Jaheira and Sarevok can get the Hardiness HLA, which is very good for tanking.

This. Hardiness also stacks with the item resistances above, making a character very tough.
    However in tob, best tanks are mages, as long as protection from magical weapon and stoneskins+mirror image are active.
    wubble
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Does Jaheira get access to the level one spell Armor of Faith, or is that cleric only? That would help mitigate a good chunk of damage.

Like @Heindrich said, buffs are your best friend.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Jaheira does get access to Armor of Faith, which stacks quite nicely with Hardiness.
    Pteransemiticgoddess