Skip to content

If i was CHARNAME.......

-I Would have had a Sheltered well Educated low Violence life...
-I would be a Wimpy Level 1 in a class of my Choosing...
-I would be around my Early 20's...
-just had 2 Attempts on my Life in my very Home...
-a 3rd while my Foster Father is being SLAUGHTERED, a very Powerful Mage i might add !...
-a 4th While Heading to the Last place he Send me , meeting "old Friends"...
-old Friends who turn out to be a Up stuck Half Elf with an authority Problem and her stammering Pet ..ehh "Husband"..who instead of Getting me out of this Nightmare trying to Throw me in even More Danger exploring Some Crisis i don't Give 2 Copper about.

that's about the Moment i Punch Jaheera in the face for her Invisibility Potion and make this the Shortest Saga ever getting the F*** out with a 24 Hour Head start to the very North , i read Neverwinter is Lovely this time a Year~
RaduzielPhilhelm

Comments

• DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    I always think about it this way,
    the person who developed the characters of Jaheira and Khalid had a massive ego and whined like a bitch.
    So much so that when their extremely unlikeable creations never got played with, they moaned and moaned until the story writers surrendered and wrote them up with far more importance than they deserved.

The "canon" party has to be the most unenjoyable aspect of the whole saga. It makes me cringe the way that people I would cross the road to avoid in any imaginable scenario are so forced down your throat.

I don't know if it's because I'm female and honestly that isn't the main demographic all games aim for, but saddling a 20yo woman with a bossy "mother" substitute and an annoying kid "sister" is the stuff of nightmares.

oh god yes... the canon party is the worst.. Minsc is Overrated , Imoen should try growing up another .....20 years...Jaheera needs a smack with her own Quarterstaff .. Khalid is the Lowest form of what a Fighter could be ...and never Trust a Witch....
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    So about your Charname... I think I burned his plague-ridden corpse in the Beggar's Nest district of Neverwinter. Sorry 'bout that.

Also, I agree about the canon party. I do like Minsc, but he is overrated in the technical sense of the term. I think that a better (good aligned) canon party would be Ajantis, Kivan, Yeslick, Dynaheir, Safana. I guess. If it weren't for alignment issues, I'd probably go with Ajantis, Kagain, Kivan, Coran, Branwen, Edwin (Charname ran off for Neverwinter).
    FinneousPJNybCR
    Philhelm wrote: »
    So about your Charname... I think I burned his plague-ridden corpse in the Beggar's Nest district of Neverwinter. Sorry 'bout that.

Hah good one~

But seriously , would you run around the sword coast Play adventurer after Multiple Murder Attempts and watching your "Daddy" getting brutalized , its not like you Know you are some God-Offspring..
    I'd probably go with Jaheira and Khalid since I am so sheltered and wouldn't know what else to do. However, I would part ways at Beregost the first time a lady says, "I'm a fine looking strumpet, ain't I?" I'd then become a drunken lecher and Garrick would probably become my best friend.
    [Deleted User]dunbardradam
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    If I was Charname I would be sitting in a corner and cry :D
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I'd probably go with Jaheira and Khalid since I am so sheltered and wouldn't know what else to do. However, I would part ways at Beregost the first time a lady says, "I'm a fine looking strumpet, ain't I?" I'd then become a drunken lecher and Garrick would probably become my best friend.

But this the thing,
    Are you so "sheltered"?

It's the equivalent of growing up living in the British Museum or some other world reknowned place of learning/knowledge/archive.

Far less sheltered than a village or smaller town. Far more Global contact, far more access to resources that wouldn't be available to 95% of the population.

There's an inn in the grounds, a number of soldiers/guards. You collect a sword for a guard because they have been drinking the night before...........from his bedroom and nobody bats an eyelid.

You chat easily to the assorted guests, you enter their rooms, you give them advice, you know how to pick locks.
    The innkeeper is on friendly terms, innkeepers sell booze.
    There would be staff all over the place and there are farms.

Where does this idea come from that you are "sheltered"?
    It seems more like a Uni atmosphere for Charname than any isolated tower with only a guardian for company.
    NybCRillathid
  • NybCRNybCR Member Posts: 27
    I always think about it this way,
    the person who developed the characters of Jaheira and Khalid had a massive ego and whined like a bitch.
    So much so that when their extremely unlikeable creations never got played with, they moaned and moaned until the story writers surrendered and wrote them up with far more importance than they deserved.

The "canon" party has to be the most unenjoyable aspect of the whole saga. It makes me cringe the way that people I would cross the road to avoid in any imaginable scenario are so forced down your throat.

I don't know if it's because I'm female and honestly that isn't the main demographic all games aim for, but saddling a 20yo woman with a bossy "mother" substitute and an annoying kid "sister" is the stuff of nightmares.

I don't think it's because you're female. I'm female, and I feel the exact opposite about the canon party... though I'm a bit biased, as I first played Baldur's Gate around 11 years old and was comforted by the pseudo-family dynamic rather than annoyed by it. I couldn't understand how anyone could dislike the canon party! (Although I didn't actually consider Minsc & Dynaheir to be "canon" till BG2. The first time I played BG1, I chose the wrong option when talking to Minsc and he attacked me. I avoided him out of fear for all my playthroughs until BG2 came around.)

Now that I'm older, I can see why a good-aligned 20-year-old would want to ditch the canon party. After all, you just set off on the road! You want to live your own life! The people who would connect you to your father and your past can only hold you back! (That's one way to role-play it, anyway.)

If it was me, though, 20 and just witnessed my father's brutal murder after fleeing from the only home I've ever known... if I wasn't too scared out of my wits to think, I would probably want to get to the bottom of who killed Gorion and bring them to justice. (Or so I'd like to think.) I would also probably be killed by that joker outside of the Friendly Arm, but, eh.
    BelgarathMTHArdul

But this the thing,
    Are you so "sheltered"?

It's the equivalent of growing up living in the British Museum or some other world reknowned place of learning/knowledge/archive.

Far less sheltered than a village or smaller town. Far more Global contact, far more access to resources that wouldn't be available to 95% of the population.

There's an inn in the grounds, a number of soldiers/guards. You collect a sword for a guard because they have been drinking the night before...........from his bedroom and nobody bats an eyelid.

You chat easily to the assorted guests, you enter their rooms, you give them advice, you know how to pick locks.
    The innkeeper is on friendly terms, innkeepers sell booze.
    There would be staff all over the place and there are farms.

Where does this idea come from that you are "sheltered"?
    It seems more like a Uni atmosphere for Charname than any isolated tower with only a guardian for company.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Charname had never been outside the walls of Candlekeep since being taken there by Gorion. Considering that Candlekeep is much more exclusive as to who can enter its walls by virtue of its "toll" (aside from the occasional assassin), as compared to Beregost, Nashkel, Baldur's Gate, Amn, and any other town or city on the Sword Coast, Charname should have had little exposure to the outside world.

Candlekeep is essentially the "ivory tower" of Sword Coast villages. Instead of bums and whores, Candlekeep is populated by robed scholars and apparently affluent visitors. Furthermore, I doubt that Charname had much, if any, experience with gibberlings, gnolls, hobgoblins, and all of the other creatures that apparently infest the normal routes. Even simple farmers probably chase off the odd gibberling, or have children that fancy themselves as adventurers. Heck, there are even children running around in the wild in some of the maps.

Charname should have had access to an education that most would not, but that has nothing to do with whether Charname was sheltered. Someone being raised in a museum, without ever leaving its walls, would be extremely sheltered, regardless of scholarly achievement. There's a big difference between, say, studying military history and being an actual soldier, after all. Education has its limits when compared to actual experience.

It seems to me that Charname was sheltered both physically and figuratively. In fact, Charname was kept within Candlekeep explicitly to be protected.

NybCR
    @Philhelm exactly !

Just look at Ferûn , that world is a cesspit of Danger. the odd Wolf trying to eat your face is even one of the More Harmless things that can cross your Path. Bandits , Hostile Humanoids from Kobold to Ogre and every Size in between , wildlife (hip high spiders anyone ?)
    Even if we take into account that CHARNAMES education had some weapon practice , sparring with Hull and Blunt Weapons to Fighting an Ogre twice your Size who wants your Belt and has no Problem to reorganize your face Structure for it is sure a Step up...

Even if you are Hard as Nails and don't give 2 Farts about that ole Gorion laying face down in the Dirt, would you actually do things like Set up a Guard while Camping ? im sure Imoen would rather chase after a Butterfly than bringing that up on her own , remember you just slept 15ish years of your 20ish lifetime in a save castle and decent Bed ...not being afraid to wake up to a Kobold chewing on you that thinks your Toes make a nice Meal.

Also look at the 4 people running into you, Montaron who would stab your Groin with his short sword just to hear your Voice go up 2 Notches , Xzar .....look...at...that....Portrait... case closed, and the Half-Elf Duo where one has been beaten too much and the other too Little... all telling you to go to nashkel and check out that Horrible Iron Crisis .. even if i wanted to find Gorions Murderer and want Bloody revenge, what makes any of them think i find my Answers there...i would run the INN's up and down asking for that armored Guy or rumors about him... not chase Kobolds through a Mine ..
    FinneousPJPhilhelm
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Also look at the 4 people running into you, Montaron who would stab your Groin with his short sword just to hear your Voice go up 2 Notches , Xzar .....look...at...that....Portrait... case closed, and the Half-Elf Duo where one has been beaten too much and the other too Little...

I love this bit LOL
    edited March 2016
    @DevardKrown
    @Philhelm

There is a lot of weapon training. There's the place where you practice with a party and kill wave after wave of summoned creatures.
    You deal with two assasins.
    You have a lesson where you spar and somebody shoots at you.

Now obviously it is for game purposes, but if you RP, you have to accept that for some reason, Candlekeep has a pretty advanced system for teaching people to fight a variety of different ways with a range of weapons.
    Which would be used by everybody there.
    Fighting is seen as important in Candlekeep.

You are told over and over that there is danger outside the walls. You meet a lot of people from outside the walls.
    You are given a dagger for an errand?
    Guards (who in real life tend to be ex soldiers who have gotten too old to be in the armed forces) make up a sizeable contingent of the people you know.
    You would have grown up listening to their stories of being on campaigns ect.

It's more likely IMO, Charname leaves Candlekeep armed to the teeth with an attitude of "don't mess with me" and if anybody even looks at them funny, lops their head off.

Certainly more prepared and more aware of the monsters ect. they might meet than the average townsperson/farming community member who has never traveled further than the next village/town.

There's also the issue of the age of the Charname.
    20yo in the quasi medieval land of the game wouldn't be considered a child.

GrumillathidNybCR
    @UnderstandMouseMagic There is a huge difference between education/training and actual, practical experience. I've been in the military, and none of the new guys really had a clue, even after going through basic training and AIT (just as I didn't). Sure, the veteran soldiers would tell their stories and impart their wisdom, but that isn't a replacement for actual experience. Training within a controlled environment is much, much different from being in theater on day one with a year to go. A lot of it is psychological, so knowing how to swing a sword or fire an M-16 can only get you so far.
    @Philhelm

I don't disagree with you about this at all. And that's why you do start the game at level 1. But that doesn't affect how Charname would behave.
    If anything they would be a complete know it all surely?
    They must realise they come from an immensly priviledged background with possibly the best available education in the land and quite extensive weapons training.

IN TOB the mercenaries in Amkethran are being trained to fight against summoned monsters. You have had that training available to you since being old enough to hold a weapon.

Or are we really meant to believe that the first and only time you train with the summons is the day you are leaving.....that nobody is meant to know about.
    Kind of a side thought from Gorion,
    "BTW, Charname's been hanging around here for years I wonder if you would be so good as to train them a bit today as I forgot to get around to it over the last 19 odd years, oops my bad".

Of course it does beg the question why Candlekeep needs all this security (confused) when actually it lets any Tom, Dick or Harry into the place with an old book.

illathid