Skip to content

Please Pass the Cheese

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
What are some of the cheesiest tactics you resort to in either BG/ToSC or SoA/ToB?

Comments

• Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    I only used chesee tactics in BG2 (Rest+traps all day+full buffs+summons with buffs).
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    edited September 2012
    Rolling a spellcaster class.

Well... if you endure the first levels mages become awesome.

Anyway, the cheesiest thing I ever did was deal with the beholders by exploiting the AI's clumsiness with the fog of war: cast a AoE DoT and wait for them to die. Granted, I was underlevelled and that did cost me a Wand of Cloudkill over my original spell selection since I refused to rest (as always), but I still consider it cheesy.

Even though the Shield of Balduran exists.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Killing Drizzt across the lake... but then again, his in-game makeup is so cheesey to begin with that I don't feel bad.

Using the charm cloak on pretty much everything is a pretty cheesey tactic too... but screw it! :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    One main cheese tactic for me is that you can cast outside of the visual range of the targets with spells such as Stinking Cloud or Cloudkill and then hurl fireballs and potions of explosion without the enemy coming after you.

A similar one is to pick off enemies one by one who lie at the periphery and may be exposed one at a time. The enemy doesn't figure this out either. It's actually kind of fun to have Kivan stealth and pick off half of a mob this way.

(These sorts of exploits don't work anymore with the SCS mod, btw.)
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Wait of course I've missed stuff. I have a mind to write a post detailing the cheesiest possible run through of the baldurs gate series, where I show off different exploits in every area/encounter just to ruin the experience for any relatively new players :p
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Actually I don't have any objections to most of that stuff. If your life were on the line, wouldn't you try to do anything you could think of to avoid being killed? Surely you wouldn't walk up to a hostile mage and let him throw a fireball in your face just because it's "honorable", or you want to give him "a fair fight". He would most certainly not do the same for you.

Or I don't know, maybe a lot of people would. To each their own. But as for me, I'm going flood that place with poison cloudkill gas and send in the skeletons to take the fireballs!
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    ajwz said:

Sell items then steal them back for infinite gold

Same here.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    Summon a metric shite ton of undead minions and just sit back and kite while the minions clog up the enemies..
    pkloop said:

Summon a metric shite ton of undead minions and just sit back and kite while the minions clog up the enemies..

Same goes for wand(s) of monster summoning. I admit I have done this to keep Sarevok tied up in the final battle of BG1, after eliminating his allies.

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Defeating the chess event with Web and enough Fireballs to make the Mythbusters smile in approval

Closing the door after a cloudkill (To be fair, at the start of the unseeing eye quest they sorta do this to you so hey turn about is fair play)

Mace of Disruption on Vampires (I don't think this is cheese)

Getting over 100 FR on my Cavalier and laughing at Firkraag (Again I don't think its cheese. I was just prepared for fighting red dragons and that's something cavalier's are supposed to be good at)

Defeating the last boss in Durlag's tower using an entire wand of monster summoning. I felt so bad afterwards I reloaded and beat it without summoning a horde.

Using a cavalier in BG1/ToTSC period

Sneaking forward with 1 archer and picking people off 1 at a time

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Dragonspear:

"Sneaking forward with 1 archer and picking people off 1 at a time."

Heh, I do this all the time. I usually have the lone character who pulls run back to the party, where I've set up an ambush. I've been creaming Icewind Dale lately using this tactic.

I don't really think it's "cheese", though, I think it's just good tactics for a war party of six facing a huge, superior army of enemies.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Belgarathmth

I normally don't feel as bad about it once I can cast level 2 and 3 wizard spells. Cause then I open up with web first and launch fireballs into it (so sad they got rid of this in PnP with fireball burning web).

Still in some ways it does feel rather cheesy.

@Dragonspear:

"Sneaking forward with 1 archer and picking people off 1 at a time."

Heh, I do this all the time. I usually have the lone character who pulls run back to the party, where I've set up an ambush. I've been creaming Icewind Dale lately using this tactic.

I don't really think it's "cheese", though, I think it's just good tactics for a war party of six facing a huge, superior army of enemies.

I can sort of see a few enemies falling silently in the cover of dark, never knowing what hit them. But one would think some would still be able to cry out. And during daylight it's a different story entirely.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Kiting. Enough said.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    Robbing SoBH is pretty cheesy, but what is one to do with all those treasures just lying there; at least I'm not using the Bottle of Efreeti.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Zafiro said:

Robbing SoBH is pretty cheesy, but what is one to do with all those treasures just lying there; at least I'm not using the Bottle of Efreeti.

SoBH? Too many acronyms. :(
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    Lemernis said:

pkloop said:

Same goes for wand(s) of monster summoning. I admit I have done this to keep Sarevok tied up in the final battle of BG1, after eliminating his allies.

On occasion when playing IWD2 I've attempted these tactics only to have the enemy cast dismissal or banishment on gated demons or cacofiend and POOF my cheese is gone, and I'm like GULP! Rut-Rohs :-)

@pkloop

Yeah, I think Sword Coast Stratagems does this too.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    cut the cheese.
    Consider it done. :)
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Finger of Deat > Shadow Dragon
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    Casting protection from evil on the party, using a Gate spell to summon a pit fiend, and sitting back and watching as it tears my foes to pieces.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I cheesed my way through both games, but one time in particular I feel sort of guilty about, is that fight in the Iron Throne when you get to Baldur's Gate, there's like 2 mages, a fighter, a ranger, and something else. I walked up the stairs into the room, waited for the mages to cast something, then walked back down stairs so they wasted their spells. Continued until they had to beat me with their quarter staffs.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    ajwz said:

Wait of course I've missed stuff. I have a mind to write a post detailing the cheesiest possible run through of the baldurs gate series, where I show off different exploits in every area/encounter just to ruin the experience for any relatively new players :p

Do it!!
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Im suprised ppl don't fake talk
    @HaHaCharade: Yeah, that made me feel bad.
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    pausing casting spells/drinking potions/preparing to attack when I know a fight is about to occur and has not started yet

running and hiding, healing, and returning to continue the fight
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I just remember one I always do, I think this is cheese anyway.. stacking those unique AC reducing items that the game doesn't normally allow; ring of protection +2, cloak of the sewers and (I think) the ring of air control.