Skip to content

Question about MODs and SoD

I have waited years now to buy the EE's and replay the games. With SoD I felt it was finally time to put some money down.

While waiting for the release, I have been perusing the MOD sites and have picked a few to install. I was wondering if there has been anything said about current mods for BG:EE about whether they will still work when SoD is launched?

The few I am going to run are:
SCS
BG1NPC
Unfished Buisness
Isra NPC
Monk Overhaul (I'm Monk crazy in DDO and want to finally play a Monk through the BG series, I read this corrects the issue with magic fists in BGEE)

I think that was all of them. I understand no one may know, but just in case I thought I would ask. If the modders will need to rework everything again then I will probably wait awhile for my play through.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't positive which one I should use.

Thanks,
Delekahn

Comments

• DelekahnDelekahn Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2016
    Of course after I post this then I find a post about mods and 2.0 compatibility... I swear I was looking before, didn't realize it was called 2.0...

Looks like I will need to wait a bit for some things to work.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    we know ui mods will need to be updated

what concerns me are mods that require use of the journal. will all the quest/npc mods still work with the new journal or will i have to wait for updates?
    I've decide since I am currently excited about playing the game again, and a copy of the current BGEE came with my pre-order, I will just start the game now and not update to 2.0 until I reach SoD.

Here is my planned install order, does anyone see a issue with it?

Unfinished Business
    NPC Project
    Isra NPC
    Monk Overhaul
    SCS

Thanks,
    Delekahn
    yeah this is the main reason i out right stopped my run until sod. even if i did finish the game before the patch i'm sure reinstalling the mods will causes something bad to happen to the import save file. so i'm not risking it and just going to start a new game when sod comes out.
    I hear what you are saying, I am just worried that once SoD comes out the wait for these to be compatible will outlast my desire to play.
    This way I can at least enjoy the current mods and then worry about SoD later.

Thanks for the advice,
    Delekahn
  • NatregNatreg Member Posts: 100
    I'm sure modders will update their respective mods sooner or later. What I'm worried is that since Siege of Dragonspear adds new dialogue to the NPCs from Baldur's Gate 1, that BG1NPC will have contradictions.

I have only played vanilla Baldur's Gate 1 so I don't know how deep into backstory BG1NPC goes, but since I played the original game already I was planning to add this mod to give more depth to NPCs and I'm now worried that what they say contradicts what they will say on the new expansion.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2016
    I'd worry about NPC Project conflicting with 2.0, because it does a lot more than just add dialogues.
    It moves encounters around (such as placing the archer troop holding the sigil for Skie's and Eldoth's quest at Kagain's bandit camp just north of Beregost from the beginning of the game), it increases spawns, it changes character scripts (such as Montaron will force a fight with the grieving father in Feldpost's Inn) and it adds extra spawns in general all over the game.
    I see a lot of potential for breakage in all these major game changes when 2.0 goes live.
    the only part of the npc project that may need to be removed is when you romance dynahair and you get the kidnapping scene at the end of the game. other then that everything else should be fine. beamdog wanted the have the mod be part of the enhanced edition so it is canon in thier eyes.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @subtledoctor , If you're following the "Road to 2.0" thread, you see that there are all kinds of unexpected, previously unpredicted problems cropping up of all kinds. The 2.0 patch is a major overhaul of the entire game interface. It's bound to affect mods in ways nobody has thought of yet. Murphy's Law and all that.

I'd love to be wrong about this, but I have a bad feeling about it. I'm planning to stay away from mods for the next couple of years until I hear that everything has been fixed and all is right with the world.
    edited March 2016
    what about mods that require the journal? are those going to be broken at launch?
  • LathspellguestLathspellguest Member Posts: 60
    Also, what about mods class/kit such as Wizard Slayer Rebalancing? How will that work I'm guessing the rebalanced WS kit will operate just fine, but the items not covered under the mod will be subject to vanilla restrictions.

Does the install need to be modified at all, or is it sufficient to have everything in the SoD folder?